Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Objects Are Closer Than They Appear

Playing with my new 55-200mm lens.


Well sort of.

Wednesday my new 55-200mm lens arrived--I can't tell you how excited I was to take it out of its box and attach it to my camera so I could try it out! I first used this particular lens at the NASCAR races last year where the bathrooms made my day. I borrowed my friend's lens for taking photographs of the passing race cars and was hooked on its ability to take crisp, close photographs. When my kit lens broke a few months ago and I had to borrow another friend's entire camera (a Canon 50D), it was hooked up to a similar lens and I remembered why I wanted to get this lens so badly.

Now with my road trip coming up in just a little over a week from now, I knew I had to get the 55-200mm lens for taking photographs of people and objects far away. I also think this lens will be perfect for taking candid photos of family during my husband's family reunion in Utah. If his family is anything like mine, I am sure I'll get to record all of life's precious memories like Uncle Bob hiding his beer, Cousin Joe teasing Cousin Jill, and Grandma Erma plucking her chin hairs. Wait. Maybe that last one is me. Oh help me, I hope my husband doesn't have family with those real names.

You'd think I'd know that by now.

But you can be sure I'll let you know.

So anyway, yesterday I tried out my new lens at a local park. I wasn't sure where to go to give my lens a test drive, but since I really needed to get out of the house and away from the kids and yet felt too tired to drive to the country, the pond with the ducks had to suffice.

One thing I learned right off the bat is that at the 55-200mm range I could not get a real wide landscape shot. So, I turned to shooting trumpet vines in trees and little yellow flowers on the ground.

Flower2

Flower1


Then came the ducks sitting by and in the pond.

More ducks at sunset

Momma guarding her babies


Everything was going great...

Until I met this fella.

Confident


You know how side mirrors in vehicles say "Warning: Objects in Mirror are Closer than They Appear"? Well, someone should put a warning on this lens that reads something similar. Before I knew it, mister nice goose was trying to beat me up.

This thing tried to eat me!


Really you little, I mean BIG, goose...you think you're going to nip at my feet? Well look at what this foot can do to your butt.

Well, at least that is what I was thinking.

I would never actually ever hurt a bird. Never.

Well, unless it was a Mexican Grackle. Then I would. I'd kick his butt so hard he'd be able to smell his anus.

PS: I have no idea how both those links are related to NASCAR. Bless my heart.

8 Comments:

Christy said...

oh my gosh, I love the shots and the over-protective goose, lol!

Becky said...

You are making that D5000 call my name even louder! Great shots!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Christy, He was a stinker I tell ya!

Becky, You will LOVE it!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

How did you convince your hubby to pay for the lens??? You must be a master of persuasion.

I'm glad you have it though. I love your work and this will get us more of it!

Crystal Lynn- Super Single Mom and Her Side Kids said...

I am so jealous!! : )

DangGina said...

This reminds me of a story...about 6 years ago, my mom was duck-sitting for her brother; the duck (called Butch) needed to be kept away from the ducklings his duck-wife layed, so Butch wouldn't peck at and kill said ducklings. At the time, my brother was dating the gal he'd end up marrying (Abby). Abby went out to feed Butch, and he ended up chasing her around. Abby is now terrified of ducks. Will be for the rest of her life. (They can be quite scary!)

BK said...

Hey, did you get the Canon EF-S 55-200 mm?? I'm looking at getting that lens next!

Screwed Up Texan said...

It's actually the Nikon 55-200mm lens with Vibration Reduction. I love it, but almost wish I'd gotten the full 18-200mm lens instead if it didnt cost so much.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin