Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Places We'll Go With Chevy - Part One

New Mexican Rattlesnake


Our road trip to and from Utah was amazing--not only because we we got to drive the 2010 Chevy Traverse there and back plus some (Chevy took it away yesterday--whah), but also because we got to visit some spectacular places. But not before I got lost in Denton, Texas at 9 o'clock at night. True story.

Then it was: "Amarillo by morning, up from Dallas Fort Worth. Everything that we got is in the Chevy Traverse." My husband threatened to leave me on the side of the road if I sang that ever again.

Personally, I thought it was rather clever.

And we did make it to Amarillo by 3 am. Or so. Team Hall 'N Nass on Twitter and my friend, Berry Lowman, kept me awake. That and the two Monster drinks and three Dr Peppers I drank.

By the way, I have a very useful tip for you: When asked in Utah what kind of drink you're drinking, just answer "a sparkling lemonade" if sipping a Monster or "canned prune juice" while covering the words "Dr Pepper" unless you want a lecture on the consequences of caffeine. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And then I almost died.

Sunday morning as the sun was rising over the New Mexican high desert, the caffeine had finally taken a toll on my dear husband who suddenly needed to make a major contribution to the nearest city. Alas, there was no nearby cities to speak of. Just a closed rest stop and an old abandoned gas station a quarter-mile from the interstate down a gravelly road. So my husband pulled over faster than a fly on crap and made his contribution on the side of the road. Even though there was an abandoned farm building just on the other side of this fence.

Sunrise over New Mexico Field


And it was also that photograph that nearly got me killed.

Because as we traced my footsteps in the pink New Mexican sand, we both saw this:

New Mexican Rattlesnake


Well actually, my husband spotted it first. If it hadn't been so cold that morning, that rattlesnake would have surely bitten me. Especially since I had stepped within six inches of it's grasp. SIX inches.

So I carefully walked the four feet back to the Chevy Traverse, snapped a few quick photographs, and then we headed off to Soda Dam Falls, New Mexico where I jumped out and took this photo:

Soda Dam Falls, New Mexico


We then drove on trying to find Jemez Springs, stopping at Battleship Rock for a moment.

Battleship Rock, New Mexico


While there, I told my middle child that he was going to laugh when he saw pictures of himself when he got older..."Nuh uh, NOPE!" was all he had to say to that:

Silly Face


After somehow missing Jemez Springs, we decided we'd see how the Chevy Traverse handled unpaved roads. So, we took a short cut which ended up not being so short back to the main highway that would take us to Colorado and then to Utah. Let me just say that it was the quietest and easiest road to maneuver in the Chevy Traverse. It definitely would have been a far different experience in my present vehicle. But more on that later.

Chevy Traverse on Powdery Roads


The rest of our road trip to Price, Utah is coming up soon. And in case you were wondering, this is not my review. I'm still working on that.

Disclosure: Chevy sponsored our summer vacation with a 2010 Chevy Traverse. Duh.

10 Comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

I never got a lecture on caffeine in Utah... Well, kind of, once, but he was an a-hole.

K. Erickson said...

Okay. I have to know what kind of camera and lens set up you are using. The photos lately are just phenomenal. The photo of the two pickups almost looks like a pastel or oil painting. I'm jealous. I want to take awesome photos, too.

Kristen said...

I think your song is very clever! And whew, you were lucky with that rattler...those things are mean and aggressive as all get out when not in torpor. Glad y'all had a great trip, and as always, beautiful pictures!

BK said...

Yup, I think the song is clever :) We were in Amarillo Wednesday too!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Boob, You're lucky.

K Erickson, just a Nikon D40 with either my kit lens or 55-200mm VR lens.

Kristen and BK, Yes! Now I can tell my husband he was wrong and I have back-up.

DangGina said...

Did you really get scolded about caffiene in Utah? I'm from there, and I drink Coca Cola all I want, and I don't hear BOO about it. Weird...

Umm, your pictures are gorgeous. Makes me want to leave on vacay even more...too bad vacay's still a ways away...

Beth Zimmerman said...

I was singing along with you! I think it was a lovely song!

BTW ... I joined your happy little tribe of followers while you and Chevy were out braving caffeine and rattlers. I'd love it if you'd come see me sometime! :)

Beth
http://www.bethszimmerman.com

Anonymous said...

Too much HDR.

<3 Dr Pepper

Screwed Up Texan said...

DangGina, Maybe I'm just a magnet for pep talks.

Beth, thanks for the add.

Anon, I agree, although I only barely know what you are talking about.

Candance said...

Okay, you got lost in Denton? Yeah, I know it's ME finding that funny, but what the hell ever. Why didn't you call me? If I couldn't have helped you, I could've asked Lucille. Well, unless this all happened while I was gone to a place without any cell reception to speak of.

Always reply to lectures regarding the consequences of caffeine with lectures about the consequences of you without caffeine. Drive the point home by making the crazy eyes if possible.

Heck, with all the traveling I've been doing and all the lunatics I seem to attract, Chevy needs to sponsor me if for nothing else than the entertainment factor ;0).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin