Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Lessons in Spirituality...Sort of. Okay, Not Really.


This last week has been extremely hard for me as my husband has had to work a lot more overtime than what we are used to. To top the overtime off, he has been busy doing lawn care for folks in our community as well so I've only seen him for one or two hours each night before we've gone to bed. Add to that the daily frustrations of raising three uncivilized boys, and understandably yesterday I was about ready to pull my hair out at the fireworks show. Although I must say it was quite hilarious to me when my boys screamed once the fireworks starting shooting in the air. I couldn't help laugh.

VIP seating is the best.

Today was my third Sunday attending church after being inactive for over a year. Last week I felt awkward attending Sunday School because I didn't know anyone, and so after about twenty minutes of listening to the lesson being given I made an excuse to my husband that I had to go to the bathroom. So, I quietly left and sat in the foyer. Today however, I decided to go to Gospel Principles (a different Sunday School class) after much encouragement from another member. I actually enjoyed this class as it was much smaller and the teacher is an excellent promoter of thought.

Promoter of thought...wait, this might not be good. Afterall, I have issues with my thought filter.

So, the lesson in Gospel Principles was on fasting. I am not entirely sure if the lesson given had anything to do the fact that it was indeed today Fast Sunday, but I forgot to eat breakfast this morning so I hope that counted. Probably not, especially since I had brought along my caffeine drink and was sneaking sips out of it in between classes.

The Gospel Principles teacher then asks: "Who really does everything we own belong to? Our money, our tithes, our vehicles, our homes, the air we breathe?"

I muttered sarcastically under my breath: "The bank," except I must not have been quiet enough because the teacher who was in the front of the room heard me all the way from the back. Well, at least they thought it was funny, because they all laughed. I hope.

After church, a member of the bishopric who I think has taken us under his wing complimented that our children were so well behaved during Sacrament meeting (worship services). I told him thank you and that it was a nice break from nearly pulling my hair out yesterday. The children then were let out from Primary and one by one my children greeted me with their smiling faces and sweet personalities. Finally, we had accomplished a reverent, peaceful, and spiritually uplifting day at church. I smiled at my four-year-old's teacher and then turned towards the back door to leave when suddenly the teacher declared:

"Your youngest pulled down his pants today and mooned his entire class."

Well crap. Maybe next time.

And now the same kid wants to know if we can make a cigarette house. You know, like a pretzel house. No. We don't smoke.

16 Comments:

KMDuff said...

At least you can use the excuse he's 4. :) Cute story. Hope the teacher laughed about it to some degree too.

My 6.5 yr old announced to the entire primary that our refrigerator was broken and we were getting rid of our recording system (TV service). I was there to take in the embarrassment since I was the substitute chorister. It wasn't that bad. Eye rolls and not taking things too seriously help.

Michelle Johnson said...

I love your stories so much. I have to say your youngest has spunk.

Sounds like you have found a service you enjoy. It always helps when you can relate. Now that you've gone back to church three times I would say that you're getting into a good rhythm. Congrats.

Lastly, I hope things slow down for your husband soon. Have a great night.

DangGina said...

Just when you were feeling a bit more secure...heh heh, I'm still laughing at the mooning thing. Which is why, I'm sure, is part of the reason I don't have a husband and child at this point in my life...

At least your boys were smiling when you picked them up from Primary. :)

Candance said...

I would write something witty and charming, but I'm laughing so hard at both you and your son right now I can't come up with anything.

Bill said...

I was teaching a Preschool Class at Church about King David and his Son who betrayed him. After reading it I asked "what happened to David's son for betraying his Father?" he answered "He got kicked in the weener". It was very difficult to teach the remainder of the class while biting my tongue not to laugh. Remember Moms, little boys don't have to be taught this stuff, we come up with it on our own.

the nightingale said...

:D Well, I'm sorry about your morningtime moon episode, but am sooo happy to hear that stuff doesn't only happen to me. Glad you had a great time at church. I love learning about people I don't know, and your life seems just about as interesting as mine! Love it. :)

Foursons said...

Bahahahahaha! Nothing like finishing up a nice, reverent morning with the knowledge that your son mooned everyone. Gotta love those boys!

Auntie Em said...

Oh the joys of primary! lol. Mine heads to nursery in a month, I'm horrified.

Michele said...

I enjoy coming to your blog. :) I used to live in Texas and hope to move back there one day with my family. :) Anyway I have a question to ask you regarding your firework pix you have posted on here, what setting did you use exactly? I got some great ones lastnight but didn't really look anything like yours. Please email me whenever possible at babymeow24@aim.com. Many thanks!!

NitWit1 said...

Very funny story. We never had kids...and missed a ton of fun I see.

We have "adopted" favorites where we attend church. My husband treats our UPS driver's son (5) to candy and money for a missionary chest each Sunday. He sat in front of us Sunday.

He was wound up tight and causing his little girl friends to get in trouble. Even some of us behind him tried to calm him down. His Dad finally had to retrieve him before time for children's church.

Of course, we were laughing when we should not have been.

Inge' said...

I wish I could tell you tat your youngest will outgrow the whole mooning thing. But....my son was still mooning me in my driveway at the age of 16:) He finally quit when my neighbor across the street saw him one afternoon as she was sitting down to dinner.

We still laugh about it today. Hope your husband gets to spend some time with ya'll soon.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

We never get to old for the "I hafta go to the bathroom" excuse, do we?

LoveFeast Table said...

This post was great! Super spiritual...I am laughing out loud!

Applesauce said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with a 4 year old who has no sense of modesty. So far mine has limited his mooning victims to his brother and sister, but he thinks farting in public is hysterical. The louder the better. Gotta love boys...

The Other Woman said...

My personal favorite? My niece had a lesson in primary where each four year old had to say something that makes them feel loved or shows love. Each kid said something genuine and sweet. My niece jumps up, wiggles around and says, "I MAKE LOVE BY DANCING FOR PEOPLE!" My poor sister nearly died over this. Kids say the darndest things.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Hilarious! You always have some good stories:-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin