Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 4, 2010

School's Out for Summer and Other News

Picking Dewberries in North Texas


Little did my sons' teachers know it, but today was their last day for the school year. Technically, our school district doesn't get out until the 10th of June, but for us school is out for summer early.

My excuse? It's peak harvesting season and if I don't want to pass out from the heat, then I better be out picking at 7 am. Yes, that is really what I told the school and the teachers in an email. They probably all think I am a migrant worker now, either that or just plumb lazy.

Seriously, it gets hotter than I can stand working at 10 am and I've noticed over the last two weeks the mornings feeling hotter and hotter. Last year, we were out of school by this time, so picking was easier and earlier. However, school official decided to make the school year last until nearly mid-June this year to save energy on cooling costs. Now with several days in the 90s and a weekend reaching over 100 degrees F I am asking just one question:

How's that saving energy working for you?

Personally, I think school after Memorial Day should be outlawed.

Starting Monday, my boys will be on our summer school curriculum two hours every day going over vocabulary, spelling, and reading with some math for good measure. They only thought they hated school. It'll be like homeschooling part-time.

In other news this week:

I canned 40 jars of jam--apricot, wild plum, blackberry, and dewberry.
I canned 8 jars of apricot halves.
I will be canning jars of pickles using cucumbers from my garden today.
My youngest decided to jump in the pool and swim today--yes!

And my favorite bits of news:

1.) I'll be test-driving and reviewing the 2010 Chevy Traverse for two weeks from June 18th to July 5th while traveling to Utah for vacation! Anybody know of any good camping spots in northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado? PS: Nope we still haven't told my husband's mother trucker.

2.) Check out my new toolbar at the bottom of this blog! The toolbar lets you keep up with me from my blog on Twitter and Facebook, as well as view photos, visitors, and recent posts all without ever leaving Screwed Up Texan. You can even translate posts into your language! Check it out and let me know if you have any problems. Big thanks to my friend, Amy, of Living Locurto for the suggestion.

3.) I'll be participating in I Heart Faces' Photo Walk Across America tomorrow in Dallas! If you're going to be there also, I can't wait to meet you. Come say why don't you!

9 Comments:

Mummy said...

Loving the new little bar at the bottom!!! Oh and who cares what the school thinks?!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mummy, I'm with you about the school!

Foursons said...

I am so thankful our school district ends before Memorial Day. That is how it should be. This going into June crap is for the birds.

When do peaches ripen enough to can? I've been waiting and waiting and waiting.

I Heart Faces said...

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! Hey... I need to come picking too!

-Amy

Screwed Up Texan said...

Foursons, You are so lucky! I wish I were in San Antonio even though it is hotter there just to get out early...

I Heart Faces, I could arrange that...although Amy knows where it is...she's still sworn to secrecy though.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I am never showing my son this post. He begged me to let him miss the last week. If he sees this you'll find him on your door step!

Lily Storm said...

They have done that here in Florida also, at least in Duval County! That on top of starting the school year in the middle of August! It makes no sense to me. I guess I was spoiled as a kid, not starting school until after Labor Day and out by at least the 1st of June!

NitWit1 said...

I am with you on the school term. It should be the week before Memorial Day is it.....period.

Stacie said...

What do you do with all that jam?!? I LOVE picking berries and I would do it all day, but I am seriously running out of things to do with them! Do you give them away? Eat them?...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin