Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

At Least the Nacho Cheese Dip was Good


So, I was trying to save money on my grocery bill and being the lazy person I am decided that coupon clipping was just not my thing. I mean, how many people actually understand how doubling and tripling and CVS shopping works 'cause I just don't get it. Anyway, spending at least $80 every week just on groceries just wasn't cutting it for me. Before the prices of everything went up I was paying half that.

What to do?

My friend  then told me about a great store in Grand Prairie called TopLine and how I could buy products at amazingly low prices. She had me at bag of chips for 25 cents. That's regular size bag of chips for 25 cents. You know I just had to go there.

So, I looked the store address up online, packed the family and neighbors into the van, and set off for the land of cheap grocery prices. The bad thing about Google Maps is that even with the satellite photographs I could never have imagined nor prepared myself for the neighborhood we were destined--perhaps the poorly designed website should have tipped me off. Even still, I got out of the vehicle and walked inside where I felt terribly out of place...and this coming from the girl who used to live comfortably in a neighborhood identical to this one.


1. First thing in my grocery buggie: Gourmet cookie mix from last year's Christmas season for just $1. Now look, I am no stranger to year or so old sweets. When I was a little girl, my parents would give out Christmas candy from the prior year to the Trick-or-Treaters each Halloween.

2. Next thing in my buggie: AMC Theatre nacho cheese dip for 50 cents (this especially brought back memories of my first job in Texas).

3. Third grocery item in my buggie: Arby's Marinara Sauce at just 5 for 25 cents. Of course, the hubs had to point it out to me later that I could have gotten those for FREE at Arby's anytime. Happy-Dance spoiler.

4. Fourth item in my shopping buggie: Cookie Dough Bites for 10 cents. Yes, the ones you pay $3 or $4 dollars for at the movie theater. I bought $200 worth for just $7. (Can anyone say PMS?)


5. Fifth item: Eight regular sized bags of blue tortilla chips for 25 cents each. What I didn't know was that every single one of these bags of chips were months pass their "best by" date and therefor tasted stale. That AMC Theatre nacho cheese dip sure made them bearable.

6. Sixth item: Four 48 inch florescent light bulbs that my husband haggled the price from $9 each to $1 each. When we got back home we realized we needed 36 inch bulbs and so the hubs stopped teasing me about the Arby's Marinara Sauce.


We bought several more items. One was either a Korean or Japanese berry that only Lily, our dog, would eat (she couldn't seem to get enough). The other items were a menagerie of grocery items from pancake mix to South American fruit purees. All in all, I don't think I'll be going there again. Especially after what Candance from Crazy Texas Mommy told me. She confirmed to me it was a mistake to go to TopLine when she asked me on Twitter:


"@screweduptexan You went to TopLine in G.P. on purpose? I mean, YAY on the $60, but as a native of G.P., God help you."

I'm getting ALL my second opinions from Candance in the future. Before I go shopping.

At least the nacho cheese dip was good.

14 Comments:

Chef E said...

I trade at Indian Stores here in Jersey, cheap produce, but on its way in to compost pile so you have to use up that day! But you never buy anything other than spices, or dosai batter, because the dates are so old, and the packaging is from the UK so who knows how long that stuff sat on the boat or in a warehouse before they got it, even the Indian families I work for will not buy the stuff...only the extremely poor families walk out with bags of stuff, and they also have four or five kids hanging on their coat tales, so I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I love the PMS and cookie dough humor here...and great piece!

f8hasit said...

That's hysterical!
We have gotten into the habit of shopping at Aldi's. You hvea to put a quarter into the slot to get your cart unchained (but you get it back when you return the cart) and you hvae to bring your own bags. You never know what you'll find there. Sometimes it's items that are made for other countries, so you recognize the label but it's in a language at least I don't understand!
If you can't find anything, it's good people watching fodder as well!
:-)

Glad the nacho cheese was good. Now you've got me craving some.

DangGina said...

Heh heh heh! What a bummer, really. So you "saved" some money, but really, you kinda threw it down the toilet. BUMMER! At least you've learned a valuable lesson, I suppose...

I hate learning those lessons.

At least the nacho cheese dip was good...

Oh, you make me smile.

Candance said...

I am wise, so you are smart to come to me for second opinions, especially when it involves travel to the lovely Grand Prairie ;0).

I saw the street sign there in the picture and I said to myself, "Look how lucky that Allie is. She took a picture. With her camera. And didn't get mugged."

Screwed Up Texan said...

Chef E, That place sounds scary. Almost as scary as this place.

f8hasit, You actually have to PAY for use of the buggie? Ha! Now that is hysterical!

DangGina, Gosh, I know, what a bummer! (and i think our neighbors will never go grocery shopping with us again)

Candance, I must say I DID think I was going to get mugged. This older man in a beat up Oldsmobile came thumping along and freaked out when I pointed the camera at him. I've never ran to my van so fast!

The Texas Treats Team said...

Wow, seems a little scary! But at least you have a story to tell and cookie dough bites to munch on!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Texas Treats, And I dont think they expire (or at least I hope not cause I am totally eating them).

NitWit1 said...

I did that once at some market in north Little Rock that wasn't in a safe neighborhood. NO MORE....

However I have resorted to some strange shopping, since WalMart had added 40-50 cents to more of its name brand products that compete with their Great Value (GV)junk. And further deleted many (not all) store facings of name brand products for which it has no GV match.

I ordered a case of Kashi TLC original 7 wheat crackers, 12boz/case from Amazon.com, free shipping and about 15 cents more/box than WM current price of its Kashi twin product. No state sales tax, either.

I also order a case (12) of Nabisco Wheat Thins FIBER SELECT Wheat whole grain, which was 27 cents/box more, but again no shipping, no sales tax.

On both of the above items I did not have to burn gas, variably $2.49-2.79/gal currently, round trip.

Wal-Mart will not force me to buy a product which i perceive inferior to the discontinued product.i.e. Wheat Thins Fiber Select has double the fiber content or regular Wheat Thins.

ForeverRhonda said...

I have heard of Aldi's (we have them up here in Oklahoma)...have never gone...heard it's cheap....I'm cheap myself...and craving some Nachos.....

Rhea said...

Those are some awesome deals! Wow!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Hey you got good deals and a great story. I'd say it was worth it.

the nightingale said...

Sorry for your ordeal. :) Funny post. We (usually) go to Sam's Club and buy in bulk to get quality groceries for a fair price. Smaller items(butter,spices,ready to eat items) we buy at the local grocery stores. Ya know? your husband sounds alot like mine. Must be a guy thing. ;)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, That's true!

the nightingale, I've found more men similar to my hubs than I ever thought I would.

Lisa said...

What a funny blog! I just read this post and laughed out loud so hard, because I can relate. We don't have that store here in Indiana, but I have gone to "dollar stores" and Flea Markets thinking the same thing...what a deal!! Until, I got home and saw the item was stale or old!!
Keep up th egood work!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin