Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I am Thankful



Last week my neighbor moved away and in the process she gave my husband and I several boxes of household decorations, tools, bedding, clothes, and cleaning products. Of course, being the cheapwad that I am gladly accepted all the freebies and immediately put them to use/stuffed them in our already overstuffed garage. So, my husband went to work cleaning out the garage, taping and mudding the sheetrock, painting the walls, and adding more shelves. What can I say? My husband is a perfectionist--he figures he might as well do it right the first time so he doesn't have to redo it later. Or hear me nag.

Oh, and he found that dead rat we've been looking for since last year so I can't give him too much of a hard time.

I am thankful.

A couple days after my neighbor moved out and the day before my oldest son's birthday, my friend asked me if I'd like to have a few bags of clothes and toys for my kids that she no longer needed. Heck why not! My kids' reactions to the toys: "Mom, is this my birthday present?" My response: "Sure, why not? Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!"

And I just realized I didn't even buy my kid a birthday present this year. Awesome.(But I baked him cupcakes.)

I am thankful.




Then Saturday morning as I lifted my garage door to take the trash out I noticed a used, old black bucket on my driveway. I walked over to it, looked inside, and discovered a pair of brand new sneakers. A pair of striped, plaid, argyle diamond, and quilted sneakers covered in buttons. A pair of sneakers that was obviously having an identity crisis. In my shoe size. 

Some secret someone knows me all too well. And I've worn the shoes everyday since I found them. They are comfortable thank you.

I am thankful.



Monday, I opened my mailbox to yet another gift: A surprise package from Nat the Fat Rat.

I carefully opened the stuffed manila envelope. Inside was something yellow wrapped in tissue paper. Could it be a rubber chicken? A whoopee-cushion?



No. Better...lacy betterness.



 Closer...



The best present ever!



Yellow rubber gloves adorned in lace--perfect for picking up doody. Because we all know I have a problem with crap around here.



PS: Check out Nat the Fat Rat's Etsy Shop here.

PPS: I am thankful for all my surprise gifts this week. This is my Thanksgiving post, because I am pretty much going to need a break for a couple days with the holiday madness quickly approaching. After all, FortWorthCajun reminded me to not forget about the five platefuls of family drama. Don't tell me you have no idea what that is.

PPPS: I could still use some dining room chairs. I'm such a cheapwad I haven't had the cents to buy any for two years. The driveway is apparently a good place to drop them off.

PPPPS: As for the giving part, we're donating the stuff we found in the garage that we no longer want. Mostly because I told my husband we couldn't keep it if we weren't going to use it. He agreed. Oh, and the nagging helped. Sort of.

I am thankful.

11 Comments:

the nightingale said...

That was sweet of your neighbors to do. I get things like that from time to time and really do appreciate it. I'm thankful too. Sometimes I think too much about the imperfect appearance of the "apple" instead of appreciating how yummy it still is. :)

Mr Spooky said...

I have a dinning table and chairs in great condition that I'm want to get rid of? If you're in the area drop by lol

NatTheFatRat said...

Yesssss! That is exactly what I had in mind for those :).

Hearts and kisses and rainbows and stuff.
Natoosky

Screwed Up Texan said...

Nat! Yeah! I've even got the kids using them...thnx so much for them! Besitos to you!

Mr Spooky, Argh! Next time I'm in Australia I'll be sure to stop by. I'm using the pool too.

the nightingale, So true indeed. Sure thing is cleaning out that garage sure has made me realize how much I have to be grateful for...

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Happy Thanksgiving Allie! Enjoy your blessings.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Those are some way cute shoes. ha!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

Plain and simple...the shoes rock my world. Congrats.
And, Happy Thanksgiving to you!!
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Isle Dance said...

I need, want and love those shoes!

NitWit1 said...

I'm wowed by the sneakers--how lovely someone remembered you anonymously.

Our city has two city cleanups a year where we can put just about anything curbside for pickup.

I've put old computer case, old non-working vacuums, ricky tables, all sorts of stuff. People in pickups come by before the trash contractor and plunder through everyone's "goodies" through the point there is not much for the contractor to pickup

Anonymous said...

Dear Author www.screweduptexan.com !
Well, well, it is not necessary so to speak.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin