Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 7, 2010

I Heart Faces, but I Hate Dallas

Me, Holly, Arina


In the seven years my husband and I have lived together in our community, we have taken advantage of every opportunity to not leave it for the city unless we have to. Specifically, if we don't have to travel to Dallas or Fort Worth, then we won't.

In fact, a couple years ago I was offered a job in the Dallas Design District. The interview went well, I was offered the job, but to give it a day or two to consider. By the end of my horrendous drive home in rush hour traffic, I called up my potential boss and told her there was no way I would be able to handle the insanity of Dallas traffic day after day. For me, an hour-and-a-half traveling twenty miles was enough to make me want to have a serious case of road rage and probably get my brains blown out in the process.

I travel to or through Dallas and Fort Worth only when necessary--like when I am traveling to the Dublin Dr Pepper plant or on my way to San Antonio or other state parks. I've missed many cultural activities in Dallas because I hate the city that badly. I even missed The Pioneer Woman's book signing because I was that scared to travel to the city by myself.

I don't know how parking lots work.

I don't know how to pay meters.

I loathe one-way streets.

Don't ever ask me to parallel park.

Going around a block for me means driving two miles out of my way, down two different highways, and at least one person in a big truck slamming their horn at me.

Which begs the question, why in the world did I sign up for the I Heart Faces Photo Walk Across America this last weekend?

Why???

I Heart Faces Photo Walk Dallas


You can bet as soon as I made what I think was an illegal turn into the parking lot I rolled down my window and whined as loudly as I could to Amy (one of the co-founders), "I hate Dallas!"

Then I found a parking space, parked the best I could, and asked someone how to pay for my spot. I got very vague instructions and was pointed towards a funny looking gas pump apparatus where I inserted my debit card into the cash portion of the machine. At first I thought I was having Blockbuster vending machine nightmares again as the pay meter repeatedly spit out my debit card...until I realized I was putting my card into the wrong slot.

Obviously I don't park, pump, or gamble very often.

After my Dallas driving fiasco, the rest of the day went off without a hitch. I had fun catching up with old pals like Holly of Burbmom, LaShawn of Frazzled LaShawn, and Amy of Living Locurto, as well as meeting a reader, Arena of The Nerd's Wife.

Me, Holly, Arina

Me, Holly, and Arena


The LaShawn

The LaShawn


I had a great time practicing my photography skills at the photo walk. I've had several people ask which program I did my editing with and to be truthful it's just Photoshop Elements 7 which I bought at Sam's for around $60 (I think you can now get PSE 8 there).

Another couple favorite shots...

IHFDallas3

One of the Girl Models


Thanksgiving Square, Dallas Texas

Thanksgiving Square, Dallas, Texas


By the way, I have a new lens coming sometime this week that I ordered online. It's the 55-200 VR lens for Nikon. Can't wait--it's going to come in handy for my vacation to Utah coming up in a couple weeks!

Thank goodness I don't have to travel through Dallas to get there.

15 Comments:

I Heart Faces said...

At least you didn't get lost! It was great seeing you:-) Your photos turned out beautiful!

-Amy

Arena said...

It was so great to meet you, Allie! Thanks for posting the photo of the three of us.

Love,
A Captivated Reader
aka The Nerd's Wife

Foursons said...

I have that lens and I LOVE it! I use it more than the standard lens.

I don't leave my house on the weekends. Tourists suck and I prefer to not see them so we only see the walls inside our home.

Lorilee said...

I don't like heavy traffic and crowds too much either. We will be traveling to Dallas for a wedding later this summer.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Screwed Up Texan said...

Amy, Glad I got to see you again...You did a GREAT job putting it all together!

Arena, It was nice to meet you too!

Foursons, I can't wait to get that lens! I'm counting down the days!

Lorilee, Oh fun! Do you know where the wedding will be? So many pretty spots around here!

Teddy Started It said...

I grew up in DC. My 1st post-college commute was only 11 miles, but typically took 1hr 15min. When we moved to Dallas, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. All these years later, I still consider the traffic here "light" -- but I'm glad my SAHM job keeps me on the suburban side roads instead of Central or the Tollway.

Looks like y'all had a great day though, so I'm assuming it was all worth it:D

Candance said...

The pics are great, but yeah, I'm totally there with you on the hating Dallas thing. The city is evil and there are scary things there-like one way streets and red lights.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Teddy, Ugh! That traffic sounds horrible...I can just imagine!

Candance, Red lights? What red lights?

Leigh said...

You are so funny! You sound exactly like me when it comes to driving to the big city. That's why I made my husband bring me! LOL

~Amy Jo~ said...

Ooo...I've had my 55-200 lens for a few weeks. It's my FAVE. You will love it!
I can do FW because I've lived here my whole life.
I don't get Dallas. At all.
Enjoyed your photos!

NitWit1 said...

Having lived in the DFW area for two different stints in my life, I know eactly how you feel.

I'm debating new Nikon model with more megapixels or new lens for my discontinued D50. Looking at the D5000 will need to sell the present one.

Will follow your vacation to see how you evaluate the lens. I have a Tamron 18-200 zoom with macro capability on my D50.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Leigh, Next time I am carpooling!

Amy Jo, I can't wait to get it!

NitWit1, I have a discontinued D40, but I've heard that I don't really need more pixels unless I plan on getting huge prints. I can't remember all the science someone used to back it up, but it sounded good to me. Although, I wouldnt mind getting a D90 b/c I would really like the video option.

IzzyLizzy said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've lived in Dallas for seven years and just last week pulled out of a parking lot going the wrong way on a one way street. DOH. Soooo, yeah, it never gets any easier. :)

texasholly said...

Oh so sorry I missed this until now! Fun pictures! It was great to see ya and walk around the big city...ha!

Kara said...

I live in North Texas and I met my brother and a couple friends for dinner who were visiting Downtown Dallas, and I drove THERE. I hate it as much as you do! I got there and asked where they wanted to eat and they said, "You're from here, you should know of a place." Ummm, no. I'm from North Texas, not Dallas. With all the one way streets, they're lucky I got to them at all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin