Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 10, 2009

WIRED! in Canton...Naturally


Usually it takes a couple glasses of a highly caffeinated energy drink to get me going in the morning. Some people think with envy that I am high on life twenty-four-seven when in reality I am just wired of caffeine. Okay, I am high on life too--but that orange stuff helps. A lot.

Two weeks ago, my friends over at WIRED! in Canton, Texas treated my husband and me to a morning of zip-lining which I have to admit I was afraid to attempt at first. If you don't know what zip-lining is, it is basically hanging from a harness on a wire cable and zipping from one tower to another. Being the pansy that I am I was terrified of having to climb 100 feet in the air and then flying several hundred feet in one direction.

However, the knowledgeable staff and guides at WIRED! made me feel safe and set my worries aside which helped me to have some of the greatest fun I have had for over a year!

The short class before our adventure began taught me proper use and handling of the zip-line. The guides made sure my husband and I were both comfortable steering, braking, and trustful of the harness and cables. Once we were at ease, the guides then led us up this tower where I basically made sure I was last in line so if the cable broke I wouldn't fall to a certain death.


Alas, the cable didn't snap and I gracefully zipped across it where my husband and I both prepared ourselves for the longest zip-line in Texas at 1000 feet.

I closed my eyes. For the first five seconds.



Then I opened my eyes and, feeling like I was completely in control, zipped along to the next tower. I felt like a champion.

As we made our way down to the last cable, I felt like I had empowered myself to a new level. I had reached new heights physically and mentally. I was high on self-esteem and life and WIRED! had helped me get there successfully...without the aid of caffeine.

WIRED! can be easily  found 1 mile south of I-20 in Canton, Texas directly across from First Monday Trade Days. For more information about zip-lining or to book your experience at WIRED! check them out on their website at www.ziptheusa.com.

16 Comments:

Foursons said...

That's only about 2 1/2 hours from me, maybe I'll plan a trip!

Linn said...

I would LOVE to do this. It looks like you enjoyed it!

Paulina said...

So cool!!!

Paulina

kristi said...

Hey, I am only 25 minutes away from Canton!

~Cheryl said...

I'm glad they give classes first instead of just pushing you off and away! Myself and I would have to have some very serious talks before I did that. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

It IS empowering isn't it?? You fly through the air, see how beautiful East Texas is and swing down feeling like you can do anything! Have been out to WIRED previously and cannot wait to go again!

Auntie Em said...

you are a much braver woman than i

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Augh! How come all the cool stuff is never HERE?

Raine said...

Thats soo awesome!! I really want to do it, they have them up in the mountains around here. Jolly Good!

Heather said...

this looks so much fun... your very lucky

Dane D. Miller said...

Glad to read a candid write-up that so clearly emphasizes why we have had the greatest pleasure working with the team at WIRED. When we first interviewed them regarding re-designing their website, the words that came up in virtually every sentence were "safety" and "service." Who wouldn't want to work with a firm who has those key traits at the heart of what they do? Glad to hear you had a blast! Azure Day at WIRED is coming!

Screwed Up Texan said...

FourSons, Definitely plan a trip out there! I can't wait to visit WIRED! again.

Linn and Paulina, It was fun and a half times ten.

Kristi, It is so beautiful out there. Definitely worth the trip.

~Cheryl, Oh believe me, I was talking with the two sides of myself--glad I listened to my much braver self.

Anon, It IS! Especially for since I am the kind of person that closes their eyes for entire roller coaster rides. I felt so empowered and sure of myself b/c for the first time I was able to enjoy this type of thrill with my eyes open (minus those five seconds).

Auntie Em, I was so surprised even with myself.

Mindee, The cool weather is where you are at. Ha!

Raine, Zipping in the mountains...that sounds like fun!

Heather, It felt great!

Dane, Y'all did a great job designing WIRED!'s website. Does Cindy have your Mr. WIRED! sash ready?

Candance said...

The first article I ever had published was about Canton. Actually, it was about a little company called Shirley's Potpourri. She had the nicest family.

Anywho, you're a bad ass cause I would've totally crapped myself. I know that's crude, but it's way true.

donna said...

If I was 10 years younger and 1200 miles closer, I would so be there!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Candance, if you did crap yourself, I am sure you wouldnt be the first.

Donna, You'd have so much fun!

the nightingale said...

That looks like so much fun! Glad you got to go! :) Thanks for sharing the fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin