Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Stinky Feet - Guest Post by Arena of The Nerd's Wife


Howdy, y'all! My name is Arena, and I'm the Nerd's Wife

About a year ago, I married the man of my dreams, who just happens to be a Nerd. Since we started dating, I've come to know a lot about video games, Star Trek and flanges.

When I'm not contemplating Life, The Universe and Everything, I enjoy reading and cooking new recipes. You can check out my blog to hear more about all of our nerdy adventures, the books I'm reading, the recipes I'm cooking and, really, just what I'm living.

When Allie asked me to guest post here, I was *so* excited. I called everyone I know (true story) and bragged about getting to post on one of my favorite blogs of all time (This is Screwed Up Texan, and I'm blushing).

But then, I had to sit down and think. What cool, funny story could I possibly have to share?

And then it hit me.

Two summers ago, we went camping with a couple of our friends, April and Eric.

We rented a campsite in the Enchanted Rock State Natural Area near Fredericksburg, Texas. (Hi Arena! This is Screwed Up Texan again--we love Enchanted Rock too!)

It was a fun weekend. James and I had lived together for about six months, but we were still learning about each other.

You know, those quirky little things that your significant other will do when their defenses are down and they wholly trust you?

Like the fact that I *hate* wearing makeup and will only wear it if it's completely necessary.

Or how James keeps an army of empty Dr Pepper cans near his computer because he's too lazy to throw them away he likes the support.

Well, I learned something about my future husband during this camping trip that I will never, ever forget.

You see, the cool thing about this state park is that there is this *huge* slab of pink granite (Enchanted Rock) that you can climb.

And by goodness, we were going to climb it.

We got there early Saturday morning and checked in to our site. We had rented a "primitive" site (aka - no vehicle access). We had to carry all of our supplies on our backs and hike about 2 miles to the site. It was a long (but fun) hike. 


Once we made it to the site, we set up our tents.


We had bought a tent just for the occasion. James insisted that we just needed a two-person tent.

He didn't want to have to carry anything too heavy.

Fine by me. That just meant I got to snuggle closer to my honey, right?

So we set up camp and had some lunch. Then, we decided to hike up to the top of Enchanted Rock.

It was really awesome. The view was stunning. 


I insisted on taking photos during our adventure.

Sometimes, I think our friends get tired of me trying to "document" our adventures.

What can I say? I guess it's just one of my little quirks.


Aren't April and Eric cute?


This photo of us was taken during the Lumberjack Beard phase. I miss the Lumberjack Beard. 


After a while, the sun started to set, so we packed up our gear and headed back to the campsite. 

Now, I want you to imagine: We've been hiking *all* day. We're all a little sweaty and gross. And tired.

Boy are we tired.

We got back to the campsite and ate dinner. Soon, it was time for bed.

Remember that teeny, tiny tent that we bought?

Remember how excited I was to share that small space with my fiance?


Well, my excitement quickly faded when he took his shoes off.

Seriously. His feet were *so* stinky.

I thought I was going to suffocate.

April and Eric were glad that they had set their tent up on the other side of the campsite. 


They could smell it all the way over there.

We slept with the tent door cracked to try to get some of the stinky air out.

That is, until I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a GIANT raccoon going through our trash. I'm not kidding -- it was the *biggest* raccoon I've ever seen. 

I'm surprised the stench didn't scare him away.

The morale of this story: Don't ever, ever, ever leave home without Odor Eaters. 

And maybe some nose plugs.

You know how Nerds get a bad rap for poor hygiene?

Well, every now and again James will take off his shoes and the stench will waft my way. I say that he's just trying to fuel the stereotypes.

It makes me feel better.

I guess there's no changing my man. Or his stinky feet.

3 Comments:

DangGina said...

Oh no! Stinky feet are the worst! (Well, flatulence is probably the worst, but at least that fades...stinky feet stink until you wash them!)

You are a trouper...

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Stinky feet-yuk! And yes, Racoons can get very BIG! Enjoyed your post!

ForeverRhonda said...

Enjoyed the guest posting! Stinky feet are no good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin