Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Entering a Whole 'Nother World



Remember how I said I bought a new camera since my kids destroyed my old one? Well, that lasted a grand total of eleven days. You see, I went back to the store and exchanged it. The Nikon CoolPix S220 wasnt a bad camera, it just didnt fit my needs--specifically I had no way to control apeture and no reliable way to control exposure.

So I exchanged the camera and entered the world of SLRs.

My oh my is the difference noticeable! In fact, the photo quality is so great that I am having to get used to seeing crystal clear images...more clearly than my own vision. Which in a way is sort of sad, because that means I am getting old.

The camera I chose: a Nikon D40. The salespeople at Best Buy told me the camera is being discontinued so I did get a good deal on it, but I'll be honest in that my stomach had nearly jumped in my throat by the time I arrived home. I hardly ever make large purchases like this, but thank goodness the Nikon D40 was on sale or I probably wouldn't have bought it.

So far I am impressed with the photographs the Nikon D40 takes. I have a long ways to go in learning how to take better photographs, but for now here are some of the results:




14 Comments:

Antique Mommy said...

You will lovelovelove your Nikon. So much that you will stop caring for your family or bathing regularly because all you will want to do is take pictures.

I have the CoolPix as well, but just for a purse camera when I can't carry my Nikon. Which I adore. Did I mention I love my Nikon?

LeAnn said...

Nice! and I am so jealous! I've been using a Kodak Easyshare for several years, while drooling over the Canon EOS Rebel. Maybe next year, after I find out whether or not I will still have a job... *sigh*

Erin said...

SO JEALOUS! Have fun playing with it!

Auntie Em said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Its so much fun to learn, I got a d-60 and hoo boy its amazing! but I recently got to play with a d-80 and now I have the I wants so bad! Let me know all the tricks and tips you pick up.
Looking forward to seeing all your wonderful adventures.

Deb Thaxton said...

-->I never spend money like that either but would LOVE to get a SLR camera as well. I do the best I can with my fancy point and shoot Canon.

~deb
http://www.websavymom.com

Screwed Up Texan said...

Antique Mommy, Yeah! I am so excited to learn how to use this camera. I've mostly used it on auto so far and the results are amazing compared to my other camera.

LeeAnn, Oh! Keeping my fingers crossed about the job for you...I know I'll be working extra just to make up for how much I paid for it.

Erin, I so want to take another road trip!

Auntie Em, Maybe you can teach me a trick or two? :)

Deb Thaxton, All of the photos on this blog are taken with a point and shoot (minus today's post), so I think that the right point and shoot can still be a great camera.

Kristi said...

I might be following in your footsteps in the next couple of months. My little point n shoot just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

Linn said...

As a fellow DSLR owner (we have Canons) I have to say you've made an excellent choice. I would recommend that at the first available chance, you buy a 50mm lens. It is our go to lens for taking portraits. My SIL has a Nikon so I can speak for both Canon & Nikon in telling you it's a great lens to have in your camera bag. I have to agree with mommy. You will find yourself trying to think of good places to go just to take pictures! This is what Mike and I do on our date nights. Sad right?!?

Mindee said...

I don't think it matters what you carry. You just have a good eye. :)

Peaches said...

The D40 is what I use and I love it.

jessicabold said...

That's what we have...it is an AWESOME camera.

http://www.booshy.wordpress.com

Karen said...

Wow....I am so jealous....I mean that is a fabulous camera and in your hands it will create beautiful work.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with your new camera.

Mr Spooky said...

Well Done!! What a nice camera!! I understand the price....
After my dog chewed mine. I was going to buy Nikon SLR. But I tell ya, it was like ringing a girl for the first time, picking the phone up, putting the phone down, dialing the number hanging up etc....
I went to the shop, went home, got my wallet out put it back....
The cost made me feel ill. I settled for a regular one and am still kicking myself......
Maybe I should secretly give this camera to the dog??? LOL!!!
My next camera will be an SLR. :o)

Jen said...

I am a Nikon gal!

Your going to LOVE it. :)

Great blog. I have visited Fort Worth several times, and I LOVE it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin