Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Long Time Friends


Usually when I go on vacation it is really not a vacation for me at all. Between yelling at the kids to quit touching each other every five minutes to barely getting a good night's rest, I am exhausted and cranky. The complete drive from our town in North Texas to Price in central Utah is roughly twenty-four hours of pure driving. Somehow we have made the trip in two days in the past.

This time we took our sweet time traveling.

I knew we'd be passing through southern Arizona and so I emailed a long time friend of mine and asked her if she'd like to get together when we passed through. Not only did she accept the offer of meeting, but she rather enthusiastically asked us if we wanted to stay the night with her little family. Boy am I glad she asked, because later the day we met we ended up really needing her help (something I don't feel quite like delving into at the moment). I will be forever indebted to my friend and her husband for their generosity--and not just because my dog ate her blinds. Bad Lily.

My dog ate her leash on vacation too. Moving along...


To me, my friend looks exactly like she did as a teenager--only physically more mature and more beautiful. I've always been jealous of her. I remember on more than a few occasions trying to pluck my eyebrows so they matched hers, because I wanted to be as pretty as her. Silly things we women do. It is like when you go to the hair salon and ask for the Jennifer Aniston look, but that look doesn't exactly suit you. I was always the big behemoth and she was always the cutie patootie.

Argh...that danged green-eyed monster!

Then the babies! My friend has four children, the two youngest of which are twin girls. One is a sweet, shy, reflective baby which complimented her mom's personality.


My friend's other little girl is a bubbly, inquisitive, and curious little thing with cheeks the size of peaches. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to grab her little cheeks and squish them.



And since I can't have a little girl of my own, my friend let me use her little girls' hair bands and hairbrush and style my dog's hair. It was a moment I will cherish forever.


Even if Lily ate my friend's blinds.

14 Comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

It's great to have these kind of friends. Her children are gorgeous. That baby's cheeks are perfect for squeezing. Your dog looks stylin' in that picture. Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Cute! But watch this!!! www.advgazelle.com
or go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/ADV-GAZELLE/90500197513

Jennifer said...

It is always great to have friends like these--to turn to, or spend the night with on a long trip, whatever!

And your dog, though she apparently likes to eat blinds, seems sweet too! I think it is nice that your friend let you do up her hair! hahah!

AZ Mommy said...

ha ha cute dog :0)

Lee Beth said...

Yes, adorable dog, beautiful kids, Your blog is very nice. I really liked looking through it. How great, it seems it would be, to live out west.

Kristi said...

I blush. It was great to see you guys again. Glad we could be there when you needed us. Love ya!

Maranatha said...

Love the doggy's do! (hairdo, not doo doo)

Court said...

Bad Lily! I'm sorry, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but the image I have of your little dog eating her leash just has me rolling, oh my, too funny!

This brought back memories of taking family vacations with my family, my brother and I fighting over who had the most space in the back seat, ah, those were good times. :)

unconfidentialcook said...

Could everyone possibly be cuter?

Crystal said...

Those babies are adorable. Girl I feel ya about traveling long distance with kiddos. Sometimes it can be brutal.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

It's so nice to meet up with old friends. Especially old friends with adorable babies!

I always wanted to be the little, cute one too. sigh.

Boots said...

sweet babies and youre right friends like that (that never change) well you just want to shake'em after you hug'em! ;0)
what a blog ...totally amazing history but such talent in sharing!

the nightingale said...

Well, so much for the dog behaving herself! Nice pic of you and your friend. Cute pics of the twins. Glad for you having a friend like that. Good to hear. :)

Chef E said...

Hi! Cute...

I keep trying to email you, but my server is not sending out? So if we could meet Monday or Tuesday? I am also available Sunday... E

Blog Widget by LinkWithin