Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gone Fishing

KidFish5


Springtime is my favorite time of the year in Texas, because not only is the weather not frigid cold anymore, but it's not hot as hell either. Another reason I love Texas springtime weather is because of the spring showers...and especially the ones with the torrential rain and lightening. Yes, if I could be a storm chaser I would. Like Steve Irwin was called to jump on crocodiles, I was called to chase tornadoes.

Which is why I was majorly bummed when we drove to Utah last year and missed the tornado that ripped through our town and blew my fence down and my neighbor's roof off.

But this post is not about my death wish. Nor is it about how I just discovered that Bob Marley sings I Shot the Sheriff until yesterday evening. Dude, I had only heard the Eric Clapton version and may I say that I laughed out loud listening to Bob Marley sing that song? I laughed even louder when I discovered a rapper named Warren G had rapped it.

However, this post is not about shooting sheriffs either. Or even songs.

Come to think of it, I am not even sure what this post is about anymore. What I was supposed to be writing about was one of my favorite things to do in the springtime is fishing. Oh yah.

So, I love to go fishing. When I was a little girl, I used to run to the Tisdale's pond and fish in it with my twin brother and sister while my mother took care of the older couple that lived on the ranch. Out in the Hill Country of Texas among the trees and limestone cliffs, I felt a special connection to something real.

KidFish2


My husband and I have always tried to involve our children in the outdoors since they were little by going camping, hiking, or participating in local events. One of these events is KidFish where you guessed it--kids fish. My oldest has been begging to go fishing for a month, so when I discovered KidFish was being held again, I grabbed my boys and took them to the event.

KidFish6


Let me just say that dragging along three young boys was almost more than I could handle. First, there was the moaning and groaning and gnashing of teeth over the stink bait. Secondly, my oldest nearly hooked some dude's face because he was being impatient. Third, my boys had to use the restroom about a bazilllion times while we were fishing which meant they had to walk to the other side of the pond to use the port-o-potties. Mind you that my husband was working so he could not help me.

We lasted just under an hour.

KidFish4


When I had enough, I counted the kids and told them it was time to go home.

But not before I got them all free Italian ice.

KidFish3


And at least one a brain freeze.

Brain Freeze


You know, I did not get one photograph with my boys fishing. Sure, I got plenty of other random kids with their fish:

KidFish7

KidFish1


But not one with mine.

Oh well, I was too busy trying to keep my youngest from kicking the ducks and dropping his drawers.

Maybe next time.

But not without the hubs.

9 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Proof once again, that no good parenting deed goes unpunished. Ah well, at least next time they beg to go fishing you can say, "I took you already."

Kristi said...

I'm not brave enough to attempt something like that yet.

Thanks for the gardening advice! I pulled up some spinach, which was about done anyway, and transplanted the scrawny tomato plants over to give them more room. Crossing my fingers that it will help.

Foursons said...

Yes, those kinds of outings are definitely much more fun with another adult to help out. Oh and setting up camp close to the porta potties or a big bush.

Le'Ann Ruggles said...

I remember taking my son to KidFish when he was about 7. Good times!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

What a good mommy you are! They will have this fun time in their memory bank and you will too! Yes, it is always better with taking the hubby...

Candance said...

If I did not totally have new respect for your bravery of taking three young children fishing, I would totally make fun of you over the song thing. But, you're kind of a badass, so I won't.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, Ha! I'll be sure to use that one. Daddy's turn next time...

Kristi, I'm jealous of how neat your garden looks. I have weeding needing done here. I sent you an email.

Foursons, Yes! I totally agree!

Lee'Ann, Did he complain about the stink bait or did your 7 yo take it like a man?

Weekend Cowgirl, I am definitely kicking myself in the butt over this one.

Candance, Ha ha ha! You should have seen what I did with the kid that slapped my son in the face after school today, LOL!

PennsylvaniaBelle said...

Do tell!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Penn Belle, It's up!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin