Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rockin' It at Western Days



Every year we've lived in our way too big small city, we have made certain that we've attended Western Days as a family. The first three years we attended this family friendly festival we mainly went for the parade where a herd of longhorns are led down Main Street and candy is thrown to much of the delight of my children.



This year, my oldest son and I were in the parade with my son's cub scout troop throwing candy. You know it was pretty cool walking in the parade behind a scout-powered rattlesnake. My son is the one in the first photo not looking.








There was lots to see, do, and eat at Western Days. Another one of our city's highlights is the World Tamale Eating Championship title which was claimed by a woman from out East this year. I'm tellin' ya, as a woman connoisseur of good food--I was proud of my fellow woman tamale eater.

Since there's lots of fun activities accompanied by a large beer garden at Western Days, it seems the City brings in almost all of our local police force to man the place. From my previous volunteering responsibilities, I know some of these officers, so it is always a delight to see them working in action. This dude here is a crack up--apparently I've made the Jinx Monkey popular after stealing him from the police station and holding him hostage for two weeks last year. Good times...



In the past after the parade we'd walk around for a little bit and then return home. However, for the last two years our city has brought in mainstream bands free to residents. Last year they brought in the Eli Young Band. This year...it was Los Lonely Boys.



Dangit, I didn't care that I had my three kids with me or that it was crowded--I was watching those self-described Texicans all the way to the end no matter what.



Even the kids got into the groove and rocked to Los Lonely Boys. They found a couple other people's urchins and a drunk lady and partied!





Hey, it was a great side show to the fabulous entertainment on stage.It was definitely a fun-filled day.

12 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

The picture of your child dancing with a drunken blond stranger is classic. You should have it framed!

Mary said...

What fun! You know, why is there ALWAYS at least one drunk lady dancing at these kinds of events??

Becky said...

That looks like so much fun. Love the kids having a ball dancing.

Karen said...

Loved the pictures. I love these type of days with my family. They are memories that last forever.

Trac~ said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Love the picture of your sons dancing with the drunk lady! LOL

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, I should post the video...it's even funnier! LOL

Mary, So True!

Becky, I just hope we didnt annoy too many people...oh well if we did, Ha!

Karen, Me too. I hope they remember them forever.

Trac~, Ah, I think I just may have to post the video. The drunk lady had no clue.

Texas Playwright Chick said...

That looks like SO MUCH fun! Only Texas can throw such faboo parties like Western DAys! Wish I were there!

KMDuff said...

I think my kids would love to be in a parade. Looks like fun!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Texas Playwright Chick, You would have loved it!

KMDuff, My oldest was upset at first b/c being in the parade meant that he didnt get to grab candy from the side, but after a few minutes of walking he decided being in the parade was cooler than sittin it out on the sidelines.

DangGina said...

I love that you referred to other people's children as "urchins." Ha! Makes me think of The Sound of Music.

Also, I LOVE me a good random drunk lady; you can get the best pics with them!

Candance said...

That drunk lady looks like she's having fun!

Screwed Up Texan said...

DangGina, Ah! I have got to post that video with her dancing. Thursday project perhaps?

Candance, She was having a ball! lol I've never seen a lady dance better with a beer in each hand and behind her no less.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin