Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Came Back


I once wanted to be a professional cyclist. I wanted to be the woman version of Lance Armstrong and race my ten-speed through mountains, canyons, and deserts. When my husband's mission companion in Ecuador rode his bike through Wyoming and Colorado I knew I wanted to follow in his foot pedals. Never mind the heat, the hail, and the hunger--it was what I wanted to do.

So I bought myself a cheap bicycle from Walmart and started clocking myself around town.

Up city hills and down main roads I became quite adept at maneuvering my red and silver Roadmaster. Soon I was riding six to seven miles in just under twenty minutes and I was feeling quite proud of myself in my new athletic gear and plastic safety helmet.

Then one day I decided to take my bicycle for a ride down an extremely steep and narrow sidewalk. This particular stretch of sidewalk is so steep that it requires breaking at the halfway point to a slow pace and then allowing oneself to ride with the grade after that point. It is rather an easy hill to ride considering that it is straight with no obstructions once at the top.

Unless there is a person talking on their cell phone and walking their dog at the same time.

There I was bike flying in one direction and my head and knees in another off the side of a busy road and to the astonishment of the lady that couldn't walk and talk at the same time. My face hit the rock retaining wall and my right knee drug along the sidewalk, ripping most of the skin off. Begging not to go to the doctors and toughing it out at home with lots of Band-Aids, I finally was able to walk after a month.

I never did get on my bicycle again. In fact, it sits on my back deck rusting at the moment.


That is sort of how I stopped going to church. I got very proud of myself and then hit a few bumps in the road such as people not being able to talk and listen at the same time. So, I stopped attending church until I was ready to go back for good. It's been over a year, but last Sunday I finally went back . I felt weird, but the members were kind to me and my husband. I really didn't expect them to behave this way. I don't know what I expected.

I sure as heck didn't expect to have a lesson on strong drinks during Sunday School as I sat near the back with a full bottle of PowerEdge Energy drink hidden inside my purse. I don't know how you people--especially moms--do it without a jolt of energy nearby. I felt like I was sneaking whiskey into church. For real. Going back to church has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever made, however I am not changing my mind.

Heck, if I can convince myself to go back to church, then perhaps I can get myself motivated enough to get back on that ten-speed. Perhaps. Oh, and now I am one up on my mother-in-law...not that I was keeping track or anything.

23 Comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

Hope you can gather the courage to get back on that bicycle like you did for church. I'm proud that you were able to make such a strong decision.

Richter's said...

Don't give up on the bike, mistakes happen and that is how we learn. I learn from my mistakes or boo-boos everyday. Get the courage and take the bike off the porch and brush off some of that rust, get back on it. I am in the same situation with the church thing, i am catholic and I can not understand the priest because he is polish and he talks with his accent and speaks polish in the sermon, I guess I need the courage to go back myself.. Please don't erase me or block me, I am just looking for blog buds.. Thank you. and check out my blog on www.jenniferanddalerichter.blogspot.com

The Other Woman said...

Wow. I just stumbled across your blog not expecting a member of the church. I'm glad you went back. I've gone back too, with clear intent rather than playing on my cell phone and half listening. It makes a difference. :)

NitWit1 said...

I wish my artificial knees liked bicycles. In these days of high gas prices, think of the gas savings and the exercise!!!

I never quit church attendance. When I think about it, it is time to find a more compatible group which I have done a few times in my 70+ years. :~D

NitWit1 said...

I wish my artificial knees liked bicycles. In these days of high gas prices, think of the gas savings and the exercise!!!

I never quit church attendance. When I think about it, it is time to find a more compatible group which I have done a few times in my 70+ years. :~D

Jana said...

Oh how lovely!! your blog is so wonderful and real! thanks so much! I found you on "blogs of note" those peeps know what they are doing!!

331 Miles said...

An energy drink is considered a "strong drink"? Really? Because of the LDS view of caffeine? I was raised Baptist, so I'm curious...

Get back on the bike. I'm sure you've been in a car accident, or at least fallen while walking. I think you're still doing those things, right? ;)

Screwed Up Texan said...

331 Miles, technically not forbidden by the Word of Wisdom (I was totally going to abbreviate with WoW, but then I realized a Warcraft junkie may be reading this), but in the spirit of the advice then it would be "strong." Either way, I am not giving up my caffeine.

BTW, half my family is Southern Baptist so I get asked a lot. No worries. Perhaps I will get my fat cupcake butt back on the bike...after 100 + temps?

Auntie Em said...

I really enjoyed your blog and your analogy. Inspirational even, I haven't been to church for a while and I've been rocking back and forth about going but perhaps you have been the "sign" or kick-in-the-butt that I needed. I am scared though. Thank you again for your post I have really enjoyed reading your blog as of late.

Jennifer said...

Wow! I hate to hear about that bike-riding accident. That sounds really rough. I had a similar accident when some guy decided that me flying down the sidewalk was no threat to his pick-up truck and after waving at me in a friendly, neighborly way, continues to back his truck up. The hill was just as steep, and braking so suddenly caused a worse accident for me than possibly just hitting the side of the truck bed--at least then I would have hit something that would have hurt but would have been less detrimental than making my bike and I fly in the air and then hit the pavement hard.

Candance said...

Uh, when you said strong drinks, I thought you meant something like the margarita I have in a mug sitting right next to me. Now, I feel guilty about that. And my love for coffee. And that I was going to write a blog post about why I'm so irreverent. Great.

I didn't mean to laugh at the bike story. I feel guilty about that, too. Sorry. I'm glad your face healed real good.

Maranatha said...

I attend church regularly and drink all manners of caffeine, my latest vice is called Zip Fizz. Of course, I go to a Calvary Chapel where half the pastor's family works at Starbucks!

I loved your story. Beautiful.

Chad Casow said...

Ouch, crashing on a bike? I 'flew' off of a scooter as a child (and still have the scars) and never quite found the courage to get back on, so I can relate. Your story was slightly more amusing though, I must say. And are energy drinks considered 'strong'? I don't drink alcohol, but I'm sure an energy drink once in a while is okay : ]. Good luck with your biking troubles.

-Chad

chasm-of-chad.blogspot.com

Ben said...

Biking or attending church, you just have to find the right path...and hope someone doesn't make you crash.

Mik said...

I need to get back to my cycling too, I started after coming to the states but what with people driving on the wrong side of the road I was worried about forgetting and cycling into a Mack truck!

Here via The Bloggess'

Screwed Up Texan said...

To all those that have been in scooter/bike/car/other crashes...my face and knees go out to you. And like Candance said...good thing my face healed real good. Sorry girl, but you made me giggle.

And...I don't think I can quit the caffeine until I am guaranteed I wont be bored. Sorry y'all, don't mean to offend, just keepin' it real.

PS Candance: has anyone ever noted that your name spells Can Dance--can you? Please don't mess my face up for that.

the nightingale said...

Gosh! sorry about the accident. That must've felt horrible. (I've been there) As for the church thing, good for you if you think it's worth it, but God isn't confined to any cliques, towns, or 4 walls anywhere. It's a good thing to know. :)

PaulyD said...

Awesome Blog!

craftymug said...

Hi! I am glued to your stories. I love your writing and I'm enjoying your blog!

Inge' said...

I found your blog through "Blogs of Note". I have only read your bike post, but I do look forward to reading more! Your post brought back my own painful bike experience:) I am sure we all have at least one!

As for church, You have to go with what God lead you to do. We tend to get so caught up in our own views of what is right and wrong that we forget God has already put it in writing for us. I hope that you find a church that is not afraid to teach the truth and that you are able to draw closer to God because of it.

Sabriel said...

Wow! You are absolutely incredible! It's so good to see a member of the church on blogs of note. You go girl! It's been hard for me too and to see you on here has given me such a burst of courage and happiness! Don't give up!

Kristi said...

Glad you went back, and glad the ward was nice to you. Just remember that the gospel is perfect, but people aren't. That can get you through almost anything that might come your way as you get back in the habit of going. Hugs!

Isle Dance said...

Awww...way to go!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin