Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Too Much In Common


Before we left to travel back home from Utah, my husband's mother stopped us to give us some photographs she had collected of her children to give each of her sons. She had gone through the family albums and one by one taken the photographs out and organized each and split them between her five sons.

Although she did not give an official reason for doing this, I suppose my mother-in-law's ultimate decision stemmed from her divorce from her children's father of nearly thirty-two years last year. It is my guess that she has decided to move on with her life, and part of doing so meant giving these personal memories away to her sons including many photographs of her, my father-in-law, and her sons. I don't know if she kept any photographs for herself, but she didn't seem to want any when we asked her. Oh well--she has always walked a different path than most and so perhaps I will never understand her mind.

Or perhaps I am just assuming too much. It is possible.

Whatever her reasons may be to have given us this box of photographs I am glad she did. I didn't know my husband as a child and matter of fact I met him when I was barely twenty and married him four months later. I enjoyed combing through the old photographs and inquiring my husband about each one. I enjoyed looking at my husband's baby face and seeing my own children in these photographs.



This is one of my favorites--bright eyes, face in focus. Reminds me of my middle child (you know, the one who likes pancake syrup on everything).



Here he is eating a cantaloupe...still one of his favorite foods. If I remember clearly, my oldest ate from this same baby chair when we lived in Utah.



My favorite photograph is this one with my mother-in-law appearing happy as a young mother. I often wonder what she was like back then...perhaps she was less cynical and happier. I would have loved to have known her that way. She and I have never gotten along well and I think it will take a miracle for us to have a great relationship. However, I'd like to remember her just like this picture: smiling, loving, caring, hopeful. Perhaps as she starts her new life she can find that part of herself again.



Perhaps my mother-in-law and I don't get along because we have way too much in common. You know, like that seventies yellow and Formica wood countertops. I hate to admit it, but yes...that's it, we have way too much in common.

Gosh I hate admitting that.

16 Comments:

vickysplace1 said...

I enjoyed your story today. Family's have similar traits. BEST WISHES VICKY

Leia said...

Cute photos!

chicamom85 said...

That was a nice post, I love old pictures. I also never saw eye to eye with my Mother in law.

Anne

pranksygang said...

thats a very interesting story!! all the pictures are very cute!

RoughRyde said...

What a great blog!

Michelle Johnson said...

Good Morning. Your husbands baby pictures are great. I love the one of him w/ cantaloupe. I loved my first mother law but, my second and I have had some struggles. Now we only speak on the phone occasionally and that seems to be our best communications. Have a great day.

Linn said...

I've started following your blog through the blogs of note. You tell wonderful stories. I hope you will check me out too at linn-mommy23.blogspot.com. I have an 8 yr old and twin boys who will be 4 soon.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Be careful . . . as the mother of three boys you just never know when those mil comments will come back to bite you in the butt one day! LOL!

Just--Me said...

Aww such cute photos and a lovely story! xxx

Karen said...

How lovely to have those photos. I have all my husbands pictures as well, but this if because his mom knew she was dying and that it would be too much for her husband to handle dividing up of family memories. It turned out to be a very wise choice since my father in law did not live that much long than her. (8 years is all I think.) My husband thinks I am just like his mom. I would have liked to have known her better so I could say whether that is founded or not.

Thanks for checking in on me. I haven't had the emotional energy left to blog lately. With my grandparents deaths, my mom's double knee replacement surgery, my sisters cheating husband (which I have to keep to myself, because no one else knows) and her soon to be messy divorce, oh and my husband entertaining a new job, has left me empty. (and I am the queen of run on sentences!!) I am not done blogging, I am just surviving for a week or two more, then I will be back.

Screwed Up Texan said...

But Mindee...I was really trying to be nice...honestly. lol

Michelle and Chicamom85, I see I am not alone. Whew!

Thank you to everyone for stopping by today.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Yeah Karen! Glad to hear you will be back soon! Sorry things have been stressful lately--I thought that was perhaps why you hadnt blogged for a few weeks. I'll be here when you get back.

the nightingale said...

Well, :) all relationships ( especially that one ) are imperfect ( to say the least ) but I'm sure it's the same way with yours as it is with mine. I was told ( upon marrying my husband ) that it didn't matter whether they liked me or not, as long as I was a good wife to their son and a good mom to the grand kids. And you could be onto something there, too. :) You two might just have more in common than you know.

NitWit1 said...

I started following your blog today and caught up on all the stories. As a former Texan, any blog that relates to Texas or Arkansas catches my eye.

I am adopted and fortunately had a wonderful home. When I was 64 and because of multiplicity of health problems I was able to open my court records and find my biological family. A successful reunion; I now have two loving families, but all parents are deceased.

I must say your story is a look at things gone wrong, which I never experienced. I am so glad you have a family and children to love and be loved by. only best wishes for you............

Maranatha said...

Do you worry about posting about your MIL? I have thought about it but I wouldn't want her to be offended! We get along USUALLY, so I'm afraid of rocking the boat. But there is sometimes some great blogging material in that relationship!

Reny Sitanggang said...

What a wonderful life,
....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin