Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Building Confidence--Or Not


The hubs took me on a shopping spree at Cavenders this last weekend. He's had a gift card for a month and finally after much prodding and pleading he took me there to spend to my little heart's delight.

What I really wanted was a cowgirl hat. I think I'd really look cute in a cowgirl hat, however the hubs thinks I'll look silly. He's probably right though since I have one of those heads that never look quite right in any type of hat. I swear there ain't a hat on this planet that fits my head correctly...except perhaps that 1920s hat thing I tried on at an antique store, but that's not really a hat--it's a hair accesory. Anyone want to point me to a good Etsy shop with cute vintage hats? Kaythanxbye.


After much soul searching and prayer I selected a cute top in the women's section. The deep olive green shirt caught my eyes with its rows of ruffles and looped collar. Looped collar--you know where there's a hole just at the top. These kinds of shirts have been my favorite since I was a little girl. The top I think is perfect for casual settings in a pair of jeans, yet formal enough for a more dressy function with a pretty skirt. Hence why I wore it to church yesterday.

Then again what was I thinking?

The last time I wore a shirt with a "looped collar," I was perhaps twelve. Twelve meant I had ant bites for a chest. Ant bites meant no cleavage or accidental decolletage.


My husband warned me before we left home that perhaps I ought to wear a tank underneath my shirt. He didnt say my new top was revealing or immodest, he only asked if I was going to wear a shirt underneath. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought I looked fine. I looked fine that is until I sat in the church pew and looked down and realized that, well, my ant bites were no longer ant bites. Apparently I have been blessed three children later. I tried to adjust my shirt which just made things worse. I could see the bishopric in front of me and I felt the eyes of the entire congregation staring at my looped collar. Even if it was my imagination. So what did I do?

I snuck out during the Sacrament prayer.

That's right--before I could be served the bread and water I left. I went home and found a tank top and put it on underneath. I was gone and back to church in ten minutes.


Note To Self: Don't wear the looped collar shirt without a tank underneath unless you're trying to build confidence for a Nude Fest.


I hate it when my husband is right.

17 Comments:

Life is good! said...

there is always a member of the bishopric who falls asleep, you had your chance to keep him awake and you missed it. what to do, what to do!
http://randommusingsfrommypov.com

KMDuff said...

LOL! I hate it when DH is right about stuff too. :D

DangGina said...

Don't you wish that guys would just say exactly what they're thinking? (I mean, he IS your husband; it's totally appropriate for him to talk about your boosies, right?)

HA! I am thinking that your church posts are becoming my favorite...Just sayin'.

Chef E said...

Me two :), and its gotten often as I get older :)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Life is Good, Now why didnt I think of that? lol

KMDuff, I know, for real! :)

DangGina, Maybe I should just on Mondays...:p

Chef E, I guess I'm just going to have be more careful...

Auntie Em said...

I have a dress like that. I didn't quite realize just how much a person could see until I noticed while talking to the EQ pres was talking to my chest instead of looking me in the eyes. after that i always wore a tank under it but sheesh... i was the talk of the ward for a while... Always enjoy... and the shirt is REALLY cute!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

The shirt is adorable and as an "ant bite" sort of woman, thank you for going to put on a tank. I don't want my husband knowing what he could have had. ;)

the nightingale said...

Ha, ha! I love the story... my husband probably wouldn't have said anything (especially since I've not been quite as blessed in areas as you have *darn*) but I totally agree with you about hating when your man's right (they never do let you forget it) :)

Screwed Up Texan said...

Auntie Em, Woohoo! I am not the only one!

Mindee, Ha!

the nightingale, Gosh I wish I were smaller. Why do the hubs always have to be right...or at least sometimes?

GreenTease said...

so comforting to know i'm not the only one.... great church story.

Jana said...

too funny, I always did that with skirts..I am too tall no matter what. I learned my lesson the hard way. but I absolutely love that shirt!! what a good guy to spoil you!

Everyday Girl said...

Hahahaha. My friends used to kid me about my boobsies.... that "just rub pimplex cream... and we won't know there was anything there to start with..." But one son later, and I have to consider carefully how I wear my blouses too. I like your blouse though, would still wear it without a tank, maybe two more sons, and I will need that tank. Very funny post!

NitWit1 said...

I am a short person under 5 feet. Even some simple things like circular tops, or v-neck tees, show a great amount of cleavage. Since I'm 73 that ain't pretty as there is very little else!!!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Green Tease, You sneak out of church too? lol

Jana, He shows his good side from time to time. :)

Everyday Girl, Best thing about the shirt is that it only cost $20. Not too shabby for a brand new shirt. Weirdest thing is that the hubs actually let me spend that much on a shirt without griping.

NitWit1, I sure hope I have your confidence when I'm your age. You are spunky!

Susan Marie said...

What a funny story! It seems like all blouses and dresses are cut to display these days... I've had to start wearing a cami just about every Sunday ever since the preacher hollered out once during his sermon, "You ladies need to start covering yourselves up!" Thankfully, he wasn't looking at me, but anyhow...

p.s. your blouse is cute, tank or no tank!

LoveFeast Table said...

I loved your story, but I have to tell you, what I loved a bit more, was getting a glimpse of your decor! Adorable! Love the textures and colors! Not to mention the shirt was a great accessory! -kristin

edgar cabrera said...

can i have your dog? Pleassse!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin