Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Oh Possum!

Baby Possum


So, remember that possum my husband and I found on the creepy neighbor's fence? You know...the white piggie my little boys found. Well, little Miss Piggie found another spot under our deck to relax during the daytime and I only found out because I was washing dishes while my youngest was outside playing. It was then that through the kitchen window I watched as he began poking sticks and little fingers into the spaces between the deck boards.

In a new spot.

Under the Deck


Ladies and gentlemen--meet Momma Possum:

Possum4

Possum3


Ain't she awesome?

Especially when you stick a foam bat in her mouth.

Oh Possum!


(Hurry, someone call PETA.)

You may be asking yourself right now why exactly I think this is a momma possum I've got here. You may even be assuming that I am sexist with assumptions. And to that I would say what do you call these?

Possum6


Ahem, and these?

Possum7


And this?

Possum9


Oh possum!

Baby Possum


Er, I mean possums. Momma and her four baby possums needed to find a new home quicker than a fly on a turd. I wouldn't have cared so much if momma and her babies lived under my deck if my boys were A.) nonexistant or B.) not curious, but alas they are quite the opposite and so I called animal control. Again. Again they told me to put down the $50 deposit or have my husband pull up the deck boards and they'd get the critters. Once I relayed that information back to my husband, he was all forget that and did the dirty work himself.

My boys couldn't have been more proud...I mean more curious.

Checking out the Baby Possums


Then that's when I got the begging to keep one as a pet. Just one baby possum pretty please.

I had to tell my husband no. No Way.

Mamma and Babies Ready to be Released


I called animal control to come get their possums and set them free, but not before my husband held one of the babies hostage and took it around the neighborhood for our neighbors to see.

I've never felt like more of a redneck than I did two days ago.

PS: Animal control finally showed up and took off with the possum family. They set them free for us. Of course, we found another baby possum after hours and so my husband took to being it's momma for the night carrying it around in his hoodie pocket and petting it and kissing it. Yes, I just said he kissed the danged thing. Several times.

PPS: I called animal control first thing in the morning. Cannot let that man get too attached.

21 Comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

These pictures kind of scare me.

PennsylvaniaBelle said...

Your husband is fearless!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I broke out in stress hives reading this post. Oh the horror! Those teeth! Those tails!

Shudder.

DangGina said...

I might just develop possum nightmares from the pictures you posted. Just sayin...

PS Sorry I've been MIA...life has been so verily busy lately! I still love your blog! :)

ForeverRhonda said...

We had a rather large raccoon that used to visit us frequently and my son wanted to visit it. Animal Control said they would not come relocate it because it was during a snowstorm and all the animals were "confused" during that time. I was worried because it was a raccoon out during the day...and my son wanted to play with it.

Those are really great pictures.

Kristi said...

Love the pictures!

Leiah said...

Oh my lordy - these pictures have me completely skeeved out. And I live in the country! Once my brother ran over something in the road and when he looked in the rearview mirror to see what he had hit, he saw it was a possum but the weirdest thing was the babies all crawling and running away. BLECH!

The Durham Family said...

ewwwwwww. I am in deep east texas and see those nasty things all the time....they look like very large rats. Makes me shiver just looking at your pictures.

caryjo said...

What a SCREAM!!! One of the most fun things I've ever read/seen. I'll be grinning all evening.

KMDuff said...

Glad they found a new home and didn't bite anyone!

Phoo-D said...

I was expecting you to say you still had one for hubs! Glad that animal control came before it was too late! Lily is cuter than any pet possum ;).

Screwed Up Texan said...

DangGina, Oh but they are so cuddly and soft and sweet! Not.

Leiah, Oh that's terrible!

Phoo-D, oh he gives me heck every day for not letting him keep that thing...he keeps thinking that another one will show up to takes its place.

Kristen said...

I am visiting over from Monica's blog. This was a joy to read and um I'd have been hiding inside. Possums have always scared me... there was a sleepover incident... shivver!

Nancy said...

SHe seems pretty creepy until that last picture of her with her babies . . . then it's kind of cute.

Foursons said...

As much as I detest those rodents I hope animal control reunited the separated babe with his family!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Kristen, thanks for stopping by and commenting! I must know about the sleepover incident!

Nancy, that was my thought too :)

Foursons, Sad news...by the time we got a hold of animal control, they'd already released the momma and babies, so they gave the extra baby to a rehabilitator. Which was all just more fuel for my husband to find excuses as why we should have kept it.

Crystal said...

That is the cutest thing ever!!

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

they look cute until they show those "fangs". i bet that would hurt if they got to close to a finger or somethin'.

Andi said...

I just found you from over at The Suburban Life. You are a riot! Those possums are so cute, that my husband would have to be the voice of reason.

Except the armadillo thing, and he would totally be chasing that thing down!

Anyway, I've read several of your posts now, and loved them all. Thanks for the laughs!

Oh, and if we can't laugh at our kids, who can?

And yes, you and Miss Dallas are definitely sisters...

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

ew. oh my golly. ew.

So after he kissed the possum, did he kiss you? I'd be all forget that.

Robyn said...

Awww, come on, let them have a possum for a pet!

Just kidding!

We have a little possum family that we see walking across our driveway every night. They look cute from a distance, but ewwww.... don't want to get close.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin