Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 25, 2010

I Wanna Be a Pepper



I feel perplexed. I just finished watching the movie Julie and Julia (I know...I am probably the last person in America to watch it) and I am not sure if I should feel more proud of Julie for taking on Julia with so much confidence and food flops or if I should be angry at Julia Child for thinking that Julie was being disrespectful of Julia.

As a writer, I am hurt. I am crushed for Julie. I feel like I can feel her pain of discovering that her idol didn't like her. I don't enjoy feeling this way.

So I went to Walmart and drank a Dr Pepper instead.

Have you ever tasted a real Dr Pepper by any chance? I mean a real. cold. made with real sugar. Dr Pepper? I did Saturday. I didn't think there would be much of a difference in flavor until I visited the Dublin Texas Dr Pepper bottler just south of Stephenville, Texas. The experience was indeed divine.




It all started Saturday morning as I was moderating comments on this blog (do you know how many spam links I have saved y'all from? Someone in China is out to get me) and trying to figure out what to do for the day. I was thinking about my Dr Pepper post when suddenly an idea popped into my mind: why not visit the infamous Dr Pepper bottler in Dublin, Texas? I had no idea where it was or how long I'd have to drive to get there or when the last tour ended, but by George I was going!



Miraculously, I convinced my husband to tag along with me and the kids. Secretly, I think he just wanted to find out what all the fuss was about.



So we arrived in Dublin, Texas just as the clock was signaling fifteen minutes to the last tour of the day. I've never seen so much Dr Pepper memorabilia in my life. Somehow, I thought I was in heaven. I just might have been for a moment.

Yes,  as soon as that Dr Pepper made from pure cane Imperial sugar hit my tastebuds and swirled across my mouth and danced on my tongue, I was somewhere between Heaven and Earth. For 6.5 ounces of pure indulgence of the nectar of the gods I was lost for a moment in time.




In fact, the Dublin Dr Pepper bottler has been in operation since 1891, the longest of any bottler under the same name. When other Dr Pepper bottlers began using high fructose corn syrup to cut costs in the 1970s, the Dublin bottler refused to and continues to use Imperial pure cane sugar as their sweetener of choice. I honestly did not think there would be any difference in flavor, but to my surprise the taste is not only distinguishable, but also much better than the variety I am so used to purchasing at my local store.Who would have known I had been missing out all this time?



I think the real Dr Pepper did, and that is why I had such an impromptu idea Saturday morning. It was speaking to me.

You must taste it for yourself.




PS: I bet Julia Child didn't like Dr Pepper either. Makes me second guess her culinary choices.

Disclosure: Dr Pepper has never heard of me. Or heard me. What would you know if I had laryngitis the day I visited the Dublin Dr Pepper bottler.

18 Comments:

Mindee said...

Yum. I want some.

kristi said...

I really liked that movie but didn't understand the part of Julia not liking someone who idolized her. Mmmmm Dr Pepper!

Expat From Hell said...

As a Dr. Pepper lover from childhood (moved right to that 10-2-4 bottle from the breast), this was a great post to read. I need to get down to Dublin with the quickness. Also just watched J&J, so don't feel too bad. I, too, was disappointed that Julia Child didn't acknowledge Julie's accomplishment before she died. I think that's why the movie was so compelling - it didn't have a necessarily "happy" ending. Glad you did, down there in Dublin. EFH

andie said...

man.. now I am the last person to see that movie....

mmm dublin dr pepper... you know you can buy it at the walmart???

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

I love Dr. Pepper! I'm jealous.

I just watched that movie also. I can't believe they made a book and a movie about that blog. The most interesting thing was the story of Julia Child. I was so bored when it would switch back to the girl blogging, and of course I LOVE blogging. I LOVED the Julia Child part though, it was so interesting and made me want to go back in time to Paris and cook with lots and lots of butter!

I think I get Julia's point... she probably thought the girl was riding her coat tails and sort of mocking her recipes. I mean for goodness sake, all she did was cook recipes from a book and they wrote a book and made a movie about it! Most people do that everyday. I just don't get it. If she made up original recipes each day like the real Julia, maybe that would be worth a movie. Did I say I was disappointed?? ha. Wonder what that girl is doing now? Does anyone know?

Julie K. said...

You should read the book--it's even better than the movie, and they don't put quite as much emphasis on the Julia details and Julia hating Julie.

And I'm a huge Dr. Pepper fan too. My husband's Chruch threw us a Dr. Pepper themed shower for us when we got married, complete with Dr. Pepper corsage.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Julie K, that is the coolest themed marriage shower I have EVER heard of!

DangGina said...

Another painful post to read about. An entire post dedicated to the deliciousness that I'm trying so damn hard to overcome! I must be a glutton for punishment is what! DAMN!

Truly, though, I'm glad you got to taste the real deal...next time you have one, think of me, if but for a moment...

Foursons said...

Do you have Chicken Express where you live? They serve the real stuff there.

Pippa said...

You are evil! Everytime I come over to your blog I get cravings for not just one glass of Dr P, but two or three or four.... now I want to go on a tour. Hmm Wonder how I can get my husband to buy me flights from the UK...

NitWit1 said...

I lived in Brownwood and regularly went through Dublin to visit grandparents and aunts in Stephenville where my parents were from. Dr. Pepper was a regular in our house. Mother especially liked it. However she told me it had prune juice as a part of its fruity mix which did me in for a little while.

texasholly said...

We used to mail order the Dublin Dr. Pepper. Thankfully, we can now get it locally at several locations or I would totally be up for a ROAD TRIP.

Great pics.

Chet Of The Undead said...

Have you ever tasted a real Dr Pepper by any chance?

You mean my Auto Mechanic/Whipmaster Bobby Earle Pepper?? A state certified Dr. in Cat Dentistry?

Gawwd yes...he tastes like bacon and smokes....and then I flip him over ans do the other side ;) LOL

But serious HELLS YEAH Old School Dr Pepper rules! Oh how I miss it...it's as rare as H-Blood and Krespie Kreame donuts here in Chetland!

ForeverRhonda said...

I haven't seen the movie yet either. I love soda made with real cane sugar. It's why Jones soda is my favorite. Have you ever been to Pops in Arcadia Oklahoma? They have like ridiculous amounts of soda there...over 500 types or something insane!

The Boob Nazi said...

I'm going to have a diet dr. pepper for breakfast tomorrow, and I'm so excited about it. It's all I can think of.

Jennifer said...

This was my first Texas adventure! I LOVE Dr. Pepper, and I LOVED going to Dr. Pepper Texas!

We found cases of real (Dublin) Dr. Pepper at Tom Thumb. I sent my husband out to get the last few things I needed for dinner, and he walked in with a case of REAL Dr. Pepper!

Never mind he forgot the bread - who cared? We had DUBLIN Dr. Pepper!

Alex said...

So you guys have 2 kinds of Dr Pepper? We haven't had it in Australia now for a few years. I liked it, but it didn't really sell. :0(

Emily said...

Have you been to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco? I grew up there and loved going to the museum as a kid. I would like to go back again to refresh my memory. :)

I have several bottles of Baylor Dr Pepper. Bottles of Dr Pepper with thee Baylor Bear on them.

When I was a kid, the Baylor Bear would come to our school and drink Dr Pepper. Yes, a real bear that loved Dr Pepper! I always thought that was really cool!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin