Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Baby Got Back

Ryan5BDay1


Saturday was a busy day and a day I've been looking towards for almost two years. What could be so exciting you ask? My youngest turned five years old. Five. Five means lots of special things for him (and me).

Five is an important milestone...it not only means that I've been able to survive some of the most mentally exhaustive years of my life as a mother, but it also means that in just a little over three-and-a-half months from now my youngest will be attending full day Kindergarten. I almost thought this day would never come. I mean, with poop smears and all, I was beginning to think I had at least three more years left until I could have a quiet home to myself all day long.

Some mothers cry when their children go off to school. Some mothers sit back, smile, and feel like jumping on their bed for joy. I'm certainly in that latter category.

Sorry?

For my youngest's fifth birthday, I wanted to do something special for his cake so this year we went to Walmart and looked at big boy toys for a while. First, I secretly sneaked the Ironman car into my shopping buggy. Then I went down another aisle and found two monster trucks for half the price and sneaked them into my buggy. Sneaked them because my youngest was with me. I thought I was doing a great job until he grabbed one of my clearance Miley Cyrus t-shirts in an effort to see what I put under them.

So I lied and told him the monster trucks were for his older brother's friend.

Which was a big mistake on my part because that is when the crying ensued. Lots of crying and screams and "I want that monster truck!" Horrible, terrible mistake I'm telling you. However, I kept my fib up all day and all night and all the next day and then made him his birthday cake:

Ryan5BDay1


He couldn't have been more happy to have such a wonderfully looking cake.

Ryan5BDay2


Oh who am I kidding? He didn't even touch the cake. He just wanted that monster truck.

Ryan5Bday3


My friends, I am the only one who ate that deliciousness called chocolate and crushed Butterfingers. The. Only. One.

Ryan5Bday4


"Mommy, you tricked me!" was all my youngest would say to me at cake time.

And then later that same day he had a present waiting for me on my kitchen counter:

Ryan5Bday5


Flies, rolly pollies, slugs, and spiders...oh my!

Ryan5Bday6


Friends, my son got me back.

14 Comments:

Tyler said...

Too funny!!! I love that he played the trick on you.. what a cutie pie!!

You made that cake?!?! That is awesome! I love it!

Have a great day girlie

I Am Wonderfully Made said...

That looks like an awesome cake! I would have flipped out when I saw those bugs. Ew they give me the willies!

Mrs. Gambizzle said...

That's an awesome cake, and so cute that he played a trick on you! I love it! :)

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, the bugs under the glasses are horrifying and hilarious all at the same time!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Tyler, He's a real stinker! The cake was easy, just three round chocolate cakes stacked on each other and the top one cut in half and stacked like stairs.

Wonderfully Made, Husband ended up pulverizing the slugs in the garbage disposal. Every time I wash the dishes I get the willies.

Mrs. Gambizzle, Cool name! RE my boy...like son like mother.

Foursons, Ha ha, I thought so too!

FluffyChicky said...

Must. have. that. cake.

And I am going to party when The Girl starts kindergarten. Party, I say!

Michelle Hoad said...

that is so not cool. I hate bugs and snakes. I once thought my kids were teasing me by placing a plastic snake right outside the door to the garage. Only they weren't and it really was. I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the cops due to my shrieking.

Jill C. said...

He definitely got you back! How funny!

Jennifer said...

i sooooooooooooooooo would've eaten that cake. butterfingers are amazing.

Steph said...

First, he's too adorable for a five year old! Heartbreaker.

and

Second, I would have helped you out with that cake, no question.

Garret J...3G Racing said...

Great cake...Have you taken him to a Monster Truck show yet? Oh, how about the SuperCross Races...He would love them!!

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

This cracks me up. I also belong in the category of moms who pray daily for a little freedom from their little tykes. Other moms ask me, "Don't you hate it that he's growing up so fast? In no time at all he'll be off your lap and on his way to school." I nod sadly and rejoice inwardly. :)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Screwed Up Texan said...

Michelle Hoad, That is funny! My kids lost a snake in the house once...never found him again.

Garret, I need to take him racing! My husband's cousin, Rick Johnson, does trials competitions in Utah (champ). I'm sure my kids would enjoy the Monster Truck races and Motocross alike.

Mindy, I knew I wasnt the only one!

Candance said...

Happy Birthday to that boy!!

I miss cake. And regular Dr. Pepper.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin