Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 12, 2009

TIME'S UP!!! Giving Back from Red Star



Every action has a reaction and it's those little actions that count the most like opening the door for a stranger and receiving a smile of gratitude in return. Sometimes the reactions are predictable, such as what results from performing a simple act of kindness. Other times, the reaction is unexpected like getting followed for thirty miles by an "over-friendly" trucker just because you waved at him for allowing you to pass him and he took it as a sign you wanted to play around.

Yep. It happens. That's when you snap a photo of his license plate in case no one ever sees you alive again.

Just call me paranoid.

Which is why I have enjoyed baking with Red Star yeast products for over ten years, because I know the results will always be the same. About a month ago, I was given a few Red Star yeast products to try at home. Needless to say, I didn't have to try the Red Star yeast since it's the only yeast I have ever been happy with. I buy Red Star yeast in bulk. There was no need to convince me--I had reached that conclusion years ago.

Like any good company, Red Star has decided to give back to their customers for purchasing Red Star products. It's called Carol's Club and basically what that means is when you purchase Red Star products, each red star saved (which is found on Red Star products) will earn you points towards FREE products in Carol's Club (pdf file)! This is a free program (plus shipping and handling) just for buying Red Star products! I was given a sampling of these products free of charge to try out myself: loaf pans, Danish dough whisks, oven thermometers, adjustable measuring spoons, dough scrapers, an apron, silicone spatulas and a purse-load of yeast pouches and recipes.

However, since I don't need any more loaf pans, yeast, oven thermometers, and other goodies (okay, so I am keeping the apron they sent me), then I thought I'd give them away here on my blog just in time for the holidays!




Here's the Important Stuff:

There will be FIVE (5) recipients of Red Star products which will consist of TWO (2) GRAND PRIZE winners and THREE (3) Regular Prize winners. The Grand Prize winners will receive EACH: one loaf pan, one silicone spatula, one Danish dough whisk, one oven thermometer, one dough scraper, one adjustable spoon, two booklets of recipes and six pouches of yeast (3 regular rise and 3 quick rise). The Regular Prize winners will receive EACH: six pouches of yeast (3 regular rise and 3 quick rise) and two booklets of recipes. The booklets of recipes also have a coupon.

Here's How to Enter:

1.) Leave a comment on THIS POST telling me what your favorite holiday baked food is such as Glazed Pecan Rolls, Homemade Bread, Sweet Dinner Rolls, or even Mom's Apple Pie AND whether or not you bake with yeast. The holiday baked food item need not be yeast based. I want everyone to have an equal chance of winning these great products.

That's It! No extra entries this time!

Be sure to visit the Red Star website for lessons on successful yeast baking, educational resources about yeast, and videos on yeast baking.

**One entry per person please. Give away ends Friday, October 16th 2009 at 9 PM and will be announced sometime Saturday the next day and chosen by random.org. Good Luck! TIME'S UP! WINNERS TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY!


23 Comments:

EXAMPLE said...

My favorite baked good is homemade cinnamon rolls and I do use yeast.

Queen of Quite A Lot said...

i wish i could correctly make baked goods with yeast. i don't know if i rush the rising or what but if i COULD figure it all out, i'd love to make sister schubert rolls instead of buying them. second thought - that could be really dangerous. kinda like those cafeteria rolls from school!

Mindee said...

We make a lot of homemade pizza dough here so yeast is a staple.

I like baking tons of cookies to make plates to take to the neighbors.

mtpeke said...

I rarely use yeast unless I am baking loaf bread. I want to learn to make cinnamon pecan rolls for hubby this winter.

Sharon said...

I have 2 favorites. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Swedish Tea Rings. think cinnimon buns connectind in a ring of spicey sugary goodness. (They do contain yeast)

My second favorite are sugar cookies. Not because they are fancy or anything, but because I bake them with my 3 boys (7,10,16) that love to help make them for friends, teachers etc.

OuR LiTtLe FaM said...

I love baking cinnamon rolls and pumpkin spice cookies for the holidays or whole wheat dinner rolls (all the time!)... I HAVE to win this! I love their yeast... and I couldn't find it at Costco last week when I went! They said they didn't carry that brand at that particular store in Plano, TX! I always bought it at my Las Vegas Costco! Please Help!! :)

Melissa said...

My favorite holiday baked food is cut-out cookies (in part because they are fun to make with DD).

No yeast needed with those!

Indy Cookie said...

I do use yeast on occasion; however, there is no Red Star brand where I live. My luck, I'll win and fall in love with it and then have to jump through a gazillion hoops to get my hands on some - lol.

Laura said...

My fav. holiday baked good is pumpkin muffins with pecan streusel topping. I could eat them year round!I do bake with yeast often, red star to be exact :)

RobinAN said...

Pumpkin pie is my fav. for the holidays but I also love fresh rolls & beer & cheese bread.

Tocs said...

Having married into a family who believes white bread is 'spicy' and 'flavor' consists of extra salt, I typically enjoy the holidays as it gives me a chance to go out on a culinary limb for my own enjoyment and not feel guilty that I'm going to have to eat all of what I make.

Three years ago, my mother-in-law, being the peacemaker in the family decided she'd make a pumpkin pie just for me (since pumpkin with seasoning is CRAZY!). In order to be accommodating, she found a rather docile little recipe and decided to make it 'low cal'.

I don't have any issues with 'low cal' as a whole, in fact my favorite mashed potatoes have no dairy, unfortunately, she decided to make this particular pie with Splenda.

I can tell you there is NOTHING remotely 'splendid' about Splenda. Doing some research, Splenda is in fact chlorinated sugar. In addition to that lovely thought, it also cannot withstand prolonged heat- specifically the heat of a pie in an oven.

From that day forward, I flinch every time I have the first bite of a pumpkin pie; unless it's my own.

Tufa Girl said...

I bake a lot of cookies during the holidays. I do use yeast for this rustic bread that is baked in a dutch oven (either in the oven or outside on the grill). Unfortunately, I do not see Red Star in my area either.

Sherry said...

I love to bake sweet potato pie for Christmas,but my favorite is homemade rolls with our thanksgivng dinner and I have to use yeast... lol.... Sherry

Tocs said...

Oh.. and I cook with Red Star. Seems more consistent than Fleischmanns.

Yeast tip: warm the container you're proofing the yeast in so it doesn't suck the heat out of the yeast. I use tap water (chlorine is bad for yeast but I'm lazy) and when it's a bit warm on my inside wrist I know it's just right for the little guys to start consuming sugar.

Maya said...

My favorite holiday baked food is actually baked after the traditional holidays pass for the Epiphany (6th January) and it is a Roscon de Reyes (Three Kings Cake)--I love hiding the foil wrapped king and baby in the filling. Depending on the recipe you use you can use yeast or not--I usually follow one that does use yeast.
It is kind of nice to have something to look forward to after ringing in the New Year.

Melessa said...

We always bake cookies that look like reindeer. It's not fancy, but the kids and I love it. While those don't require yeast, I do use it. More often now that I'm trying to use my Breadmaker enough to justify its cost.

Karen said...

Nothing says the holidays to me like Pecan Pie! I would like to live off of it alone, but.....that would be very bad....

I do bake with yeast, though I have had some difficulty getting the water the right temperature to proof it on occasion. Nothing like having guests over for dinner and ending up with hockey pucks instead of dinner rolls.

Kimberly said...

I love my homeade rolls. I DO use yeast.

Kari Anne said...

(Found your site through Daddy Scratches)

My favorite holiday baked goods are homemade yeast rolls!!

And yes, they are COMPLETELY from SCRATCH and HAVE YEAST in them!!

Linn said...

I would love to learn to use yeast.

Favorite holiday anything is mom's red velvet cake. MMMMMMMM!! Can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Emma's Mommy said...

The baked item that I enjoy the most with my family is my Mother's Breakfast Casserole on Christmas mornings. It's a special tradition of ours to wake up bright and early to the smell of the baking Breakfast Casserole. That's a memory that I'll never forget and will pass down to my own family.

Cali Ann said...

I have not worked with yeast before, I'm a little intimidated, I'll admit. My favorite holiday baking is pumpkin bread. I leave my kitchen window open when I bake to keep the kitchen from being unbearable, and my neighbors always pop over for a "visit" right as those pans come out of the over. Yummmm.

A Mac said...

My favorite is the dinner itself I could skip out on the sweet foods, The Ham, Potatoes, everything. I don't cook with yeast.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin