Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Meet Me at a TweetUp - I'm a Social Dork


Truth be told, I get really nervous in public situations. Put me in a crowd of people that I don't know and I start to panic. Probably has something to do with the years of elementary school that I was deathly shy which resulted in terrible teasing and no friends. Or maybe I had friends, but I just didn't notice cause I was curled up in a fetal position under my desk.

I think this phobia of strangers had something to do with my disdain for others internet friends. I use to laugh at my friends who formed relationships with what I called then "imaginary friends." I thought they were weird and silly. But like the saying goes, "Don't knock it til you try it." So I did.

It's called Twitter and TweetUps.


When I am not tweaking, writing for, moderating, and editing my blog here, you'll find me on Twitter being more peculiar than you've ever imagined me on this blog. I've admitted to not shaving my legs for two weeks, proclaimed my adoration to Piggly Wiggly the grocery store, and told Oprah she'd be crazy to pay for chefs to cook in my kitchen with my five different kinds of oil in more or less words. Of course, afterward I discovered that one of the cans of spray oil was actually bathroom foaming cleaner sitting next to the olive oil. Just my luck.

One of the extensions of Twitter are user planned social meetups called, har har TweetUps. Ask any of those in attendance to these social gatherings and you'll find out that I am a social dork. However, I have met several interesting and intelligent people at these events, the last TweetUp being sponsored by Best Buy of Flower Mound, such as @AndieSmith a portrait and commercial photographer. Let me tell you, my silly camera is no match for her professional one.


My camera can't even take decent night shots. Unless you call a blurry decent.


This is Donna with General Motors who I first met at a TweetUp. She was the person I approached to drive that Chevy Equinox. One of the things I respect General Motors for is their recent approach to social media.


@BrandenWilliams helps organize these TweetUps, and so far we've had three of them. Even Branden agrees my camera needs an instruction manual to operate it.


Speaking of social dorkishness, Check out my mad Wii bowling skillz at the last TweetUp. I was so funny for them to watch that after the game they made me Wii Box. I punched the crap out of that UniBomber-looking Wii contestant. Does anyone know what I am talking about?


I may be alone on this one.

9 Comments:

captbrando said...

I think Andie got some awesome video of your mad Wii bowling skillz. I sure hope she did, because the world needs to see the AllieThreatWiiBowl.

andie said...

you are too funny. I wouldn't ever say you are a social dork...me on the other hand..for sure! That is why I have a camera..it is like Linus' blanket. =)

I do have video....it is uploading right now!

Candance said...

Oh, Man, I totally missed the Tweetup and I'd even gotten a pass to get out jail for the evening for it. I miss all the fun stuff. If I'd put it in my calendar, none of this would've happened.

Looks like y'all had fun. I'm trying not to be jealous.

Expat From Hell said...

And in Flower Mound, no less? Sheesh, I live just around the corner (Coppell). Your posting was great, and I am sure your presence was appreciated. Keep up the great work.

EFH

Screwed Up Texan said...

CaptBrando and Andie, I just saw it! It was hilarious! Had a great time!

Candance, You have got to make it to the next one. Just watch out for my mad boxing skillz.

Screwed Up Texan said...

EFH, Most definitely make it next time!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Fun! Let me know the next time they have one:-)

Mindee said...

The thought of walking into that situation gives me hives. If I actually had to do it I would hyperventilate too.

You are brave!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Amy, Yes definitely! Just dont stand too close to me. I might accidentally hit you with the Wii controller.

Mindee, Ha! See my follow up post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin