Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Meet the Modern Day Flintstones

NSR2


Warning: This post is full of nerd talk.

When most people talk about what they did for their weekend, they don't say, "We went fossil hunting." Most people that is unless you're asking our family. That's right ladies and gentlemen, we are die hard fossil nerds.

Which is why we made it up to our favorite place to take our kids fossil collecting in Texas, the North Sulphur River near Ladonia.

NSR3


The North Sulphur River is a beautiful river chock full of fossils and wildlife. We have found mosasaur vertebrae, bones, and teeth, fish teeth, vertebrae and even a fin, baculites, ammonites, as well as many others. Our favorite finds though are the shark teeth. What is great about taking our kids to this river to fossil collect is that they are learning about science in an open and fun environment. We always leave with something from the river, but as I've heard quoted before: you don't find the fossils, the fossils find you. How's that for nerdy?

SharkTooth2


SharkTooth1


I'll be the first to admit that it is quite the experience letting our boys run free in the gravel and mud; then finally flop over from pure exhaustion at the end of a long day.

Oh the quiet.

Oh the mud. But that's because fossil hunting is a serious business.

NSR4


I always seem to collect tons more pretty rocks than I do fossils. For instance, I found this worn and tumbled fossilized oyster:

NSR1


And through it back so I could make space for this pretty pearlescent non-fossil:

NSR9


My husband always laughs at me when I do that.

At the end of the day, we were all wet, muddy, and tired. Lily didn't even look like a dog anymore. We carefully stripped the boys, changed their clothes, and everyone rode home without shoes and in mostly silence. Well, until an SUV nearly t-boned us in the city. Idiot.

NSR8


Now if only I can convince my kids I'm not the fossil.

17 Comments:

Michelle Hoad said...

That looks like fun! My kids love to go to the river near us with dinosaur footprints in it. It is really cool and not many people know about it. I've never looked for fossils, but now I'm going to. (We're nerds too)

Foursons said...

Definitely nerdy- but very COOL nerds!

insockmonkeyslippers said...

Awesome! Our family are fossil nerds as well but never tried hunting up north before. We can spend hours at the family ranch digging in the cliffs.

insockmonkeyslippers said...

Awesome! Our family are fossil nerds as well but never tried hunting up north before. We can spend hours at the family ranch digging in the cliffs.

Mahala said...

Oh. My. Gawd. I dig in my yard for old Indian stuff all the time. I've found pot shards and arrowheads and crap.

Becky said...

Come up here to places near Lake Merdith in some of our small cliffs. You can hunt for arrowheads and who knows what else!

Mindee said...

I used to go arrowhead hunting with my grandma. I loved it - such good memories! It looks like you made some good finds.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Michelle, are you near Glen Rose?

Foursons, Yes! Wait. HOw does that work?

insockmonkeyslippers, First, cool name. Oh you must tell me where you go!

Mahala, I did find some fossilized crap.

Becky, Oh my husband would LOOOOOVE that!

Mindee, I once knew a guy in San Saba TX that literally had an old shed FILLED with Native American artifacts that he had found on his land over the years. He also had some shrunken human heads from South America.

Paula said...

I just found out that where I grew up has a HUGE fossil area. It was discovered about 5 years ago. They have found amazing discoveries. Of course, we had the largest oil field find at one time during the 50's oil boom, so guess we shouldn't be so surprised. Here is an article about the find: ttp://bit.ly/9W9unv.

Love it that you let your boys run and get muddy.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

How fun, I don't think it's nerdy at all. One of our favorite things to do at the beach is find cool shells, or at the deer camp, is go searching for arrowheads, or even fossils. Love the shark teeth.

Em Static said...

Last night I asked for links to everyone's favorite blogs and I was forwarded here to yours.

I have to say, you've inspired me. I've been living in southern Louisiana nearly a year and I have yet to explore the outdoors. Seeing all your pictures made me want to go hiking or something. So, as soon as Mr Gadget emerges from his office I'm going to ask (read: beg and demand) we go on an outdoor adventure sometime soon.

So, I'm following you now. If you'd like me to mail you a Dr Pepper as a tip, that's cool too. ;)

DangGina said...

Looks like good times! Playing in the mud is terrific, and I love that you guys play in the mud as a family! Awesome!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Paula, Oh cool! We love going out and discovering places like that!

Jenna, We love looking for seashells too! I've got a whole bucket of lightening whelks...the state seashell of Texas.

Em Static, Glad Leiah suggested you to me. I read your blog and was laughing the whole way through.

DangGina, Funny thing was that I got my hair done right before I went and the only two things that came out clean were ONE: My Hair and TWO: My camera. It's those important things ya know.

Vic | UPrinting said...

I love the idea of "fossil hunting". It must be fun to have your very own team of archeologist. :-)

This activity will definitely help the kids become more aware with the history of life here on our planet and I think this will also make them more concern with our changing planet's weather. This is the type of activities that will definitely stimulate the child's imagination.

blessedintexas said...

Awesome! I was going to take you up on your suggestion to go here for fossil hunting back when my Dad came to visit but it was cold and rainy for a lot of the visit so we didn't get to go. Man, this looks like such a great place. I want to hang out with your family!!

ForeverRhonda said...

I think that is awesome! Can you email me more information about the place Allie?

Wym said...

I would fossil hunt every weekend as a kid. I think it high time I teach my kids the joy. Thanks for the inspiration!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin