Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Before and After: Dallas Photo Walk Edition

Before and After


I don't think I can say it enough after discovering the RAW feature on my DSLR camera how much I love it! I never understood before why someone would even want to shoot in RAW when I found out that is uses a lot of memory--in fact, I can fill my 1 G memory card with over 700 jpeg files, but only just over 200 RAW files (photos). Heck, I've been known to take as many as 600 photographs in one twenty-four hour period so why in the world would I even want to take my chances with RAW?

Then Charlie of Burn Out Radio convinced me otherwise. I think as soon as he said he could make the sky pop out in the reflection of the paint job of the 2010 Chevy Equinox we were standing next to I was sold. Since then, I have shot exclusively in RAW and here is why--take the I Heart Faces photo walk for instance where I took a lovely photograph of Morgan, the daughter of one of the participants.

This is the SOOC (Straight Out of Camera) shot:

SOOC


Thank goodness I was shooting in RAW, because here are my edits using PSE 7's RAW editing program:

RAW


I changed the exposure, the brightness, clarity, vibrancy, and more.

I really could have stopped here, but I wanted a more urban pop kind of feel. So, I ran two actions and brightened her eyes slightly for the final edit. Voila! The final portrait:

IHFDallas6


I'm participating in Pixel Perfect's Before and After Blog Hop. To participate or to check out other entries, just click the button below:

27 Comments:

lovingmylife said...

Beautiful! I love her eyes!

Tricia said...

Great edit! I like the texture on the wall too!

Arena @ {thenerdswife} said...

Wow. I *really* need to learn to shoot in RAW.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Arena, try it out with a practice shoot...you'll be amazed!

Jeanne Lobsinger said...

I have shot in RAW before but when I went to download my pics the computer wouldn't open them. I am using Vista on a laptop. I even downloaded a new RAW "reader" when I Googled for help. Did you have any problems downloading when you first started shooting RAW? Thanks!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Jeanne, I never had problems opening my RAW files. My husband has Vista on his computer and we've had more problems with it than my Windows 98. Don't even get me started on MS Office 2007 and how they changed the file format when it's saved...ugh!

I just download the files to my computer using Nikon's file transfer program (your camera should have software for downloading), open PSE 7, and open the files I want to edit. PSE 7 has a built in program for editing RAW files. I think there are other RAW editing programs out there...I just don't know what they are.

ThisMamaRAZZI said...

Nicely done! Very bold!

Courtney K. said...

I think you may have just convinced me to start shooting in RAW. Excellent edit!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Hey girl, another thing you should know is that you can shoot SRAW1 and still have huge images...it will allow you to get about 350 images per 4GB card!

Screwed Up Texan said...

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger, oh thank you for the tip! I may need to use that for my trip.

laney said...

Wow!!! I think you have convinced me to give RAW a shot. Thanks!

Julie said...

Yes...RAW is amazing.. These edits show why!! Beautiful!

Foursons said...

I'm not brave enough for RAW yet. I need to figure out all the other features first before I move onto RAW. But the edits ARE amazing!

alicia said...

Great job! I'm not sure what mine is currently set to. I'm going to go check it out. I'm playing along this week too. http://weloveiowa.blogspot.com/2010/06/before-after-silouettes.html

Screwed Up Texan said...

Foursons, no need to be brave! Just change your camera settings to RAW and go outside and take a few photos. Then open up PS if you have it and try it out!

Alicia, If you don't have it set to RAW, you really should!

kbreints said...

Very nice! Her eyes really popped!

Robyn said...

Gorgeous! I just recently discovered shooting in RAW, too. It's amazing! I learned about it and was convinced in Scott Kelby's class. I thought, who am I to not follow what Kelby says! Turns out... he's right. Again.

Leigh said...

Love it! Thanks for showing this before and after. Do you mind if I print this for our family?

Screwed Up Texan said...

Leigh, I emailed you the full size photo so you can get it printed.

Tara said...

This is such a great edit...this is just beautiful. I love it. I am going to have to check out RAW.

Pixel Perfect said...

Thanks for joining this week! Love your edit and your post!! Great work!!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Pixel Perfect, Thanks!

Teddy Started It said...

That's incredible. I'm no photographer, but I love to play around in photoshop. And now that I have the kiddos...well, I spend a LOT of time playing around in photoshop. I just got a DSLR, but I haven't checked out the RAW feature yet. Guess I have something new to play with this weekend!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Teddy Started It, Once I began shooting in RAW, I dont ever want to go back to JPEG. JPEG is too limiting.

NitWit1 said...

Thanks for the lesson. Several photo seminars i've attended strongly suggest RAW, so I may try it.

You can always save a copy in JPG which is so transportable. But still have the orginal.

I have a 4MB card which largest my camero (Nikon D50) recognizes. But I've set a goal of a new NIKON for next 10# loss. So now I need to get moving the scale dial down. I set expensive goals, don't I.

Courtney said...

Beautiful girl! Your edit really brightened her up. Nice job!

Screwed Up Texan said...

NitWit1, I highly recommend RAW! Try it out in your spare time and see what you think. Let me know.

Courtney, Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin