Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Autumn Conundrum



I don't know which makes me more happy, pumpkin pie or home cooked chili. 'Tis seriously a conundrum I have to deal with during autumntime. One more bowl of chili or one more slice of pie? Should I worry about the calories in the pie or the calories in the chili? Will pumpkin pie really work as an aphrodisiac or should I make my husband suffer under the covers with buttercups?

Serious questions I must deal with.




My church's Chili Cook-Off was last Saturday. This is our annual event where members compete in a contest to determine who has the best chili recipe and come for free food--cause you know it's always about the free food. Chili Cook-Offs are a church social event that I do not try to squirm my way out of attending. This year I even brought along my home baked creation of chocolate cake with wild berry filling.



In fact, if it weren't for Chili Cook-Offs, I may have never gone back to church. Okay, maybe a slight over exaggeration, but come on...it's hard to pass up the simple concoction of tomatoes, beef, onions, peppers, spices, and beans slow-cooked to perfection.





I'm tellin' ya, many left that night with a warmth they've never experienced and not from any spiritual connection--after all, beans are the magical fruit if you catch my drift.

Orange you glad I didn't make any bean jokes?

I should have known I had enough magical beans chili when the following joke popped in my mind:

Q: What do Mormon missionaries dress up as for Halloween?



A: MissionSCARIES!

You know you just wanted to slap me laughed.

Some things I've learned from last week's Annual Chili Cook-Off to remember for next year:

1.) Steal entrant #9's chili recipe.



2.) Make sure my kids know how to feed themselves.



3.) Take many more goofy photographs of my kids posing.



4.) Eat more candy corn before the little girl next to me gets to them all.



5.) Learn how to change my camera settings covertly so I don't startle the bishop's wife with a camera in her face.



6.) Learn better jokes. Ah heck, I liked the MissionScary joke, didn't you?




Don't answer that.

12 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Allie - that cake is gorgeous!! I love a good bowl of chili. Have you tried white chili? I have a recipe on my blog.

Thanks for your comment this morning - I think I'm going to live. ;)

Paulina said...

what fun!!!!! I love church food gatherings!!!

Mindee, white chili is good, but pumpkin chili is better ;) haha

Allie, pumpkin chili also solves your dilemma of having to choose between pumpkin pie and chili! haha. I've even heard of pumpkin chili served with a side of pumpkin cornbread.....too much?? I think not :)

DangGina said...

Oh my heck, chili cook-offs are the best! (Even if my chili doesn't win.)

I'm in awe of your conundrum, because pumpkin pie grosses me out; not that I'm judging you or anyone else who likes it; you guys (pumpkin pie lovers) are everywhere. I just don't get it is all...Disliking said dessert aside, I LOVE SALTY FOODS. So I'd go back for more chili over (just about) any dessert, any day.

Oh yeah, and candy corns are good...until I eat more than my limit (5)...then my mouth feels waxy, and my insides start to ache...THAT'S the conundrum. Why does it take so few candy corns to make this ginabean ill?

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, I am going to have to try your recipe for white chili (I've got lots of peppers from my garden)

Paulia, Pumpkin Chili eh? I think my life may be complete.

Screwed Up Texan said...

DangGina, Salty Foods FTW! Interesting conundrum.

Julie K. said...

I have a solution! Starting in November you can claim "It's the holidays" and have both. Only a few more days...

DangGina said...

Yeah. I'm a weird girl, I know. Except for a special week each month, I'd take salty over chocolate. I just can't help it...

Trac~ said...

LOL - today is a great day for chili around here - I just happen to have made some on Sunday in my crockpot and that's what we are having for dinner tonight - YUM! :o) Love the pictures (and the joke) - HA!

Candance said...

My mom went to crazy church when I was a kid but one thing you could count one, other than someone getting filled with the holy spirit causing you to miss all the strawberry shortcake a Wyatt's, was awesome food at the potlucks. There was always homemade mac and cheese which was a huge treat cause for us that was usually just funeral food.

I'd stab my kid in the hand for the last piece of pumpkin pie. Even the little one.

the nightingale said...

The cake looks yummy-licious. Chili is pretty good on occasion. Where's our recipe, though??? hint, hint... :)

NitWit1 said...

Glad I do not have to choose between chili and pumpkin pie, then there sure was a good looking cake! Actually joke was funny, but some churchy types have little humor.

Isle Dance said...

Pumpkin' pie, for sure...oh my! And what a beautiful gathering to enjoy. :o)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin