Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Merry Little Christmas





I can barely believe it--Christmas is right around the corner. I'm excited. I'm nervous. Mostly, I am contented. Contented for the first time in years around the holiday season.

You've heard of those that have a difficult time once Thanksgiving rolls around and who feel depressed until New Years. I am one of those people. Feeling that way began for me in my teen years when my mother and stepfather divorced and continued, even worsening, as I found myself living with other families until I went to college.

As a wife and then quickly a mom, I've tried to overcome my "holiday depression" by attempting to make the holidays grander and bigger than life. I'd cook a Thanksgiving meal for fifteen when there was only two adults. I'd load the Christmas tree with presents for fifty when there were only three kids, thinking that by doing so it would make me feel happier.

In fact, I'd even beg my husband to deck our gutters and trees and chimney with lights. Wait. I still beg him to deck the house with lights.



That's when I discovered this year that I don't have to go all out to make myself feel better. I don't have to spend a fortune to make myself or my family happy. No, there's nothing wrong with making everything merry and bright--however that is not the only thing that makes the season the season. What makes the season merry and bright is my attitude towards it: I can be miserable and angry and depressed over my past or I can live in the present and make the most of it now. I am what I make of myself.

So my husband and I decided to purchase or make each of our three children one special present and give them a few smaller less expensive presents to fill their stockings.

*My oldest is getting a new bicycle from Walmart.
*My middle child is getting a Craigslist violin.
*My youngest is getting a wooden block set we made for him. Really, he deserves coal. Especially after he ding-dong-ditched the violin lady's door.

We're filling their stockings with toys and books from the Dollar Store.

Because you know what? Christmas isn't about how many toys and gadgets we receive. Christmas isn't about who can outdo who. The season isn't about how much you can eat. Well, maybe a little about how much you can eat. The season is magical because we make it magical.

The best part: My kids ain't gonna break their presents in ten minutes this year. Well, maybe the Dollar Store presents, but I think I can deal with that.

PS: Santa comes to our neighborhood on the back of firetruck. How does he get to yours? Please don't tell me he still uses those lame reindeer.



PPS: I totally have a crush on this dude:

8 Comments:

Gloria said...

You are a very smart mom to think this way! I too have a difficult time, this time of year, so Thinking what the holiday is about, is most importantto me. I too, went light on gifts! Merry Christmas from one "abused kid" to another! Love Ya Girl!

Jennifer said...

I love these posts. Christmas makes me so happy. :) There is a tree quite similar to that in the town square. Ahhhhh!!!!! Christmas is so close!!! <3

ForeverRhonda said...

Thank you for this blog on this day. I have been running around worrying that Christmas won't be "bright" or "shiny" enough for my son...but really this Christmas everyone is healthy and happy and we're all together. So I sincerely thank you because I too have been trying to buy Christmas and that is NOT what it is about.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I'm glad you're finding peace Allie. :)

Vanessa said...

Thank you for this awesome post, Allie. I have been grumbling about our family's "home-made gift" policy this year, and you just enlarged my grinch heart. You are amazing and I'm so glad I know you. Merry Christmas!!

Mr Spooky said...

Wow....... I love what you have written! You speak from the heart and with wisdom beyond your years.

Have a truly great Christmas!!!

Candance said...

I love this post!! I gave me little chills.

You weren't by any chance at Target in HV on Christmas Eve behind a woman whose adorable little boy asked if I knew how to play Deadman's Bluff and you laughed when I looked at you for help because I didn't? I saw this woman twice and actually almost said, "Allie?" and then if it wasn't you, I was going to run away. I swear, though, she looks just like the pics on your site and I was freaking. And if it was you, don't laugh at me when I don't know stuff ;0).

The pic of the tree at HV. That place is my mecca.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Candance, I wish we were the ones at Target argh because it would have been so cool to catch with you! Alas I was in my house not daring to go out. Also, it could have been my twin cousin...I have a cousin that looks EXACTLY like me named Avery that I have never met and lives in the area.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin