Screwed Up Texan has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://screweduptexan.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 22, 2009

What I Love About My Husband's Family Pioneers



My husband comes from a family with a long history of very proud pioneers.

Most of his family are/were farmers. Farming is hard work and very tiring. Not many folks can endure the long days and sometimes nights of farming and herding. Both the women and men in my husband's family grew up proud of being tougher than their friends and cousins that were just "city dudes."

These pioneers were among the first settlers of towns in Utah. John and Adelia Lambert are said to be the first settlers of Kamas, Utah in 1861. From there, John's descendants pioneered Uinta, Wasatch and Duchesne counties. There were also the Peacocks who helped settle Sanpete (San Pitch) County in central Utah.




One thing that really amazes me about my husband's ancestors is not only their rich histories as pioneers, but also their story-telling and lightheartedness. There is never a dull moment as I read and reread my husband's family history. For instance, a story told by J. Carlos Lambert, a grandson of John Lambert in 1932 shows my husband's family's humor clearly:

"We are told by our kinsfolk, the descendants of Charles Lambert, known by us as the 'Salt Lake Lamberts,' that all the Lamberts of Yorkshire, England, were of a common stock and that they traced their ancestry back to one Sir Rudolphus Lambert, an uncle of William the Conqueror, who came to England from Normandy in 1066 AD. This man, Rudolphus Lambert, was allotted an estate in Yorkshire.

Are there any famous men among our ancestors? Look in the back of the big dictionary and you will see the name of Daniel Lambert, huge Englishman, weighed 739 pounds. Grandfather Lambert said that this man was a member of our family and that when he died it was impossible to get him out the door. The side of the cabin was taken out in order to get him out. This is the only famous Lambert that I know anything about."




Apparently, Daniel was so famous that his picture sits by the letter L in old dictionaries.

The Lamberts weren't the only ones in my husband's family with great stories. In fact, the Keele/Peacock family also have a candid sense of humor. My husband's ancestors did their best to look at the bright side--even through the most difficult of situations. My husband's great-grandmother, Pearl, had her oldest child in 1931 in Duchesne. A few months later she caught a breast infection in one of her breasts while nursing her infant. This is the story she tells:

"In the fall of 1931 I caught cold in one of my breasts and for one month I never raised my head from the pillow. For three weeks I was so sick. Mom made bee wax plasters and put (them) on my breast, then she found a pup for me to nurse, and he sucked out all the caked milk...Mom found a little black pup, he didn't care who his mother was and he was right at home getting his dinner from me...After that I nursed six more children with no problems.

Those plasters really drawed. The credit belongs to the Priesthood and mother's good nursing...

Now at 80 years of age in 1992, I had a mammogram. The mammogram showed no cancer but Doctor Cox says there is something different in my left breast. He wanted to operate to make sure what it was. I said no, believing it was because of what happened in 1931.

Now, two more months have passed. I feel things are not right. I've fasted and prayed and been to the temple. March 18th I kept my appointment with Doctor Cox. He says it could be this story that has caused it, but he would feel better if we took a knife biopsy to see for sure. I feel good about doing it, so March 25, 1992 at 7:30 AM I went to the hospital as an out patient. He said I could drive myself down and home. It took a lot longer to do than it should have because of hospital mix ups. I should have been through by 10 AM and to be at my best friends funeral by 11 AM but I didn't get out until after 4 PM.

(In the end) Doctor Cox said I had a tumor but nothing to worry about. All that did was run up a big bill and make one breast larger than the other."


Oh how I wish I could have met that woman.

Do you have any interesting stories in your family history?

3 Comments:

Missy said...

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing.

My Great Grandfather's Grandfather took his wifes last name when they were married. I thought that was rather strange yet cool.

Michelle Hoad said...

I love to sit with my grandmother an listen to her stories. She never has anything bad to say about anyone.

KMDuff said...

Tons of 'em. Love the breastfeeding one. Family History stories are awesome. A few years ago I took a video camera to my grandparents and had them talk while I recorded.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin