Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day Celebration


Our day started off this morning with me scurrying to get the boys ready and then hopping my car to drive the two blocks to church for a flag raising ceremony and pancake breakfast. About half-way to church, Lily jumps in my lap and I nearly crashed into another car I was so surprised. Apparently the kids had sneaked her into the van while I was loading their scooters into the back.  So, I dropped off the boys and had a friend watch them and then had to drive the dog back home.

I made it to the flag raising ceremony just in time.


I stood by the foyer doors with one door cracked to keep me cool while we said the Pledge of Allegiance and sang The Star Spangled Banner with our right hands covering our hearts. I felt so blessed to be an American and I felt such relief from the sweltering hot weather which had nearly climbed to 85 degrees Fahrenheit at 8:30 in the morning.

If you ever want to know what a woman going through menopause feels, just come to Texas in the summertime: inside you're having cold flashes and outside you're having hot flashes. I'm just sayin'.

After the flag raising ceremony we then went inside to the cultural hall and had our traditional pancake breakfast. There were chocolate chip pancakes and regular pancakes and tons of fresh, ice-cold watermelon.


My youngest wanted one of these and I told him he could have one, but by the time I remembered all the muffins were gone. I am such a bad mommy.


Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate. Ideally, I would love to spend a day at the lake with my husband and kids, but since my husband has to help out with the festivities in a neighboring town, I don't have much of a choice except go where I am the most comfortable taking all three kids. Glad we chose to go to the church as the kids had a fun time decorating their scooters and riding them in the parade the Primary put together. Besides, I had fun throwing water balloons at my kids. What more could I ask for?


After the water balloon fight, we then went inside for relay races. Somehow I ended up with the whiffleball and spoons. I guess they couldn't figure out who was supposed to have them, so they gave them to me.  You know, the inactive Mormon.


I really didn't know very many people there, but thankfully most of them knew my kids and kept them entertained. Then when I didn't think anyone was watching, I grabbed the kids and their scooters and left--it was time for the Flower Mound festivities, some lemonade, hotdogs, and a little fun in the park. I think it was also 100 degrees Fahrenheit and so we said hello to Daddy and left.

Tonight we plan on watching the fireworks--our favorite family tradition for Independence day.

Happy Independence Day!

9 Comments:

Jennifer said...

Glad you guys had fun!

NitWit1 said...

Ah memories of Independence Day in Texas!

In North Arkansas it is 75deg and light rain. We are having ribs, pork & beans and watermelon at a friend's house.

We supposed to have fireworks but rain will probably postpone or cancel.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

So you probably don't want to hear about our unseasonably cool 72 degrees huh?

Glad you found a way to celebrate. Those pancakes look yummy!

Michelle Johnson said...

Glad you didn't wreck this morning and ended up having a great day with your children. Nothing can ever replace those precious memories you've created today. It's been really cool here in Maysville today with some rain. I wish I weren't so tired so I could go see the fireworks in town tonight. They light up the sky just behind the old Maysville bridge. It's a beautiful site. Happy 4th.

Auntie Em said...

What a FUN day! How fun to have your dog surprise you ;-)

Chef E said...

Oh Allie your photos tell such a story, along with your narration! Love the dog sneaking in...sounds just like a boy thing to do...love the menopause analogy!

the nightingale said...

Looks like lots of fun! Glad you had a great day and shared it with us!

Mizz Smiles said...

That's sounded like fun.. And your kids are quick and funny.Bless them.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Jennifer, Me too!

NitWit1, My friend jokingly commented, "Too bad we didnt declare our independence in October." I think she was on to something.

Mindee, Hush now. You're making me jealous.

Michelle, Hope you had a wonderful holiday too!

Chef E, So I was right about the menopause analogy?

the nightingale, It was fun! Glad I was able to go with the kids.

Mizz Smiles, Bless their hearts...I am quick too! lol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin