Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm Leaving the Cold for Detroit



"Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative." --Oscar Wilde

Well what do you expect Mr. Wilde...I haven't had my daily dose of caffeine all day. 

This Sunday I am leaving for Detroit to attend the North American International Auto Show. I'm excited, I'm nervous, but mostly I am terrified of the cold. Not even my fear of flying trumps my fear of frigid temperatures. Call me a Texan Pansy, if you will, but the whole reason my husband and I moved from the little ole town of Hanna, Wyoming was because we both felt it was too remote and backwards cold. You've got to love a town that snows falls on in the middle of summer.

While at the NAIAS, I'll be checking out all the newest vehicles and vehicle concepts from several automakers. Since General Motors is sponsoring my trip to Motor City, I'll also be interviewing GM executives. It's like they can't get enough of me. Which reminds me--I've got to get a voice recorder this time as I'm sure we don't need a repeat of my interview with Tim Herrick.

One of the vehicles that I am excited to learn more about is the Chevy Spark which is slated to come to the United States in 2011.



I'm also interested in learning more about OnStar and what they have to offer. I'll also be checking out several other brands while I'm there. I can't wait to share my experiences with you! My friend, Andie, is going with me so you know it's going to be good.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear from you on your tips for surviving cold weather temperatures before I take off for Detroit. Should I suck it up and quit whining like a loser or is there something magical about frozen ears and cracked lips that I am missing? Also, seeing as I haven't flown in ten years, what's your best advice for getting through lines the most efficiently or is this question a guarantee now that I'm going to get patted down? For extra marks, you can now take the Screwed Up Texan Pat Down Poll thanks to my friend, Frazzled LaShawn.

In the meantime, keep up with me on Twitter. I'll be back in full swing Wednesday, January 13th if Andie doesn't let me use her laptop before then.

Or leave a comment here, because I don't leave until Sunday morning.

19 Comments:

Becky said...

Be sure you take a COAT, not a jacket! Love it when our south Texas friends come to the Panhandle in winter and wonder why we are so cold. Have fun!

Linn said...

I posted yesterday you would need long johns. Today, I give you ear bags. I know it sounds rediculous, but they are wonderful. Here's a link. http://www.earmuffshop.com/earbags/

Sheril said...

never underestimate a good warm scarf, and keep a pair of gloves in your pocket and you should be good to go. As long as you stay out or the wind, I always find that the worst part of the cold. Have a great time!!!

Wander said...

Cool trip! You can take it!

The cold weather? Mmm, wear layers. Scarves aren't just for fashion, ya know? They keep you warm too.
DO NOT forget gloves! Good shoes that won't let in wet snow are a must as well.
The flying? First....DO NOT pad your underwear with anything remotely explosive! They are really crackin down on this!
I'm just sayin!
Otherwise....get your Starbucks and hop on that bird and ride!
You're gonna have fun!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Oh Becky, I will definitely remember that. On our trip to Utah last summer none of brought jackets of any kind. We got to northern AZ and Utah and thought we were going to freeze. I'm bringing the big coat grandma gave me in Utah, scissor cut and all.

Oh Linn, I checked that site out. I've never heard of bandless earmuffs before. I wonder if they'll fit my crooked left ear.

Sheril, I hadnt even thought of a scarf, thank you!

Wander, No worries about padding my underwear. My butt is already too big.

Foursons said...

Academy has some snow boots for under $20. Even if you aren't gonna be out playing in the snow, they keep your feet warm. I'm wearing mine today and my toes are toasty.

Also, while you're there pick up a thermal shirt. That did wonders for us on our vacation!

Karen said...

My airport advice may be a bit outdated since I haven't flown in almost a year, but.... for what it's worth.

Wear shoes that are easy on and easy off. Most places you have to remove to get through security. (I am just hoping this does not now apply to underwear, Yikes.)

Manage your liquids. Put them all in your quart size zip lock bag. Here is the link... http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
That will save you an absurd amount of time if you have that all managed.

The days you fly, try to wear as little metal as possible. examples....shoes with steal toes, under wires (if possible), Belts, a lot jewelry. For me, nothing sets off the, you need a pat down alarm, like cheap jewelry or a cheap bra with an under wire. Hopefully your luck in that category will be better.

Have a great time and be safe. I love Detroit. I have been there once, but would go again.

Happy travels.

ForeverRhonda said...

I bought my wonderful boots at the Wal-Mart for $15 (I KNOW!) and I love (no I LOVE THEM)...and socks...I didn't believe people but the keeping warm is all in the right socks. Academy has some great socks. Check out the hunting section.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Foursons, Thanks for the suggestions. A thermal shirt is a great idea that I hadnt even thought about.

Karen, Thank you for the link...I wondered what it was. Great tips!

ForeverRhonda, Argh! The Walmarts in OK must have a better selection b/c all I can find are steel toe mens boots. lol

texasholly said...

It will be warmer than it is here. I promise. BUT layers! Layers and layers are good because in cold climates the indoors is usually very warm which means that you are all bundled up and will get HOT immediately. Take this from a girl that grew up in Nebraska, Michigan, Washington State, Washington DC, Kansas, Pennsylvania...no wonder I love Texas!

NitWit1 said...

It appears you have plenty of suggestions. Since it is as cold or colder than Detroit in Arkansas.

Basically layers of clothes, insulated underwear, coats, headgear, earmuffs I can't go out without them), maybe insulated and waterproof footwear.

Above all have fun!!!

Jane said...

Wear shorts and a t-shirt. With sandals. This will force you to acclimate to the cool climate. Anything else is just forestalling the inevitable frostbite.

:-)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Texas Holly, Oh layers!

NitWit1, I am seriously considering the longjohns.

Jane, Oh now why hasnt anyone else thought of that!

Bruce Nunnally said...

Stay inside as much as possible -- Based on outfits of the Spokes-Models at the Auto Shows it apparently is very warm near the car displays.

Post lots of Cadillac pics. That's the other important part of the show.

Tracey said...

My advice for cold weather "think and drink warm". Think warm thoughts and drink lots of coffee and/or tea!

Have fun in Detroit! Onstar is the coolest thing since sliced bread! I have it in my company car which is a Chevy Impala.

We are a FORD FAMILY for our personal vehicles...sure wish Ford would get Onstar or something similar...that would be heavenly!

Chet Of The Undead said...

Call me a Texan Pansy

Okaaaaaay but ONLLLY if well paid...ANNND if in my black leather "Master" gear...and YESSS before you ask, I do look adorable in it. I'm a cartoon vampire...I look pretty much adorable in anything :P ;) lol

One of the vehicles that I am excited to learn more about is the Chevy Spark which is slated to come to the United States in 2011.

Cool, looooove the look of it, but when did Annie become an auto trade show model chick, and if that is so...why isn't she in a ridiculous bikini with big fake knockers? :P LOL

Seriously, hope you're having fun at ze auto show...and feel free to give me a looksee when you get back!

Oh and I'm on Twitter too! But then again who ISN'T these days? Hell, my can of Dr Pepper here probably has its own Twitter page and its probably secretly posting tweets right now about how great Avatar was!! (Better hurry up though, I'm slurping it to death MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Travis Erwin said...

Enjoy the trip.

WellspringCreations said...

Check our the TSA website for restricted goods. Those dangerous chemicals include open bottles of cosmetics that are too big!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

LoveFeast Table said...

As someone who lives in the tundra very near the Canadian border...at least near enough...I can honestly say, going north is the wrong direction!! It only takes seconds to get frostbit...sort of. Oh, and as for the above...warm Dr. Pepper...I mean really warm...is a Minnesota "warming house" tradition, I think. ~Chris Ann

Blog Widget by LinkWithin