Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Quick Fried Pies (Turnovers)



These easy to make "pies" are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Technically a turnover, only 2 ingredients are needed to make the shell and then they are filled with a spoonful of your favoring filling or jelly.

Quick Fried Pies

2 cups Bisquick or other biscuit mix (I make my own)
1/2 cup of milk
1/3 cup of your choice of filling such as pie filling, jelly, pudding, et cetera.
powdered sugar, if desired

In a medium mixing bowl, mix by hand using a spoon the Bisquick and milk. Turn onto floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and ingredients are completely mixed together. Divide dough into 8 even sections.



Using the palm of your hand, flatten a section of dough onto lightly floured surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough as you would for pie into a 5 inch circle.



Place a tablespoon or so of filling in the middle of the flattened circle. Fold in half.



With a dinner fork, press the side of the dough together. Turn the pie over and repeat.



Carefully place "pie" into an electric skillet filled with 1/2 inch to one inch of cooking oil or melted fat that has been heated to 200 F. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until sides are golden brown. After fried pies have been removed from fat, place on paper towels to absorb excess fat.



Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Makes eight fried pies (turnovers).


5 Comments:

scrappin'soccermama said...

Looks easy and yummy (my recipe criteria). Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.

Kristi said...

Yummo! I might try to get past my fear of frying with oil and give these a try. I've had way too many bad experiences with spattering oil.

Raine said...

Yum! Looks hard to screw up!

Karen said...

Oh....those look divine!! I will have to try those soon. Hey will share you mix recipe with me. My other half is allergic to soy and it is in everything that is pre-made. Ya....it's great fun to make everything from scratch with all the spare time I have. (I suppose I would have more if I didn't spend so much time blogging, but I'm not giving that up a again.)

Indy Cookie said...

My mom used to make these with apples she had fried inside! Yumminess!!
I recently gave you and your blog an award on my Kathy's Kandids site. Info is at the following:
http://kathyskandids.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-award.html#comments

Blog Widget by LinkWithin