Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Savory Tomato Soup


It is midsummer here in Texas and the tomatoes are ripening faster than I can pick them. Currently, I have over thirty tomatoes in various stages of the ripening process sitting on my kitchen counter and taking up valuable working space. Where I live, and I am certain other tomato growers can relate, I have to contend with the mockingbirds and squirrels eating my tomatoes before I can get to them. The trick I have learned is to pick the tomato while it is green, but has barely started to show red on the bottoms--this prevents pesky creatures from destroying my tomatoes and making me cuss like a sailor. Then I place the tomatoes inside a paper bag, (three to four at a time) and place the bag in a dark, room-temperature area for three or four days. Soon enough, the tomatoes are fully ripened. I never place my tomatoes on a sunny windowsill.

So just what does one do with thirty-something-odd tomatoes besides make tomato juice and spaghetti sauce? Keep reading...

3 Comments:

Chef E said...

Man does this soup look good! Okay I am jealous of the blackberry field, and now that you have tomatoes to ripen...all I have is a dinky patio and farmers markets miles away...

CambridgeLady said...

We are growing tomatoes - and we always end up with way more than expected - so I am looking forward to trying out this recipe - sounds yummy. Happy 4th of July!

nancypants said...

We went to a Pancake breakfast at a church this morning to (our sister church in town.) Yum!

It's Stampede Week here which means there are pancake breakfasts all over the city all week long! I love free breaky!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin