Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Dumpster Diving Diva and I Now Have Chairs

GarageSale7


About my most favorite thing to do on weekends...in fact, my most favorite thing to do if it weren't for hiking and roadtrips...is dumpster diving and garage saling. Really, I almost made a separate blog entitled The Dumpster Diving Diva, and honestly I think I could get away with it and make it the one new grand thing. I'd be a trend-setter.

Wouldn't I?

Don't steal my idea punk.

Crap. Someone got to it before I did.

If you were to visit my home, you may or may not be surprised to learn that I do not own, besides my flat screen television, a single item that I paid more than two-hundred-four dollars for. That's $204.

Most of these pieces of furniture and decorative items were bought at garage sales, found in dumpsters or given to me and my husband for free. My couch set: $150. My piano: $200. My china cabinet: $204. My table: free with top made by me for $38. My chandelier: $5.

For three years I have been begging my husband to get me some chairs. I have visited every thrift store in town with no luck of finding any chairs in my price range. Two years ago I determined that $5 per kitchen chair was the right price to pay.

(Don't I sound like the cheapwad I accuse my husband of being?...yes, we're a match made in heaven.)

Finally, this weekend I had enough of not having any seating for dinnertime and embarked on an early morning roadtrip around town garage saling. Would you laugh at me if I said that I felt God was leading me to these chairs? My husband sure did.

And that's when I found it. A brand new pasta maker for $10.

GarageSale1


A culinary device to sooth my culinary experimentations.

Oh, and then I found this pair of handmade earrings,

GarageSale3


and this pair too--for $4 per pair.

GarageSale4


Yes, it was going downhill quickly.

But I made some pasta!

GarageSale5


(Notice I still hadn't found any chairs by this point.)

I decided to go out one last time and look for chairs. That's when I found this inventive old pan. I overpaid for it. I suppose I just didn't feel like haggling at that point.

GarageSale2


But then shortly thereafter I found what I had been searching for three years for...kitchen table chairs:

GarageSale7


They may not have been beautiful. They may not have been perfect. But they fit perfectly into the eclectic style I have collected over the years. All for just about $2 per chair.

$2!

That's what I mean by Heavenly Father leading me to these chairs. Only He would have known that I'd be this happy about someone else's junk. Well, aren't you proud too?

Stop laughing.

PS: Those three missing lights in my chandelier are from my kids standing on the table and stealing them our Earth Day contribution. You're welcome.

15 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Congratulations on your big find. :)

Stacie said...

I get all anxious just sitting here at my desk thinking of all the goodies I am missing out on. Dang adult responsibilities.

You may want to consider a roadtrip to Upstate New York for the...you'd better sit down for this...World's Largest Garage Sale. It is everything you could possibly want. And more. I happen to live just 30 short miles away and am currently counting down the days (October 2nd and 3rd).

Paula said...

I LOVE the earrings. I love getting a deal.. congrats on all your finds!! I can't wait to get back on the mainland (from Hawaii) to do real garage sailing again.

Kristi said...

Beautiful room! Congrats on your garage sale find! I love a good deal.

Wendybob said...

LOVE IT ALL...take a big road trip up to West Texas this weekend...we're having the Highway 70 Garage sale Saturday. It's all the little towns along Hwy 70 having city-wide g-sales all day long. I CAN"T WAIT! I'm gonna go nuts!

I'm lookin' for chairs as well!

Foursons said...

Love the earrings!

And way to go on your contribution for Earth Day. Your carbon footprint is now smaller. Or should it be bigger? I'm not sure, but either way- good job!

Love the chairs too. Laughing that you paid twice as much for earrings, but it's all good.

Jill C. said...

Great deal on those chairs and the I'm jealous about the pasta maker! I want one!

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

I hope your chairs last you a long time. Unfortunately, we too are owners of second- and third-hand furniture. And, we've found, nothing craps out faster than kitchen chairs. The legs start to come apart, the glue dries up keeping all the parts together, and in general we just end up buying more second hand chairs.

But, hey, it could work for you!

Steph said...

I'm so jealous of your pasta maker find! What a great deal. And the chairs are great too.

Michelle said...

I am a closet dumpster diver myself... some of my best finds...and please don't go "oh gross"...are
1) The time I went to visit a friend who had just moved into a really nice house and proceeded to throw the contents of the closet,left over from the previous owner,into the street...it was the new, Itailian silk neck ties with the tags still on them that caught my eyes, but then I found an men's Ebel watch. I sent it into "Cash for Gold" and got a check for $300.00!!
2) #2 is the time my bachelor pad neighbor moved out and dumped the entire contents of his freezer onto the top of the garbage. I'm talking a $30.00 Chesesi's Ham...which was still frozen solid and as big a a boulder...oh yeah, we ate off off that for a week! ~LOL~

So, I totally get you and your chairs!!

Jane said...

Finally I know where the infamous banana pants came from.

NitWit1 said...

The chairs and the head and foot of table look like near antiques so you may have a great bargain.

On our recent trip to NC I picked up a lovely casserole dish in a stand. Price NOTHING. My husband ex-brother-in-law and personal friend was having a garage sale. He told us we could have anything we wanted. I also took a footed carnival glass candy stand. Both near antiques.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Oh WendyBob, that sounds wonderful!

Foursons, you know, I never thought of it that way...

Michelle, Hee hee, dont get grossed out, but I once went to the dump in a little town I lived in and saw fresh grapes the store had dumped, so I grabbed them and took them home and ate them. Did it with bananas too.

NitWit1, Great find! Love it when it's free.

PennsylvaniaBelle said...

I am an avid dumpster diver. I am always afraid people will see me. I got my curtain rods, patio chairs and a desk from the dumpster!

Vanessa said...

I'm just dying to know WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN EATING DINNER before the blessed chairs? I'm trying to picture you and your kids all eating your dinner standing...
I have no doubt Heavenly Father was leading you to buy chairs if it means having a real family dinner time- that's huge!
You have almost converted me to the idea of dumpster diving. ; )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin