Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lesson Learned...Or Not. Depends on How You Look at It.


Did I tell you how the week before we left on vacation my littlest got stung by six yellow jackets that had made a nest under the grill? Long story short, my youngest decided to check out the yellow jackets' home and "pet" them. Suddenly at once I heard a murderous scream and racous crying and ran to my little boy's rescue where I freaked out and called 911. Once the paramedics arrived, my son was completely over his hyperventilating and was more than happy to take his clothes off so the paramedics could see his body (they were checking him for more stings). To which my oldest who was home sick from school miraculously healed with a "Ha ha Mommy! I got you! I am really not sick!" right in front of said paramedics.

I was so ready to leave on vacation.

Our first stop: Monahans Sandhills State Park just west of Odessa, Texas. It was beautiful. The sand dunes were ginourmous. The skies spectacular. The weather...freaking hot.


The flowers were interesting and unique--something I had never seen before.


The yellow jackets loved these flowers sitting next to the water spicket. My youngest then decided to "pet" the yellow jackets again. Can you guess what happened? That kid never learns. I did learn and did not call 911 or the Park Ranger. I gave him a bandaid and told him to cut it out.


Bandaids cure everything.

Except they dont cure my fear of these...can you guess what this is?


That's right: a tarantula. It was half baked laying one-third of its way up a huge sand dune. It was dead. That fact did not deter my youngest or middle child or oldest or husband to pick up the tarantula and play with it.

Nor did it deter them from picking up this huge hairy ant and probing it inside a cup. A red harvester ant bit me while on vacation and over a week later I can still feel it's bite. What is up with boys and bugs? Someone tell me please.



Boys will be boys won't they.

33 Comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Oh NOW I remember why I don't live in Texas! The bugs! Ew, ew, ew.

I'm glad you have your girlie dog. It sounds like you need the company.

Chef E said...

AH!!! I guess I got lucky, my son was not drawn to bugs as he was finding dare devil things to do, and broke his collar bone :O)

We could not find our paypal password, so no go on the payment...so tell me when you are available next week? Monday works for me, or Tuesday???

shanda@verisign.com said...

yellow jackets are rough

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Those flowers are great! Looks like you had a fun time!!

primavera123 said...

The boys-and-bugs thing is universal. My son invariably aims himself toward anything stingy, crawly and squirmy like a heat seeking missile. In the exact same environment my daughter remains immaculately clean and unstung, happily picking flowers.

http://primavera123-inthelifestyle.blogspot.com/

BRUNO said...

SALUTI DALL'ITALY.. COMPLIMENTI FOR YOU SITE..

BRUNO said...

SALUTI DALL'ITALY.. COMPLIMENT FOR YOU SITE..

Beth said...

I stopped by via Blog of Note...as a fellow Crazy Texan I can say...

EEEWWWWWW to the ants and tarantula!!

At least there was no scorpions petting!

Adele Sophie said...

incredible!!!! ;)

The Little Jewelry Box said...

Congrats on being the blog of note! Great site!

2KoP said...

I have three boys and a husband along with a new boy kitten, all of whom seem to love bugs. My husband owns a pet shop where we sell tarantulas (and scorpions). Love your money saving tips.

Maranatha said...

I saw you on blogs of note. I am always looking for a great mommy blog! I look forward to following yours. The layout & graphics are spectacular! Your story about petting the yellow jackets had me cracking up. Thank you so much!

Shawna said...

Gross! I've never been stung, thank goodness, and I've never encountered a tarantula, dead or otherwise!

Shawna's Study Abroad

kristi said...

We just got home from West Tx yesterday! And New Mexico!! I grew up in Grandfalls/Monahans.

John Sarkar said...

Hey Texan, wasn't surprised that similar thoughts live on the other side of the world!

The villager: said...

I suppose boys will always get into scrapes !

chicamom85 said...

I love your blog. I have to admit I have never heard of watermelon pie. I am going to check it out.

Thanks Anne

blessingsgoddess said...

Good blog. Well done.

Niki said...

Aren't female spiders more aggressive than male ones? Either way, thankful that I live in Sweden with no spiders and stuff.

Have a nice day :)

ayomaos said...

Great site... thank's for sharing

sarah toa said...

Nice blog, well done. See you in australia maybe?

Princesssabina said...

haha i like your youngest
he has a good sense of humor
too bad it was his mother that he decided to joke with

cray said...

Nice photos

Salman said...

Hello
Really awesome post I love reading the reviews about spiders.

Regards
Salman
Best Tips 4 Blogging

icastico said...

I laughed at the yellow jacket petting. My favorite outdoor "what-was-he-thinking" was a kid we were camping with in NM who had heard you could eat cactus, so he picked up a nice big piece of prickly pear, and bit right into it...

Shellgirl said...

I'm so glad you had fun! I hate bugs and such too, but that makes the boys just love them more. And they never outgrow it!

Nettie said...

Congrats on BON, from a fellow N. Texan. Entertaining blog.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Thank you to all those that have stopped by via Blog of Note. I do appreciate it and cant wait to interact with y'all!

Joe Renaud said...

this is awesome man! definitely following your site!

Larryk12309 said...

Argh!

Yellow jackets always hang out in the yard. Right where I need to weed!

DOH!

Manfred Hexter said...

Those sand dunes would offer me great joy as a child. You have struck a heart string.

William said...

Manfred Hexter thanks you, as does William Manning.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Manfred and William, your blog is freakin hilarious. But don't bother emailing me since I don't hold garage sales and I don't have the time to respond, Ha! I only keep Christian Scientist emails from one certain "Grover" b/c I had a crush on the blue dude as a kid. I just didn't realize he was religious until now.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin