Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Refuse to Call It a Diet

Amy @ I Heart Faces

My multi-talented friend, Amy of I Heart Faces and Living Locurto, took this photo of me. I'm showing this photo of me because the ones I took scare me.

Almost one week ago, I made a decision that would not only affect my life, but also the lives of those around me: I chose to limit my caloric intake. That's right folks, I decided to stop eating so dang much. And friends, readers, pals...that means I feel like a woman with major PMS. In fact, more than once I've had to remind my husband that I'm not a witch--I'm your wife. Name that movie.

Now, I refuse to call my quest to reduce calories a diet. I don't diet. I don't like diets. I've never been the kind to try diets. When you watch the video below you'll understand. Let's just say Slim Fast in the 90s put me off to diets...and the forty-billion people that walked into the health food stores I worked at as a young adult asking about the Atkins Diet.

Am I still a young adult? Even at almost 30?

I've actually been thinking about eating healthier for awhile. Natalie from Nat the Fat Rat inspired me with this photo. Mindee from Our Front Door inspired me further. Except Mindee doesn't eat sugar and honestly I can't do without that. Natalie just has a naturally fine body--no fair.

In the video below you'll hear how I say I weigh as much as my husband's grandmother. What you won't hear me say is exactly how much that is...mostly because I don't want to embarrass myself. And I respect old people. My Texan upbringing taught me that. If you know my husband's grandmother, then you know that I am not talking about a huge amount of weight. Certainly some others weigh more and would kill to be the size I am. But like Mindee, I don't feel good at this size (well the boobs are a plus). A change would be good for me. Plus I am afraid of the health consequences if I pack on anymore pounds...

My mother has been overweight her entire life. Her mother is overweight. My great-grandmother was overweight. My mother has Type II diabetes. All of them have high blood pressure. This is a cycle in my family. I'm not ready to join them.

So here's my attempt to vlog about what has to be the hardest decision of my life: losing 35 pounds. I thought it was only 20. Please excuse my poor attempt to record myself. I don't have a video cam and so I had to use my cell phone. Next time I'll turn off the annoying beeping notifications.




PS: If you have any questions or comments about my approach or just want to name that movie or tell me I'm still young, feel free to do so in the comments. However, no need to tell me my underwear is showing...check.

17 Comments:

jennifer said...

I don't normally comment. I just wanted to share something we found. It is not dieting it is just gettting back to basics. www. Greensmoothiegirl.com. Her name is Robyn and she has a great story.I have been doing the greensmoothie thing for the past month and or so and I love it.
Good luck!

MidwestTwinGirl said...

Yay!
I can name that movie! The Princess Bride, my favorite comedy of all time.


And kudos to you for going for portion control! I've been trying to get my husband to buy into that because he works out, and eats relatively healthy, but he eats way to much in one sitting, when he should be spreading out his calorie intake to keep his metabolism up. At least that's what I've been told helps.

Good Luck!

NatTheFatRat said...

Number one, you are sweet. Number two, will I ever look like that again?? Number three, not eating after 7pm is the trick I will swear by until the day I die. Good luck! I'll be right there with you in three months (and I CAN'T WAIT).

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Probably this isn't the best time to mention that I have welcomed sugar back into my life with open arms and in order to make up for the neglect am inhaling it in all its forms?

But good luck to you! ;)

The Boob Nazi said...

Yesterday, I ate fruit, bran cereal, mini wheats, chicken, chicken and rice, and popsicles. If I hadn't eaten 4 popsicles, it would've been a better day haha.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Jennifer, thanks for the comment and link, I'll go check her out!

MidwestTwinGirl, first,are you a twin? I am!

Second, Kudos to you for naming that movie! My fave too!

Threes, I learned in college that all that really matters is calorie intake in the end. Oh and exercise but I'm not ready to take that step.

Nat, You dont eat after 7P??? Not even nachos with the Holbs? I'm keeping my fingers crossed your body goes back to it's fabulousness. You keep your fingers crossed for me too?

Mindee, Darn you! LOL

Screwed Up Texan said...

Boob, first I dont know how I missed you! Second, I almost bought popsicles yesterday. I think I can get calorie free.

Jane said...

Eh, you're already well-proportioned and beautiful, but I'll support you in your new endeavor. I won't send you that fried Twinkie recipe I wanted you to try.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Jane, oh please send me the fried Twinkie recipe! Even if I only get one bite, that's one bite of heaven I can live with.

Travis Erwin said...

Great picture and I truly believe you are as young as you want to be regardless of your years on earth.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Travis, smart man...tells me how young I am without even mentioning my weight. All the gals must like you! ;)

BK said...

Oh yes, I love reading about people going on diets while I run around eating brownies. Really gooey, fresh out of the oven homemade brownies too. Oh, btw the movie is the Princess Bride!

Screwed Up Texan said...

BK, Youre killing me here.

Candance said...

I couldn't hear the audio, so I'll have to try again later. I'm proud of you, even though you already look great. Maybe you'll inspire me to start working out and doing good again cause I was starting to see positive changes. However, my problem isn't so much with the food (since quitting Little Debbie cold turkey), but with the drinky. I'm not sure I can totally cut out the booze though, cause drinking makes me a better mother. Granted, I do most of my drinking when they're not around, as if to celebrate my freedom, but what-the-hell-ever.

Good luck! You go!! There's a hot guy outside my window. Apartments are good sometimes.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Candance, Darn! on my laptop i had to use my earphones to hear it. Maybe next time I'll have a better video. Did I just say next time?

Stacie said...

I dropped my winter/holiday weight by cutting back my portions and eating teeny tiny dinners before 7pm. And, um, I don't drink any sodas. Ever....including Dr. Pepper. :/

Screwed Up Texan said...

Stacie, That must hurt not drinking Dr Pepper. I guess if all else fails I can always smack my lips with my Dr Pepper chapstick. Congrats on losing weight.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin