Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Back to School


Look, I'll be honest with you--I am so anticipating Monday next week. I don't usually like Mondays, but the first day of school is the exception. Now I know that next June I will be eating my words and desperately awaiting the mornings I can sleep in past 6:30 am, but for now I just can't wait until my two oldest are in school and I can quit worrying when the next time will be that someone will pick up a hammer and bust holes in the sheetrock upstairs.

Oh wait. My youngest did that.

Yesterday afternoon was Meet the Teacher night at school. We didnt get much of "meeting the teacher," but we did get to introduce our middle child to the Kindergarten classroom. He is so excited about starting school! Last year, I actually lost him the first day of school, because he decided he was going to start Kindergarten a year early and hid in one of the classrooms. We fought the entire walk home that morning--he dragging his heels into the concrete and crying.


Our middle child's feelings about school haven't changed much this year. We showed him around the school and encouraged him to talk to some of the other children in his class. However the look on his face when I told him it was time to go home couldn't be beat:


In a desperate attempt to get some Back to School photographs of the children, I pleaded with him to smile and I'd make him cupcakes. He wasnt budging:


Finally exasperated, we had to drag him the two blocks home. I'm hoping this is an early sign he'll do well in school this year. Gotta look on the bright side, right?


The novel thing for me this school year is only having one child at home with me. I've never really got to experience having only one child to devote all my attention and care to as I was pregnant for nearly three years with children all about one year apart. I'm looking forward to grocery shopping during the week, walks with one child, snuggling on the couch without getting smothered in the process, and hopefully what will be smaller messes around the house.

Maybe I can even teach my youngest how to repair sheetrock. Our first trip--Home Depot.

13 Comments:

NitWit1 said...

How funny. I often wonder how my parents coped!

Gloria said...

I believe thast is a "boy" thing! The damage my boys did to our house when they were young! arggg!

Loco YaYa said...

i am looking forward to the first day also. my youngest is going to Pre-K. can i get an amen?!? woo hoo. ok i wont get that excited its only half a day. but i totally understand. happy monday!!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Yay for Monday!! Have fun with just one:-)

~Cheryl said...

What precious photos! They make me laugh; what characters you have!

Screwed Up Texan said...

NitWit1, And I don;t have an answer even for myself...

Gloria, Must be b/c even my dog doesnt make the size of messes my kids do, lol.

Loco Yaya, AMEN!

Amy, WHOOT! I can't wait!

`Cheryl, I so need to get them printed off.

DangGina said...

I love each of the pictures. So much. #2 sure can make himself understood through facial expressions, eh?! Cute kids!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Now that's something you don't see every day. I've chased kindergartners who were running away from school, but I've never had to drag one out!

Enjoy your quiet next week.

Screwed Up Texan said...

DangGina, You should see #3, lol! He makes me so mad sometimes, but then one cheesy smile and I have to laugh.

Mindee, And now my youngest is begging me to let him in school too. I think it is time to find playmates once a week or so for him. Now hopefully my middle kid will be well behaved when it is time to go home Monday.

Candance said...

The sheetrock thing made me laugh out loud.

Come Tuesday, I'll have no kids at home during the day. That pleases me verily.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Candance, "That pleases me verily." You preach it! (And I'll give it a profound AMEN.)

Rhea said...

Sheetrock, wow...and I'm looking forward to Monday too! Both my boys start new schools. I'm nervous!!

I can't believe I won the card contest! WOOHOO!! I'm SOOOO excited!!!

my email is rheabt@gmail.com now.

Lisa said...

I always pictured my mom having a party with the other moms on the street as they waved us off at the bus stop, on the first day of school each year.

I still think, to this day, I saw some of them High fiving each other as the bus pulled away.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin