Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Canyon Lake

CanyonLake2


My husband took the wheel and began making the trip to Canyon Lake since he didn't want to die from my road rage tendencies. I thought I'd enjoy driving, but my control issues got the best of me and confessed to myself (not out loud of course) that perhaps I was better driving from the passenger seat. So I pulled out my Droid and punched in the address for camping at Canyon Lake and Google Maps navigation had us on our way.

Soon enough, but longer than we thought it would take, we were at the entrance gate to the campgrounds. That's when we saw the sign: "Notice, campground is full." I sat in my seat fuming, wondering why I allowed my husband to make the planning decisions once again. There was my control issues setting in again. Of course, I should have known better than to travel without making reservations since this is not the first time this has happened to us. I remember that trip to Enchanted Rock in the Hill Country all too well.

A woman never forgets.

I never learn.

We had driven this far and we were not about to turn around. We may not get to go camping at Canyon Lake, but we could at least find a place to park and enjoy an hour or two while there walking around the lake and letting the boys get out and stretch their legs.

CanyonLake3

Fossil imprints at Canyon Lake


It was a perfect early spring day--abundant sunshine, a warm breeze, and the first wildflowers beginning to bloom. Boats were on the lake and we caught glimpses of at least a couple risk-takers taking a dip in the still cool lake. The lake may have been beautiful, but I was not about to wade into these waters.

CanyonLake1


There were plenty of sites to see and scenes to make me laugh. Lily almost caught a male swallowtail butterfly, my youngest begged to take a dead perch home, and I took coverts shots of a redneck and his family trying to hook their boat back into their trailer. I laughed because the wife was obviously embarrassed that her husband had backed their van into the water so far she couldn't see where the trailer was so to steer the correct way as well as the fact that their van was so far into the water surely he had flooded the back. All I could here from him was, "It's alright woman! Just steer!"

CanyonLake2


After a short hike and breaks at the port-o-potties, we got back on the road again towards San Antonio. This time we were looking for a hotel. I knew hotel searching was going to be a trip in and of itself.

Thank goodness my Twitter friends were watching out for me...

Be sure to check out my other Spring Break 2010 Posts:

Part 1: Texas Weather is Like a Box of Chocolates
Part 2: Roadtrip Cheapwadry - Driving on the Wild Side
Part 3: Why I Don't Drive on Roadtrips
Part 4: Canyon Lake
Part 5: Hooker Hotels and Long Lost Aunts
Part 6: The Alamo and I Still Have No Clue Who Jim Bridger Is
Part 7: Let's Go to Luckenbach Texas

6 Comments:

Foursons said...

It's alright woman, just steer!

Aw...redneck at its finest.

Le'Ann Ruggles said...

Rednecks with boats. Gotta love it.

Weekend Cowgirl said...

The photo of boat and van is hilarious.

Lorilee said...

I once waterskiied at Canyon Lake on Mother's Day. The water was FREEZING. My Dad and I can be quite entertained watching folks loading their boats onto the trailers. A good windy day really adds to the entertainment factor.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I would rather be in a hotel than a tent any day. IMHO, you made GREAT plans. :)

Pixel Perfect said...

It looks like you had fun!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin