Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Prickly Pear Jelly



First and foremost: I am in desperate need of a new camera.



Last night I had a fun group of ladies from my church over to learn how to make and can homemade jellies and jams. The main ingredient: Prickly Pears aka Tunas.

Yes, I totally forgot those things are also called tunas. I promise they don't smell anything like fish though. Thank goodness 'cause that would just be gross. Although I hear Bacon Jam is quite good (ew!).

Oh crud, I promise that I have a point here...redirecting.



I decided to give my lesson on home preparation of jellies a twist on the every day run of the mill class taught. I thought it would be fun to show these ladies how they can use wild fruits that they pick themselves to make great tasting jellies and jams for their families or to give away as gifts for Thanksgiving and Christmas. After all, it's not every day that you find a jar of mustang grape, hog plum, Texas persimmon, or prickly pear cactus jelly.



We had lots of fun...June Cleaver style. We even had the outdated kitchen to match.



Prickly Pear Jelly

1 cup prickly pear juice
3 cups sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 pouch (3 oz) of LIQUID pectin

Combine prickly pear juice, lemon juice and sugar in a medium size saucepan. Cook over medium high heart, stirring frequently. Once mixture begins to boil, start timer and boil for two minutes. All at once add liquid pectin. Allow mixture to come back to a boil and cook for two to three minutes more. The longer you cook, the firmer this jelly will be.

Remove mixture from heat and pour into sterilized 8 oz jelly jars. Fills four 8 oz jelly jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. See canning instructions here.

Note: Use only LIQUID pectin for this recipe or you will get unreliable results.

PS: Check out Screwed Up Texan Recipes for even more delicious recipes. There you can find a post on how to juice the prickly pears.



Can you tell I am also in desperate need of a new stove? This 1974 mustard yellow range has seen better days.

I'll also have a post up soon on how to can the prickly pear jelly. You might not want to listen to me though since I have been known to do cheap tricks like this:



But who needs a new stove or a canner when there's ice cream makers...time to eat a bowl of prickly pear ice cream. Don't ever leave me alone with one of these contraptions--an awesome gift from one of my readers. Thank you Sherrie!


12 Comments:

Kristi said...

I wish I could have been there for that class! Looks like you did an awesome job!

donna said...

Prickly pears! Where do you find prickly pears in Texas? I lived in Ft. Worth for 8 years...I miss Texas but NC is home! Stop by dobco.blogspot.com. I am having a give away next week!

Buck said...

I grew up in South Texas and remember when Mustang grape jelly was the ONLY kind we had in the house.
Great post!

PS: You and I have the same stove, only mine has pushbuttons for the burners.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Kristi, It was so much fun and easier than I thought! I wasnt nervous at all!

donna, We get our prickly pears just off the side of the road. To answer your question with a question, Where do prickly pears not grow in texas? lol.

Buck, Isnt mustang grape jelly the best kind?! Re the stove, one day one day...

Queen of Quite A Lot said...

ok, this soooo had me wanting a hot biscuit to go with that jelly. reminded me of all the mayhaw jelly i had growing up in southeast texas. don't think i've ever seen a prickly pear growing in that part of texas. are other juices interchangeable with this recipe?

Mindee said...

So when the world ends, you are going to be the last one standing, surrounded by jars of jelly made from wild fruit!

Jennifer said...

Mmm... That looks good and like a lot of fun!

So sorry I haven't commented you in awhile. I have just been so busy with school, I get on Blogger long enough to see if I have new comments and then I'm off again.

But I still look forward to the posts I can tune in for! :D

Screwed Up Texan said...

Queen of Quite A Lot, I only reccommend following tried recipes. Now I wanna go make some biscuits myself!

Mindee, That's right...there's a reason people call me sweet and it has nothing to do with my personality. lol

Jennifer, Thanks for stopping by! And the jelly was fun making!

LiLu said...

That sounds so good, and different!

ziptheusa said...

How did it taste? I've never had prickly pear jelly but it looks good. About the stove... I sense a product review in your future! :) Hey it could happen. Just call your kitchen retro. It's not about how it looks but how the food tastes right?

Lolly said...

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH! That looks delish!!

Homemade canning said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin