Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Still Hate Liver

Trentsilly2


I was probably twenty-six when I finally came to terms with being a mother. Indeed, I had already been a mother for five years at this point. However, I had never really felt accustomed to nor embraced fully what all motherhood meant. Responsibility. Patience. Love for someone more than myself. In fact, I had only began to love myself after a difficult childhood and also was learning to love my newly wed husband when I first became pregnant one snowy and very windy winter in Wyoming.

Ever since I was a little girl I knew I wanted to be a mother. Perhaps I knew this because it was ingrained into my mind that getting married and having children was what all grown-up girls did. It would never cross my mind until I had children of my own that not all women want to or can be mothers of little baby humans. In fact, sometimes I think that if I knew then what I know now, then I'd only be the mother of little doggies.

I mean, there's stinky diapers, multiple late night feedings, nipples that need soothing and bottles that need washing. Then when those little crying creatures get older it's all about the no privacy, the mounds of laundry that need washing, and the fact that you can't get one darn thing done because the kid is either whining, crying or all of the above and God forbid in the middle of Walmart. Let's not even mention the perfect little angels that loved spaghetti from Yours Truly last week, but would now rather hide it behind the refrigerator.

Not that I didn't do that when I was a child myself. I guess it's payback time.

When I was a little girl I used to be sneaky about hiding my vegetables. I was so good that I ended up being malnourished. Well partly I think that was because we were poor, but regardless I was a good food magician. Then the bad news came from the doctor: I was iron deficient. The doctor's cure? Liver and vegetables. This doctoral solution when I was five is probably the reason I dislike doctor's orders even to this day.

And also why I haven't been to one in five years. I'm such a naughty girl.

So when I wasn't licking my napkin with my tongue to get the nasty liver taste off of it, then I was stuffing green beans down my shorts and then hightailing it to the restroom to flush them all down the toilet. My parents were oblivious to my vegetable hiding until one day when I excused myself to use the restroom and step by step the green beans began to drop out. I was almost to the restroom that lay on the other side of the trailer house we lived inside of in Denton, Texas when my mother called me back to the table. I never put food in the pants again. I soon found out hiding them in a glass of milk doesn't work either.

Which is why my kids are so screwed when it comes to dinnertime because I really do know all the tricks to the dinner table.

So, when I was twenty-seven years old I finally came to terms with being a mom for the first time in my life. When before I looked at motherhood as being a chore and something I wasn't ready for and felt was thrust upon me, I finally changed my mind. I didn't suddenly begin to love my kids--I already did very much. I didn't suddenly become patient with them--just a little bit. I didn't suddenly even want to hug on them and kiss them every minute--dude, one of them smells like crap every single cotton pickin' day. None of them even listen to me. Mostly, I realized I was too old to play with my food anymore and so I just quit wanting to hide it.

Since having decided to be a mother and grown-up, I now love being around each of my children a whole lot more. Well except when they break dishes throwing them down the stairs and the youngest wipes his rear on yet another one of my bath towels and then hangs it back up for me the dry my hair off with. That's when I go hide in the closet. After taking another shower.

And honey, the closet is a very nice place to be.

PS: I still hate liver.

6 Comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

Ugh, liver.

mindy said...

Ohhhh...liver. Gross. I'm crying for you a little bit right now because I'm pretty sure if I had EVER had to eat liver that would have been the very end of me. And I hope to God that being a good mother doesn't require wanting to ALWAYS be around them your kids because too much of anything is never good for the soul. Except for wine. Or pizza. Oh, and banana pudding. In fact, any combination of the above actually helps me be around my kids. :)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Candance said...

I like your honesty. It's refreshing. It took me a while to come to terms with being a mom (I'm not even sure I have yet, honestly), so I totally get you. Kids are rough. Being around them all the time is real rough which is why I don't mind being a single mom. I know, at least once a month, I will be kid free. I count down until those days.

Liver is gross. It just looks gross. And smells gross.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Boob, you can say that again.

Mindy, I love you just a little more...mostly because you mentioned banana pudding.

Candance, Your words are refreshing. It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there that feels this way...although I am not single and dont know any babysitters that dont charge out the whazoo so I never get a break unless we drive out to Utah.

DangGina said...

For the love of Pete! There are LOTS of ways to get iron! Why on earth would a doctor remediate iron-deficiency with LIVER of all things?!

I guess he did it so that we'd get to enjoy this post years later... :)

I'm iron-deficient too (a recent discovery, damn!)...I stick with red meat and greens...

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I used to just sit there until the rest of the family gave up and left me with my lima beans. They I'd shove them down the garbage disposal.

I still hate them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin