Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Sneaky Chef, Balls, and Gardening - aka A Great Big Na-Na-Na-Na-Boo-Boo

SneakyChef3


Apologies for the lack of blogging yesterday, but I got to spend the morning with Amy of Living Locurto and I Heart Faces, Laurie of Tip Junkie, and Holly of BurbMom, plus several other bloggers at the Milestone Culinary Arts Center/Viking Cooking School in uptown Dallas. (Wow, that just felt like a real big na-na-na-na-boo-boo.) There we got to meet and get our hands dirty with Missy Chase Lapine, The Sneaky Chef, who teamed up with Uncle Ben's as she showed us great ways to sneak vegetables and other wholesome foods into our kids' favorite meals.

The Sneaky Chef


I got lots of great tips from The Sneaky Chef, but I'm not ready to talk about that yet...that'll have to wait til Monday.

What I really want to show y'all is how Amy's balls are bigger than Laurie's balls!

SneakyChef3


Laurie even declared it onto her cookiesheet:

SneakyChef5


(They said it, not me...in fact, my thoughts were worse and will be noted on Monday.)

On to other important items:

I'm really excited with how my garden is coming along! Yesterday, I got to harvest the first of my salad blend at the big garden. Last week, my lettuce was perhaps two inches tall...

This week it looked like this:

Garden Salad Blend


So I got out my knife and sliced my salad about one to two inches from the ground.

Garden Salad Blend II


I gained this trick from Dick Raymond who is the author of my favorite gardening book, Garden Way's The Joy of Gardening. By giving my lettuce a haircut it is forced to send up new sprouts of tender young leaves, and in about three more weeks my lettuce and spinach will be ready to harvest again.

Although as soon as it gets done raining this morning I am getting the BT powder out and dusting it on my salad, because I found two caterpillars while I was washing it last night. Like Dick Raymond says in his book, there ain't no worse feeling than finding caterpillars crawling on your plate.

9 Comments:

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

LOL!! Love the funny photos! I'm going to be stealing them:-) It was so much fun cooking with you. Your garden is looking great. I'm very impressed!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Go ahead and steal them, Amy--yesterday was so much fun. Can't wait to post more photos!

NitWit1 said...

Good looking garden, My husband planted a vegetable container garden. We have too many rocks for a good garden.

Screwed Up Texan said...

NitWit1, You'd love the book, Joy of Gardening, then. Dick Raymond shows how to garden anywhere...including a gravel driveway!

Cynthia said...

It was great to see you yesterday. I had so much fun "cooking". I had more fun drinking wine and taking pictures of those who were really doing the cooking. (Tee hee) Have a great weekend!

DangGina said...

I. LOVE. Garden-fresh veggies. So jealous!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Somehow I suspect that your boys would LOVE to find caterpillars on their plates.

Jackie said...

HIYA! I love your blog! I'm going to have to subscribe to this business! SO FUN!

I'm a south-eastern texan!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, come to think of it...YES!

Jackie, Nice to meet ya! Hope to see you around.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin