Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Let the Good Times Roll


Thursday evening was one of the last blackberry picking days of the summer, and so we as a family went to our secret spot and picked them with the kids. Our children love helping us pick the berries. Usually they eat more than they pick, however to my surprise our youngest and oldest were actually pouring their bowls into the big pot of blackberries.


Our youngest is just the right size for picking the fat and juicy blackberries which are found down below the brambles near the ground. Thursday's trip to the secret spot to pick blackberries was actually my husband's idea this time. Of course he had ulterior motives to pick--we are running low on blackberries for his smoothies, shakes, and muffins. My man thinks with his stomach.


Now you know any of our outings never go off without a hitch. Whether it is Lily digging tortoises from under bushes, the kids turning the water fountain into a shower or our car getting four flat tires, we always have something to laugh about or shake our heads about afterward. Thursday it was my fault.


You see this lovely field of trees and grasses in complete serenity and quiet? Well I had to take a restroom break behind one of those trees and very quickly hid myself and took care of business. The problem was when I had to pull my shorts back up I was having a difficult time trying to maneuver things and get situated. In other words, my pants were easier pulling down than getting back up.That is when I looked up and noticed an old red farm truck heading right for me.

Needless to say I was mortified.

But I didn't let it show. I just buttoned my pants and walked back over to my husband who was oblivious to what had happened and continued picking blackberries with the family.

Good times.

Then I checked on my other summer wild fruit and discovered they're ready for the picking too:


Ripe, black mustang grapes.

12 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Ha! Your family just has a thing about showing their butts huh?

Can't wait to see what you do with the grapes!

Michelle Johnson said...

Good morning~ I love how you saved face when you were almost caught doing business in the bushes. Glad you were able to pick more blackberries even if it was with an ulterior motive behind it. I'm sure your husband will appreciate the smoothies, etc.

I hope you don't mind me commenting here on that french toast below. It looks really good. Will you be sharing the recipe here soon. Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Mindee, Lol! I didnt even think of it that way but it is totally true! I guess I was having a wardrobe malfunction...

Michelle, I do plan on sharing the recipe! I've got to get permission from the person who let me copy the recipe at her home, but I dont htink it is going to be a problem with her. Look for the recipe on my recipe site hopefully later this afternoon or early evening. If you are going grocery shopping I can tell you that you're going to need to purchase sliced almonds or chopped pecans and plain french bread.

Karen said...

I have a few stories about looking for a serene spot to....uh....relieve myself that turned into a whole different story.

The fruit looks amazing! YUM.

Foursons said...

Bahahahaha. Love that you went right back to picking berries!

the nightingale said...

My grandma used to can her own grapes somehow and made homemade grape juice. Reminds me of that. :)

Lee Beth said...

Blueberries are just amazing in cereal. Lol. Sorry, just had to say that. And I also just want to say its awesome you live in Texas. I took a vacation there last October and loved it. My boyfriend's uncle lives down there in Kileen and we went and stayed for a week and it was just so great. Nice to get away from ol' Pennsylvania. Just wanted to say I love your blog, too. Always well written and great pictures and never a dull moment. I also got to see Dallas, too. That was really great. Well just wanted to share that. Ok, well have a nice day.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Okay y'all. I cannot find this girl's number so I can have permission to post her recipe. So here is the deal: I am going to post the recipe with a couple tweaks, however I will not be able to get to it until tonight. So, it will be up late and you can get it then, or you can read it tomorrow to make for Sunday breakfast (refridgerate overnight). I will post it on my recipe site:

screweduptexanrecipes.blogspot.com

Chef E said...

Oh Allie, you must be thinking on the same lines as me, cause I want that exact location so I can enjoy the serene local one day...promise not to tell...those are mustang grapes, I was thinking Muscat grapes when we were talking that day...those are the good ones for making jelly...ummm, can taste it now!

Apple Sauce said...

I found mustang grapes in my neighborhood just a few days ago. I just wish there were blueberries too.

Lucky.

Screwed Up Texan said...

French Bread concoction of some sort is up on my recipe blog at http://screweduptexanrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/07/company-french-toast.html

Chef E, I have no idea what a muscat grape is. Gonna have to go look that one up.

hintonrae said...

LOL! You're so funny. Keeping it real, indeed.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin