Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why You Shouldn't Bully My Children

Utah Bird aka The Turkey


Aka: Someone called me a "badass" and this is why:

There are a few things in this world that really make my blood boil. One of those things is bullying. I feel this way partly because I was bullied for almost all my years in elementary school. To this day I still remember the little girls that bullied me by name even though it's been a good twenty years since I left that school. Although I no longer feel threatened by these girls, my heart still goes out to children who are teased, left out, and bullied.

Especially when bullying happens to my own children.

So you can bet how livid I was yesterday when an older kid slapped my Kindergartner in the face right in front of me after school.

My middle son, the Kindergartner, has always been sort of an awkward kid. He's slightly immature for his age, but has come a long way since he first started school. My son is just now coming out of his shell and starting to make friends, but still sometimes he runs up to kids and yells something silly to child strangers which I am sure comes off as being weird to other kids.

Which is what happened yesterday afternoon.

Everything was going great after school. My middle son was giving me no problems walking to the crosswalk for the first time in two weeks. The crosswalk guard then told us it was time to cross the street. When we got out to the middle, my middle son ran up to an older kid (who happens to look like Dennis the Menace) and screams something unintelligible to the boy. Dennis the Menace then slaps my son in the face. My son just stared at him like what the heck just happened.

I don't know what overcame me, but in almost a split second I grabbed Dennis the Menace by the backpack, turned him around in the middle of the street, raised my hand, and came this close to slapping the little brat across his own face. In fact, the only thing that kept me from slapping him was that he flinched as he watched my hand get two inches from his face. So I asked Dennis,

"What the hell just happened? Why did you just slap him?" (We were now on the sidewalk on the other side of the street.)

He replies, "I don't know...um...he cussed at me."

"What did he say?"

"I don't know."

"Well you live on *** Street, right?" (I'm still holding onto his backpack; I'm not letting him go anywhere.)

"Yah..."

"Well, let's go. We're going to your house and telling your dad that you just slapped my kid."

By now my blood is beginning to cool off. In fact, I didn't even notice at that point that I was still grabbing the kid's backpack while walking him over to his street. Once we got to his street, I let go of his backpack and I told him that the better thing for him to have done if he thought my kid was cussing at him was to tell me instead of hitting my kid. I told him that discipline is the parent's responsibility and not his because he is a kid. I told him that under no circumstances should he ever hit another kid, especially not a younger, smaller kid.

Then I had him point his dad out who was sitting on his front porch waiting for his sons to get home. Dennis dragged his feet behind me.

Now to set the stage here: Dennis the Menace lives in the same 1970s neighborhood as me with large front yards and smaller backyards. His particular home has hardly any grass and the front yard is covered in children's toys and bicycles. Dad is a much older man, probably somewhere in his late 60s. Before yesterday I even thought this older man was the grandpa. Dad is scruffy looking and very unkempt with a beer-belly stretching out like a ten month pregnant woman. Lucky me, at least he had a shirt on yesterday.

So, I tell dad what happened.

Dad turns to his boy and asks, "What did he say to you?"

Dennis the Menace says, "He called me an Effing A-Hole." (Except he said the real words.)

Honestly, I still don't think that's what my kid said, but since I saw with my own eyes my kid say something to Dennis, I at least admitted that whatever my kid said that it was enough to upset the brat.

Then the dad thanked me for telling him what happened and that he would discipline his boy. I thanked him for listening and told him I'd do likewise. I then grabbed my three sons and told them it was time to walk home. We proceeded to walk off his front porch when the old man tries to bring up casual conversation with me:

"So, how old are your children?"

"Five, six, and seven," I reply.

"Oh wow! You just popped out those kids...POP POP POP!!!"

And I'm telling you I came this close to slapping that old man across his face and calling him an effing a-hole myself.

Jerkwad.

PS: For explanation of the above photo, please refer to Out of Context Morons.

12 Comments:

Candance said...

I admire your restraint for not slapping the shit out of that e-ffing little a-hole. This is from the woman who once pinned a kid up against the wall for asking my daughter for wearing a dress to a dance. Cause it's a dance, you e-ffing a-hole.

Mummy said...

Do I get his address so I can send him spam mail from the UK? They could never trace it back to me... oh wait now I have posted this they could. Ssss don't tell anyone!

Oh and I would of done the same in your position.

Expat From Hell said...

Your ability to translate this event into writing, and get all of us to want to do the slapping for you, is a tribute to your great skill. While I have to take a minute to settle down now (where is my Valium, anyway?), I am also in great appreciation of your talents. And your restraint! EFH

Foursons said...

Oh no he dinnt! Oh.my.gosh. First he hits your kid and then he lies to his father right in front of you? Oh.my.gosh.

Gloria said...

You go girl! My youngest was always bullied too. It really took a lot away from his free spiritedness! But......he did survive and so did I!

ForeverRhonda said...

We've been dealing with bullying since we moved...J is the "new" kid so last year he got it bad..this year it's a lot better. It probably doesn't help that he's been put into accelerated reading and science. I hate bullying as well. It's one of those things that makes me so mad I'll cry.

Jill C. said...

Wow! I would have done the same thing! Although I don't know if I would have had the restraint you did!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Candance, It was hard...very hard.

Mummy, what do you do for a living? lol

Wym said...

i would have asked when his next was due...

Steph said...

I wouldn't have been able to restrain myself. I admire your self control. :)

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

AW NO HE DI-INT!!!

That guy sucks. So does his kid. The sad part is, you can tell that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Wym, Ha! That's a great comeback!

Texan Mama, I was thinking the same thing...what a shame.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin