Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Wishful Thoughts from a Heat Exhausted Texan



As I ran errands around town Monday--namely I got my hair cut and styled and I picked up my middle child's eyeglasses from the optometrist--I fancied about going on another vacation. Honestly, I think all this gosh-forsaken heat is getting the best of me and making me want to actually move back to Wyoming. Okay, maybe not Wyoming, but at least a nice, cool vacation spot such as the Colorado Rockies or the Northwest coast.

Just put a fork in me already. I am done.

All my daydreaming got me thinking about our vacation out west earlier this summer. It got me thinking of that Beaver Creek campground in Arizona where our tent got sprayed by a skunk in the middle of the night. Then how we actually got up early the next morning and hauled our butts back south to Montezuma's Castle just as they opened so we could see the cliff dwellings and the kids could chase lizards and annoy folks.


The cliff dwellings were fascinating!


We read each of the educational plaques that lines the pathway and we learned about the Sinagua Culture as it is known. I thanked God I have a Nutrimill and don't have to use this to grind my wheat or corn.


Wait a minute! Maybe I need to go back and see if they'll loan me one, because it seems my kids tried to grind a sheetrock screw a week ago in my Nutrimill and broke the darned thing. You should have seen me screaming and the sparks flying!

After we left Montezuma's Castle, we then drove north through Flagstaff (where we discovered our brakes were starting to grind) and then to Lees Ferry where we stopped and took lots of photographs.


Just so you know.


The boys...all four of them. It is a good thing I am not in this photograph, because I was all sweaty and greasy and stuff and that would have embarrassed you and me both. Just thank me later.


The last leg of our trip through northern Arizona took us through a National Forest where we stopped and rested and hiked through the forest with the kids. The cool air we felt was a welcome change from the heat of the last several days. I felt so appreciative for this spot that I even left the permanent port-o-potty with a roll of toilet paper--since they were out and all. Y'all can thank me later on that one too.


Finally, after driving what seemed like forever, we made it to Utah as we passed through the border town of Kanab. I wanted to go through Colorado City and Hildale and see how a Fundie settlement looks, but my husband said I wasn't allowed to go anyplace where my big mouth might cause me to get put into jail or worse shot. Oh well, it was probably better that way.

As we passed Kanab, we stopped at the roadside attraction, Moqui Cave. The cave itself was interesting, a former hideout and saloon turned modern artifact museum, but the best part for me were the souvenirs available to purchase. I know I am Mormon and I am not supposed to find it funny, but I can't help cracking up when I go to Utah and see copies of the Book of Mormon for sale as souvenirs. I really wonder if non-LDS tourists actually purchase them.


It must have been bad luck to laugh though as that night we were destined to sleep on a mystery mountain in the freezing wind and cold rain somewhere north of Panguitch. What can I say? I grew up in Texas and Utah is a whole 'nother culture to me. Y'all would probably think the same thing about Texas.

Please forgive me. I think the heat's got to me now.

14 Comments:

chicamom85 said...

Beautiful pictures and nice memories.

Anne

CambridgeLady said...

Great photos - that's a part of the world we are hoping to visit in 2010!

Michelle Johnson said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys got to go back and see Montezuma's Castle. Can't believe your tent was sprayed by a skunk. LOL~

It appears you all had a great time despite the heat. Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Well, I'm not Mormon but I think it makes sense that they sell the BOM in tourist shops. People who haven't thought much about Mormonism before probably get curious while exposed to it in Utah.

The picture of your boys is AMAZING!

NitWit1 said...

keep the ice water handy and maybe dump a bunch in the tub.

I can remember when I lived in Texas the cold tap water in the heat of summer wasn't even cool!

Screwed Up Texan said...

chicamom85, Can't wait til the next time we go!

CambridgeLady, You are gonna love it! That part of the country is so beautiful!

Michelle, It was so weird waking up at 2 am to the skunks fighting outside the tent. Lily (our dog) threw a fit for almost an hour over it. Good times.

Mindee, You're probably right. I never thought of it like that before. My husband doesnt think it is strange, but then again he also grew up there.

NitWit1, There is a joke about Texas heat that I remember goes something like this: You know you're in Texas when you turn on the faucet and hot water runs out of both taps.

The Other Woman said...

I'm currently in Utah, missing Texas. I know the culture thing all too well. For me, it's like flipping a coin between people and weather (depending on the time of year). Either way, I never thought I'd be back here in Utah. I'm not complaining... I'm just saying!

Margaret said...

You have a nice blog here, and you don't seem so very screwed up :) Thanks for visiting my blog.

Auntie Em said...

I am an Arizona girl through and through but I have lived in Utah for about 17 years now and the culture here still amazes me. I mean carrots in jello!!! Seriously! I love Kanab, its so quaint and the red rocks are beautiful, Panaguwitch (sp?) is serene, neither of these place however are ones you want to speed through due to the fact they are serious speed traps, my mom has never made it through there WITHOUT getting a ticket. Maybe you should try for Yellowstone next?

Screwed Up Texan said...

The Other Woman, If I could move anywhere in Utah, it'd probably be St George. Warm enough for me, but close enough to colder climates that I could get away if I needed to.

Margaret, It is definitely not a forgettable name for sure!

Auntie Em, Those speed traps are horrible arent they?! Funny thing is when we went through Kanab, there was a cop car parked on the side of the road coming into town and another parked on the side going out of town. It totally freaked me out. Then, after reading some random blog last week, I discovered that another blogger noticed the same thing and then noticed ONE MORE THING: There were DUMMIES sitting inside the cars. Not real cops! My husband says a lot of the small towns do that. I dont know if it is true, but I am slowing down at any rate.

AZ Mommy said...

It's supposed to be 116 in Phoenix, AZ this weekend! yuck yuck yuck. I'll be in the pool :0)

Phoo-D said...

Love the picture of your boys! How beautiful. I could use another vacation about now too!

Tazana said...

Thank you. I love reading your blog. Amazing pics.

Screwed Up Texan said...

AZMommy, 116?! Oh my! A few years ago my husband and I made it to Mesa when it was that hot and left my lipstick in the car. Never again as it was melted when I went to put it on. What a mess!

Phoo-D, We should go on vacation together. As long as you promise to cook.

Tazana, Thank YOU!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin