Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 13, 2009

It Was a Day for the Dogs


This weekend we went to the lake again. I don't remember this many hot days in Texas ever. I swear if we have one more week of 100 plus temperatures I am switching circuses. It is so hot and we have seen so little rain over the last month that our backyard has developed several cracks. The largest crack is wide enough I can fit my entire hand in it (I have big hands) and I still can't reach or see the bottom of it. It is just plain miserable.

The only solution to beating the summer heat for a gal like me is hitting the lake. We've found a nice small cove that is mostly rock surface and nearly clear water. It is perfect for the kids and me. I'll do anything to keep that spot including crashing someone else's party if they get there before I do.


I think someone else had the same idea.

The kids were splashing in the water near the shore and I had wondered out to a deeper area with Lily. Everything was quiet until suddenly Lily's ears perked up and her barking began. I look up towards the bank and suprisingly saw two big dogs heading my way--jumping into the water and swimming towards me and Lily faster than I could call my husband over.


Alas, it was too late.

Lily doggie-paddled as fast as she could towards the shore and hunkered with her daddy. She just couldn't handle the big dogs.


But the kids could handle it!


I think the FIVE big dogs were the most excitement they have had for at least a week now anyway.


I'm pretty sure those are IBC Rootbeers those folks are holding.

11 Comments:

NitWit1 said...

You are not alone; my other Texas bloggers cooking in the heat!

In Northern Arkansas today it is raining, both heavy and light. Temperature is 70 deg but humid.

Yesterday we had light a.m. showers followed by sunshine.

A lot of my family still live in Texas around Abilene and Ennis. All are tired of the heat.

Foursons said...

Oh yes, the heat is oppressive. I have started letting my kids stay up 'till 11 at night because at 8 pm we are venturing outside to play when the sun goes down. Craziness.

Applesauce said...

You are singing my song Allie. Our weatherman said something about 26 out of the last 30 days have been in the triple digits. Today is supposed to be another record breaker. Ugh. I have lived here for 22 years and I don't remember it EVER being this hot. And it isn't even August yet...

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Right now I feel sorry for you, but next February when I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over three solid weeks of below freezing temps I'm going to look back at this post with envy!

Screwed Up Texan said...

NItWit1, You are making me jealous. I wish it were raining here!

Foursons, Now that is an idea! Doesnt seem like the oppressive sun goes down until after 9 PM.

Applesauce, 26 out of 30. That is it. I am moving.

Mindee, Funny thing is that every winter I cant wait til summer. Now I am regretting it.

the nightingale said...

Looks like tons of fun! Great summer pics. Thanx for them! :)

Michelle Johnson said...

Looks like you've found a nice place to go swimming and cool down. You even made a few new friends while there too. Have a great night.

Girl With a Smile said...

This heat IS miserable! My 5-month old gets so hot in the car because the AC takes ten years to cool off! It's just.....miserable!

Screwed Up Texan said...

the nightingale, We had a blast!

Michelle, The kids loved those dogs. The dogs were definitely the highlight of the afternoon.

Girl with a Smile, I know how that is...our drivers side vent takes forever to push out cold air. I was just thinking the other day if I should try to bake a potato in there.

Karen said...

It has been a rather cool summer here. In fact I was wondering if it would ever get warm enough to pull out the wading pools. It finally has, but know where near the heat I was expecting.

Sending cool thoughts your way.

pk911 said...

Melting in Fla also.
In fla if I were to see a crack in
the ground I would go running and
yelling sink-hole,sink-hole. And if u were here u would think I was
screwed up in fla,thank goodness for lakes and beaches. (smile)
I LOVE YOUR WORK,SO HAPPY THAT
YOU ARE ON THE NOTE WORTHY LIST!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin