Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I May Be Getting In Way Over My Head


My friend and I have gone in together on another friend's property to plan and grow a garden. We both like to dig our hands in the dirt and have varying levels of skill in regards to proper gardening techniques. Our mutual friend who is allowing us to use a thirty foot by fifty foot area of his land has a tropical plant business where he grows and sells plants to local Home Depots out of his large greenhouse so he has offered us some bits of advice on gardening which is very helpful. He's also allowing us to use his very 1970s gas tiller. Amazingly, I have convinced my husband to run it.


Gardening is a pastime I've always been interested in. When I was a little girl, my stepfather had a beautiful garden in our backyard in San Saba, Texas. There he taught me about beneficial and harmful insects, fertilization methods, and watering techniques. I think every home we lived in had some sort of garden or another. This leaves no wonder that I bought my first clay pots in college and grew corn on the balcony at my dorms. What should surprise you is that I named each of the stalks of corn. Most memorable names were: Corny and Kernel Sanders.

I now understand why none of the guys wanted to date me...Weirdo Alert!


Even my children want to help--for now anyway. I remember when I was a child how much I was interested in the garden, but also how much I didn't want to help take care of it. My husband, who grew up on his family's farm in Price, Utah, also doesn't have very fond memories of caring for the family garden. According to my husband, his mother was always bringing home new plants and expanding her plot of various vegetables and fruit trees. The worst part was that he never had friends over, because when they would visit his mother would make them all go into the acre potato patch and weed. 

When my husband's family moved near Astoria, Oregon gardening didn't get much better. In that part of Oregon it rains more often than not thereby making anything that requires water grow quickly. My mother-in-law planted blackberries and soon the blackberries took over the entire back portion of their yard. Mowing was endless and there never was a break in the weeding. It got to the point where my husband later in life would refuse to have a garden or at least help in it.

This is why I was astonished to hear my husband offer to till the land for our garden one day after getting off the phone with my friend. The Hubs certainly has more experience than I do, and I think he is helping because he knows I am getting in over my head. I have a inkling he is probably correct.


What I am looking forward to the most this coming spring is finally getting out into the garden and working in the soil. If I keep at it, I'll be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, but only if I don't see caterpillars 'cause whatever caterpillars are on the vegetables can stay put. I ain't touching them.


Oh yah, that's what children are for.

12 Comments:

f8hasit said...

We used to have a large garden when I was growing up. If my mother couldn't find me, she'd look out in the garden. Sometimes I was actually working in it, most times I was sitting there with the hose, washing off the veggies and then eating them right there.
:-)

Have fun!

Phoo-D said...

What fun! That is a rather big plot to garden but with two of you and kids it should be manageable. The joy of growing things definitely gets under your skin!

Mindee said...

my mom used to pay us a nickle for each tomato worm we squished. Blech.

I think you'll be great at this. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Candance said...

That sounds fun!! I had an awesome garden when I was pregnant with Grace. Then I had her and I had to either keep her or the fruits and veggies alive. It was a more difficult choice than one might think...just kidding.

Screwed Up Texan said...

f8hasit, Now that's some freshly picked produce!

Phoo-D, I really hope I can handle it!

Mindee, just a nickle? Why that is slave labor...and a great idea. I'm gonna do it.

Candance, what are you talking about, that's an easy choice...the veggies of course. Duh! lol

Lorilee said...

Good Luck and have fun! The soil looks pretty good!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Queen of Quite A Lot said...

Congratulations -- You've won an award. Scoot on over to "A Southern Belle Trying Not To Rust" to pick it up.

www.arustysouthernbelle.blogspot.com

Rhea said...

This post is hilarious. Children are very handy for dealing with bugs, and I can't believe you used to name corn. lol

I think it's awesome you're growing stuff! Chronicle it all on the blog, please, I love seeing things grow. You go girl! I'm jealous.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Lorilee, For such rich clay soils that we have, this peice of land does look good.

Queen of Quite A Lot, Thank you!

Rhea, I know, I am such a dork! I named cars too...

ForeverRhonda said...

You just reminded me of why I want to move out of the city/suburbs and into a place with at least a little more land than our lot! I sooo miss gardening!

blessedintexas said...

I bet your garden is going to be awesome! And what a fun activity to get the whole family involved in.

KMDuff said...

Ick bugs.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin