Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Blast from the Past


The above photograph taken by my very talented friend of Andie Smith Photography.

Ever wonder what people think about you? For real? In every day life? My Biblical Literature teacher at Carmel High School of Indiana in the eleventh grade thought it was important, and near the end of the semester made it our class assignment.

You see, he had each of us tear out a sheet of notebook paper, scrawl our name across the top and then randomly pass our papers around class. He then had each student write one thing that they thought described the person whose name was written on that sheet of paper--anonymously. I have no recollection of what I wrote that day to any of my classmates, but I've kept my own sheet of paper that my classmates had written about me folded up inside my purse for three years before losing it sometime after I married.

Until yesterday when my oldest son found it, unfolded it, and gave it to my husband. I knew something was up when I heard them laughing in the other room.

Wonder how much I've changed since 1998? In no particular order, here is what my classmates thought of me some eleven or twelve years ago:

Contributes to class: 5
Something good to say: 2
Voices own opinions or expressive: 5
Talked quite a bit: 2 (I've been accused of this recently)
Friendly: 6
Funny: 1 (I'm working on this)
Good luck: 1 (what exactly does this mean?)
Smart: 6
Awesome: 3
You draw nice pictures on your tests: 1 (thanks for noticing)
Your name is cool/That's a big name up there: 2
Welcome home dear, I love yo style (obviously this soul came to class high)
Pretty: 2 (makes me laugh...I oughta dig up that school portrait)
You always know what to say to Mr Knowles to make him put his foot in his mouth: 1 (true, so true)

And the number one comment from Mr Knowles himself:

"I will miss your smiling face, your probing questions, and your begging for food! Thanks for bringing a lively atmosphere to this course."

Mr Knowles, you'd be proud of me today. In fact, if you'd like to send me some Dr Pepper, I'd be more than obliged.

Ahem.

A Blast from the Past:

Um WOW.


Sporting my previous school's band outfit at their rival school (my new school).


I couldn't sing then. I can't sing now.


Watch out teachers--you never know when I might bring a camera to class (this is also the same teacher a classmate and I teased unmercifully over a handwritten note of his we found that had an appointment for a castration. Probably his pet's castration, but that's not what we thought.)


Because nothing wakes you up better on Christmas morning than gorilla slippers.


I freaked out many a returned missionary in college over this photo.


Me circa 2009. I'm thinking I haven't changed much over the years.


So, how do you remember yourself when you were younger? Do you think you've changed much?

12 Comments:

Mommas Soapbox said...

LOVED this post..... You look like you were a lot of fun!!! Crack me up girl.

Michelle Hoad said...

I am so far from being the person I was in high school, it's like I had a brain transplant. My 20 year reunion is coming up this summer and I can't decide if I really want to go. I hated high school and most of the people I went with, but I would love to go and shock to crap out of everyone. Well, that and find out who got fat.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Ugh. I try very hard to NOT remember myself as a teenager. You are very brave!

Foursons said...

Bawahahahahaha! Hahahahaha and hahahahahaha!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Karen said...

Thank you so much for the laugh. You are a crack up!

Oh heck....I don't know if or how much I have changed since high school. If my hair doesn't cooperate, it is no longer debilitating, but if the guy I like doesn't pay enough attention to me, I still want to pout.

Marylin said...

LOL! Love this post!! So funny! I think that for the most part I am still just as annoying now as I was in High School, the only difference is my children have to sit and listen to it, while back in the day people could just walk away!! :) LOL! Oh hey and just thought I would let you know I am doing a give away on my blog!! :)

Screwed Up Texan said...

MommasSoapbox, I'd like to think I was too! Still sad only ONE person thought so, LOL!

Michelle Hoad, I totally skipped my ten year reunion. I switched high school so much I didnt think anybody would miss me.

Mindee, lol, No, brave would have been posting that high school portrait. Ew!

Foursons, Anytime. :)

Karen, my hair never cooperates. Its gotten even worse with these gray hairs.

Marilyn, Thanks for the heads up I LOVE aprons!

NitWit1 said...

My high school days I'd just as soon forget, but now college was a different story!

FluffyChicky said...

Where can I get an elf outfit? Because wearing something like that would totally bring me up a notch or two on the cool ladder. Awesome.

And I totally snorted water up my nose at the leaf picture. Which is quite a painful experience when you have a headcold.

DangGina said...

What's great for you is that you were cool back then.

I only THOUGHT I was cool. Well, no, that's not entirely true. I knew I was somewhere between popular and invisible, and I didn't care.

Nowadays, I still don't really care what people think, but I'm much, much cooler. Oh yeah, and I express myself more easily.

Wym said...

you are my new fav blog. I love this idea. after 7 years of teaching, sadly, I have left the classroom and fear I will never get the chance to use it. How cool that you kept that. I bet your teacher would be so flattered.

Screwed Up Texan said...

NitWit1, Oh boy do I have some fun college photos I could share too. Maybe for a different post. Maybe.

FluffyChicky, I kept that elf outfit for a long time. Not sure what happened to it after my husband cleaned out the garage.

Oh DangGina! I was NOT cool--ever. I was one of those that hung out with everyone. Just quirky in my own way.

Wym, I should totally look him up and send him a link, huh? Wonder what he'd think or if he'd even remember me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin