Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Break

PearSpring1


It's Spring Break this week for us down here in Texas and so far we're taking advantage of it. On Saturday, we spent an entire day thatching, raking, and mowing a neighbor's yard, and then dumping all 810 gallons of grass clippings. What we thought would take four hours, took us nine. Just a tad bit of an underestimate. Somehow, raking and weeding reminds me of Spring Break as child working away while I thought I should be vacationing. I'm sure my children think the same way about their break and wonder what their parental units are doing to them.

I bought each of the boys their own rake for $3 a piece at Lowes so they could help us with the lawn. After a couple hours of working, I gave them a break from work and then took them to a nearby park to let them play. It was easy getting them to play nicely with the other kids--all I had to do was threaten them with thoughts of raking.

Half-way into the day I was exhausted and dirty. I had dirt and grass clippings every where imaginable. I quickly got used to the gritty texture in my mouth each time I took a swig of high powered energy drink. My husband sported an airbrushed tan of crisp bermuda grass and clay topsoil.

AllieDirt


Later this week we want to do something fun for Spring Break with the boys. We were planning on going down to San Antonio, but since we made that decision at the last minute, I don't even know that we'll be doing that. All the nearby state parks are full so camping there is out. It's Spring Break so I'm afraid hotels will be very expensive. So unless we can find A.) a reasonably priced hotel or B.) an empty camping spot I haven't thought of yet, San Antonio may be out of the picture this time around.

Another idea we've been flirting with is taking the boys out fossil hunting again. They love fossil hunting as much as we do (I'm mostly not lying). We have several possible places to go around where we live although we'd like to adventure somewhere new. Of course a road trip is always possible. Or we could just stay here. Y'all have any ideas?

PearSpring2


In the meantime, I'm going to keep on enjoying this nice springtime weather. What are you doing for Spring Break?

PS: Go check out Modern Bird Studios' interview of Screwed Up Texan (that's me!)! While you're there, check out their cool artwork too!

12 Comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

I'm starting my new job for spring break. yay?

Foursons said...

Put a tent up in your back yard! And have you checked out Canyon Lake for camping? The schools in that area don't have Spring Break until next week.

Wym said...

San Antonio has a place called the Hill Country Inn and Suites. I love it. They may be a bit more pricey because of the SB but, the have a huge pool and spa, a playground, and cabin-like rooms. They give you a great breakfast and drinks and snack in the evenings. It is a family place that is central to all and not stuffy or uptight. I recommend.

Leiah said...

Isn't there some place outside of Blanco (between SA & Austin) where they found dinosaur tracks? My ex FIL lived there and I seem to remember being there one weekend when it was on the news. You'll make it fun no matter what y'all do. Your family has the best adventures!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Boob, which reminds me, I quit my job two spring breaks ago.

Foursons, Canyon Lake looks like fun--only first comes left though (yes I checked!)

Wym, Oh I think I have heard of that place. I'll have to check it out too.

Leiah, I havent heard of that place---I'll check it out. I have heard of Dinosaur Valley SP near Glen Rose. Is that where you mean? PS the dino tracks there are awesome!

ForeverRhonda said...

I have to work...except Friday. I took the day off and I may or may not leave early both today and Thursday. Today depends on if my boss is going to come back to the office and Thursday well that just depends on how I feel. We haven't planned anything but I have promised my son that it will be super fun. He's been earning money mowing lawns all week...sans threatening! How's that for awesome!

Wiffette said...

your hair looks great

Screwed Up Texan said...

Forever Rhonda, Totally awesome!

Wiffette, You love that windblown look eh? :)

Marilyn said...

I love spring break!!

Kristi said...

Love your flower photos!

We're sticking at home this spring break. Flag football for Easton and staples in Evi's head kept us from driving to San Diego.

DangGina said...

I don't have a spring break, because I don't have children, I'm not in school myself, and I'm not a teacher.

But I have every Friday off, so life ain't all bad...

I think Spring wants to happen up here in Idaho! We were in the 50s today! (Mind you, it snowed on Saturday, but still...IN THE 50S! In March! Joyous day!)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Marilyn, You can say that again.

Kristi, Thanks, I see you've been figuring out how to use that new camera of yours. What a bummer...sorry about Evi's head!

DangGina, Would you wanna kick my butt if I bragged and said that we were in the 70s? But we had a foot of snow a month ago.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin