Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Politically Incorrect Easter

Easter2010_9


We went camping this year for the Easter holiday weekend at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma. My older sister lives near that area so we decided that we'd visit them this year and get the cousins together. I mean what is Easter anyway without someone to share it with? Okay. Fine. It's still Easter, but when you have a family like mine you never know what gossipy stories will be told and the ensuing jokes followed therefrom.

Like the one Republican relative that went missing for three days because he got beat up and tied to a tree with duct tape by some bully Democrats. Or at least that's his excuse for not telling his wife where he was. Only detail he forgot was that he called another relative during this time he had his hands tied behind a tree with said duct tape.

So it was Democrat vs Republican jokes all weekend long.

"Dude you're annoying me! Would you shut-up already?"

"Why, what are you going to do if I don't?"

"Well depends on if you're Republican or Democrat."

Of course, it was laughs all weekend. We may not have had duct tape on us, but we had plenty of rope and trees to pull it off.

Now I am not a morning person except when camping. No matter where or when we camp, I always wake up just as the sky is beginning to lighten into a deep silvery blue before the sun comes up. This trip was no different, and I knew it wouldn't be so I came prepared with caffeinated chewing gum.

My husband and I both got up and stretched our legs, I popped a Dr Pepper and a caffeinated piece of chewing gum, and he and I went on our way to find the turkeys we kept hearing that morning. When we got up to the flats, I paused for a moment to photograph what I think is my very first Easter sunrise.

Easter Sunrise Overlooking Camp Doris


After I wiped away my sleepies, I couldn't believe just how beautiful it was.

Easter Sunrise


The moon setting was just as gorgeous, even if not so grandeur.

Early Easter Morning Moon Set


We eventually found the turkeys, but I headed back to camp once I saw the direction the turkeys were headed--straight towards a buffalo.

Which really didn't matter since once I got back to camp, the buffalo decided to make his way through camp too.

Twice.

Buffalo Walking Through Camp


My sister's boyfriend took the kids for a car ride while we supervised the Easter Bunny's egg laying efforts...all 55 of them. Including the Golden Egg (which was a colored duck egg). She made sure to leave us a dollar for whoever found it.

Easter2010_8


The Easter Bunny:

Easter2010_12


Soon, the kids arrived back and it was time to find those Easter eggs. Some were high, some were low.

Easter2010_7

Easter2010_6


Some were even stuck into the tailpipes of cars--that danged Democrat.

Easter2010_10


The Golden Egg was found by my niece. I got accused of being a republican for expressing my opinion that it was a conspiracy that she found the golden egg and not my one of my kids.

Easter2010_11


I thoroughly enjoyed my politically incorrect Easter. What did y'all do?

9 Comments:

Wym said...

We had the traditional fajitas. I love how your kids are always cross-eyed in pictures. Classic. I love that you camp so much! i hope one day we can start that tradition...but not with a 2 year old. Happy Easter!

Wym said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Boob Nazi said...

I slept all day. It was sad.

cfoxes said...

You have to read my blog to find out what I did. It exhausted me just to type it!

Marylin said...

LOL!! What a fun Easter! I quiet enjoy your politically incorrect weekend!! We had a nice quiet one at home, I made dinner and we had friends over! It was sad to be away from my family though for the first time!! :)

Marylin said...

Oh that was me, wrong account :)

Foursons said...

I love the Golden Egg idea! The sunrise was gorgeous, glad you woke up to see it so you could share it with all of us.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I posted our happenings.

I have to say that the picture of Easter sunrise almost makes me want to camp.

Almost.

belle5 said...

You spent yours the same way I spent many, many of mine growing up. This brought back a lot of memories...thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin