Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Perfect Cupcake: Guest Post by Tidy Mom

Raspberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes by Tidy Mom


Hi everyone!!! I am Cheryl, or better known as TidyMom. You can find me blogging over at TidyMom.net about my daily adventures as a wife and mom with a "wee bit" of a tidiness obsession! But along with being tidy......I really like to share my other passions.... baking, creating and photography.

Tidy Mom


I was so thrilled when Allie asked me to guest post while she's gone!

Everyone loves cupcakes right?! They are quickly becoming the superstars in the world of desserts and can always turn the everyday occasion, meal or gathering into a party.

What is it about these diminutive little cakes that makes them so irresistible? Is it that they are compact and easy to eat, the idea of having a whole cake all to yourself, sweet revenge for a diet well done, or maybe nostalgia? What ever the reason may be, chances are, you'd be hard pressed to find a person to whom a cupcake does not bring a smile.

Well luckily cupcakes are a super easy and I'm going to share a secret......
how to use a box cake mix to make cupcakes taste like home made, from scratch, out of this world fabulous!

I will also share a few that I have made!

So grab your apron and come along.......

The Perfect Cupcake (using a mix)

You will need

1 box mix (any flavor) - but get the good kind, Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker

3 Large Eggs

1/2 cup butter (use butter, NOT margarine....trust me on this)

*1 cup of water

**The key is to use slightly less water than what the box calls for. I usually use Duncan Hines, and they usually call for 1-1/4 cup water, so I reduce it to 1 cup. If your box calls for 1-1/2 c. try using 1-1/4 c., or if your box calls for 1 cup, try a little over 3/4 cup.

Then what are you going to do next?

Melt the butter in the microwave.

Then dump all ingredients in your bowl.

Mix on low for 1 min. Then mix on high for 1 min.

You will be amazed that your batter is nice and thick and creamy - not thin and runny like it is when you follow the box instructions.

Fill cupcake papers - I recommend using an icecream scooper! - One scoop is just the right amount per cupcake!

Pop them in the oven on 350 for 20 minutes.

Let cool.

Then you can frost them with a delicious Butter Cream Frosting!! Or your favorite canned frosting if you want to keep it simple.....I wont judge ;-)

Want to see some super yummy cupcakes I've made using this "recipe"?

Click the pictures to see full details

Raspberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes by Tidy Mom


I even show you how to fill your cupcakes

Filling a Cupcake by Tidy Mom


Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes by Tidy Mom


Simple French Vanilla and Dark Chocolate Fudge cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

Black and White Cupcakes by Tidy Mom


So, as you can see......the possibilities are really endless!

Give it a try, have fun and most of all ENJOY your creations!!

Happy Baking!

Thanks again to Allie for inviting me to be here today!

I have a party every Friday, "I'm Lovin' It" where everyone is invited to share what they are loving each week it's super fun, and I would love to have you!

10 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Oh goodness. Those look scrumptious!

DangGina said...

Ya know, it's the darnedest thing...I hate cake, but LOVE cupcakes. What's up with that anyway?

Thanks for sharing your knowlege of all things cupcake! Stopping by your blog...now!

Paula said...

Cheryl your cupcakes looks fantastic and your photographs of them are awesome!

Teresa said...

GIrl you are the QUEEN of CUPCAKES!
I think you need to be on the new show War of the Cupcake!
Watched it last night for the first time!
Great TIPS on using a cake mix!
xo

Rachel said...

YUM! What a GREAT idea!
Have you ever piped a filling into the cupcake instead of cutting them? (just curious)

I love your suggestion for better cupcakes and your pictures are AMAZING!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

You make the most beautiful cupcakes!!! Sigh...

grey umbrella said...

those look amazing! i usually fill my cupcakes with a piping pastry bag and tip (many times known as a ziploc bag with a corner cut off!).

Amanda said...

I LOVE Tidymom!!! GREAT GREAT GREAT tutorial and recipes... these are just amazing!!

Blessings-
Amanda

TidyMom said...

Rachel, I have not tried that - I've seen it done, but for some reason, I just prefer to cut the whole...maybe next time I'll try that though, it sounds much easier.

Thanks everyone

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

Beautiful photography! Yummy dessert!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin