Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Break Down



I remember as a child looking forward to Halloween each October. Trick-or-Treating was a highlight of my childhood. I always looked forward to dressing up and playing games. My great-grandmother bought me the first costume I remember--Casper the Friendly Ghost. Basically since then it has been my desire each year to dress up on this holiday, and especially now since I have my own children.

When my children were very young, I'd go through the expense of purchasing each of my children a costume. First it was a giraffe, then a dragon, and lastly a mummy. As a result of the economy, this year we forgoed purchasing costumes and instead decided to use our imaginations and create costumes from items we already had on hand in an effort to save money (well except for my vamp teeth) and spark the children's creativity.

My oldest has begged me all month to let him be a skeleton and I almost had to tell him to think of another costume idea when I came across a skeleton ninja outfit in my garage. I have no idea where it came from because I certainly didn't buy it, but I had one content child and that is all that mattered.



After that near fiasco, The Hubs and I decided we were making up the other two kid's minds for them. My middle child then became a pirate. I think this costume was the most creative of the three. We used one of my ruffled shirts, a church vest and slacks, one of my rings for an earring, we made a sword out of cardboard and foil, used my stand mixer's dough hook as a pirate hook, and finished off the look with some random rings for added bling. I later painted a patch over his right eye.

Argh matey!



I really, really, really wanted to dress up my youngest as Falcon the balloon boy, but since The Hubs mentioned it may be slightly inappropriate albeit funny, we also concluded it would take a lot of tin foil to complete the look. So, instead we grabbed  my husband's cowboy hat and a my son's red dress shirt and called it a day. I don't think he cared since he was just in it for the candy.



Me? Well I went as a vampire of course. In fact, I dressed up for Halloween a day in advance since I had to fork out $10 a tooth for my vampire teeth. On a side note, I also wore my vampire teeth to church yesterday.

Gotta get as much use out of these vampire teeth as possible!



(Which is part of the reason why when the missionaries showed up at my door last Friday for a drink of water after knocking on doors all afternoon that I made good use out of my new teeth and the missionaries as MissionScary props.)



The Hubs made himself into a zombie. We even glued staples into his cheek for extra scary points. If the world ever does come down with some kind of zombie virus, I'm betting my husband can fake out even the living dead. He's got the look down good:



The Hubs and The Kids:



Me and The Kids:



So, what did you do for Halloween? Or if you don't do Halloween, what would you have dressed up as?

PS: You can check out more Screwed Up Texan photographs on Flickr.

8 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I love homemade costumes. Really, they only wear them for a couple of hours. In the dark. So cheap is good and your kiddos looked adorable.

jmberrygirl said...

Love the pirate. I was a kitten. Jogging suit, ears on a headband, not much to it, but lots of fun!

Marylin said...

The missionary on the Left looks very familiar, is he from Vegas by chance? Small world if that is who I think it is! :) So glad you guys had a great Halloween!!

Trac~ said...

Love ALL of the costumes - what a great job! :o) My son dressed up as some sort of a "massacre" and my daughter dressed up as Mrs. Santa Clause - lol (they are both 15).

Tocs said...

We had homemade costumes every year. My two favorite were the year I went as a pirate and as Zorro.

Darned near put the eye out on the vampire that tried to drag me back into the haunted house with that Zorro sword. Good times.

Library girl said...

We don't do Halloween in Australia but if we did - oh, Pirate. No question. It's not just the ruffled shirt, vest and high heeled black boots. It's not even the plastic blunderbuss gun and sword and eye patch. It's the excuse to say "Arrggghh matey" at the start of every sentence.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Marilyn, I am not sure where he is from, but I will ask and get back with ya.

Library Girl, I think you should say Argh Matey just because!

NitWit1 said...

I don't do Halloween but my Best Friend swears it is her favorite "holiday" and has a witch costume and make up that is pretty scary.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin