Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jeep of Horrors


Was that another flash of lightening?! Whoah! Did you see that!


Sorry guys--it was just my camera again. By the way I am going to put you online and I promise I'll blur out your license plate number.



And then I thought I was going to lose my life.

Surely I was going to die--not because anyone was mad at me, but because my husband's cousin, Rick Johnson, was taking my husband and me on an off road jeep ride up and down wash banks and steep desert knolls. At least five times I thought we were going to tip as I sat in the middle of the backseat contemplating my escape from the Jeep of Horrors.


My husband and Rick are used to off roading having grown up on and near their grandfather's farm in central Utah just outside of Price. Growing up along the Gordon Creek Wash the cousins had plenty of exploring whether by foot or on dirt bikes. One of the first things my husband did when we got to Utah last week was jump on Rick's old trials bike and head down the wash with his cousin and cousin's friend. Rick is now at Champ level with the Wasatch Trials Association and therefor has tons of experience in off roading.

That fact did not deter the knot in my stomach and my feelings of trepidation as I feared I may never see my children again. One of us should have stayed home with the kids.

And then my husband laughed at me.

Up the backside of the ledge that surrounds their grandfather's property we drove by passing the homes near the golf course wondering if those who lived inside knew about the solitude and magnificence that the ledge brought to those that venture there. The old gas roads were rocky and some nearly washed out from recent rains brought to this high desert valley. The landscape was unusually green as a result of the recent rainfall and the scent of incoming rain and crushed sagebrush ever present. We could not have made it up the ledge without the aid of Rick's jeep.



Nearly getting stuck in the mud was the best part.



From high up on the ledge we could see most of the surrounding area: the city of Price, the homes of Carbonville, the Gordon Creek, miles and miles of desert and ledges and Pinnacle Peak. It was easy to imagine oneself as a Native American hunting deer and other wild game. A family member once found a red jasper arrowhead up here many years ago. Other farmers have found Native American artifacts and donated them to the CEU Prehistoric Museum located in Downtown Price.


We found adventure, good times, and memories.

And then the lightening really began to flash and the thunder roll as we decided to make our way back home. I never did get back into the Jeep of Horrors after that night...once was enough for me.

19 Comments:

Tazana said...

What an awesome blog...starting following it yesterday...

Jen said...

oooh, that looks like FUN!

I just got back (literally, today) from a few days in Fort Worth. Texas is bee-yew-ti-full.

I love it.

Native Michigander am I, meant I nearly melted at the Botanic Garden.

You have a fab blog!

Michelle Johnson said...

Tripped across your path by way of Blog of Note. What I've seen is rather impressive. Your tale of off roading reminds me of a time my husband and I went riding on his four wheeler into the hills. I was holding onto a drooping tree limb for dear life as he was navigating our way down the hill- he turns to me and says hold on not knowing I was. I would do it again in a heartbeat though. I simply love riding around the woods like that. At least you were a sport about the whole experience and I bet it was gorgeous being on top of the world. Great photos. Have a nice night.

Not So Glamorous Housewife said...

Sounds like an adventure to me. Anyone who has children and can squeeze a little adventure into life is good in my book. Nice blog. (found you on blogs of note)

Jennifer said...

I'm following you. :P

My dad is a Jeep nut, as well, and loves off-road craziness.

It is fun for me, but there have been several times where I felt like we were going to tip, and my dad just simply said, "we have rollover bars." as if that is the answer to everything...

It doesn't matter to me if there are rollover bars. I don't want to roll over!

I remember that my father and I hit a deer in the middle of the night and the Jeep almost tipped over. I screamed. I think I woke the people whose yard was eventually filled with blood. I'm not soft, but I do not like to see a deer actually in pain. I would rather it just sit there so I can get the image of the accident out of my head, you know?

Rhea said...

In high school we did a lot of off roading (we called it Froading), and it was crazy dangerous and scary. But we loved it.

Gorgeous photos!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by! Not even sure where to begin to thank everyone for their compliments and following. I am honored to make Blog of Note. To those over at Blogger...Spongebob may be in your future soon (still negotiating with him ya know). For those confused by me mentioning Spongebob...run away now.

Isaac Yassar said...

My cousin is an off-roader. Reading this post reminds me of him. I haven't seen him for a couple of months now.

Corina said...

From one Texan to another, Congrats on being selected as a Blog of Note :)

MrsSchlereth said...

I to was raised in Utah. Reading this blog brought back so many memories of weekends spent 4 wheelin' in the mountains! I'm love the pictures too!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Men have a truly bizarre idea of what constitutes "fun."

Andrea Hawkins said...

I really love your pictures. My husband is also a scewed up texan, and I love him.

Vanessa said...

You are really making me miss the West. Love LOVE the photos! You are so talented! And your kids are just too dang cute. It's always more fun when your kids are fun, too.

R.J. said...

Love the humor. All giggles welcome.

Maranatha said...

I see you sell on etsy? I'll have to check your shop! LOVE your post. Your narration is inspiring. I'm busy working today but had to check out your post before I get back to the grind. Have a relaxing weekend!

Rachael said...

Awesome blog! Will definitely keep following along =) Love your style of writing,keep up the good work.

Peter Daniel Marsay said...

Sounds exciting. Lightening... so dangerous and yet so, attractive. If that makes sense and even if not!

Anonymous said...

wonderful~~~

Karen said...

Your husbands cousin looks REALLY FAMILIAR! Can't for sure say why....... Huh....

Gorgeous pictures. I love that part of Utah.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin