Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Forbidden Fiction


So, my husband's newest favorite television series is Spartacus: Blood and Sand which airs on Starz. It deals with the story of a man captured and forced into the role of gladiator and is set back in the days of Rome. I think it has something to do with this story, but I'm not sure since I never paid attention during my Literature class in college and I fell asleep during episode two. It is chock full of fighting, blood, sweat, filth, coarse language, and adult content. In fact, I can see only three reasons a woman might want to watch the series:

1.) She is a lover of history and folklore.
2.) She is a lover of hot male bodies.
3.) She is a lover of all things romance.

Maybe I'm just talking about myself.

It seems in every epidsode I have seen arms chopped off, heads severed, bodies pierced by the sword, and last night a torso sliced into two. Then there's the blood sprays. The blood sprays are all their own--slow motioned, surreal, and artistic...like an Athenian vase painting in motion.

Personally I'm sticking with Big Love.

Yes, there's some adult content, criminal activities, and occasionally a dead body or two, but at least this HBO series is something that I can relate to:

1.) Previous location.
2.) LDS references.
3.) Family turmoil.
4.) Margene.
5.) Past struggles with faith.
6.) Family drama.
7.) Motherhood.
8.) Wifedom.
9.) Family secrets.

Ever wonder where rich rednecks live? It is my personal opinion they reside in Big Love.

And redneckism is something I know a little too much about.

So, what is your favorite television show or movie to watch?

PS: You'll never convince me to stop watching Big Love. However, Spartacus is a whole 'nother story. But wait first while I finish watching the last episode of Big Love on my DVR.

PPS: You can purchase the above photograph from my Screwed Up Texan Etsy Shop. I think forbidden fruit is a good pictorial reference for this post.

8 Comments:

ForeverRhonda said...

I have a TON of shows that I watch. Hence I love my DVR. Greys Anatomy. Private Practice. House. There are lots more. I'm a total television junkie. It's a bad habit. And guess what? I don't even care!!!

Screwed Up Texan said...

ForeverRhonda, I love my little habit too!

Karen said...

Love the photo and it is perfect for this post.

Sadly, I never have time for TV. This is actually becoming a problem for me since I have no idea what is going on in pop-culture.

As far as the redneck culture goes....I have much experience there myself.

Morgan Familia said...

I'm with ForeverRhonda - I love my DVR. Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives... Mmm, my favorite "while the babies nap" past-time.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Morgan Familia, DVRs are a modern day miracle. In my most biased opinion of course.

Melessa said...

Your husband and I could double date. Though all my Big Love episodes except for the first two from this season are sitting unwatched on my DVR because my whistle-blowing 12 year-old daughter stays up later than she used to and likes to share WAY too much about me in her YW meetings.

Candance said...

Dude, I can't watch Big Love for the same Melessa said: 12-year-old night owl whistle blowing girl and I don't even have a DVR right now and can't make myself get one. It's hard cause now I don't get to watch much of anything I like. Which is why Spiderman 2.1 is on my television as we speak.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Melessa and Candance, oh my you two. Funny thing that I used to be a whistle blower too, and now the only one I whistle blow on is myself.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin